We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanur TOO Touristy ????? :-)

The Lou
Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Sanur TOO Touristy ????? :-)

Hello fellow TA friends! my wife and I are planning a trip to Bali very soon and were wondering if Sanur beach was going to be congested with tourists? We dont mind tourists but too many can take away the allure of "getting away". We chose not to go to Katu for this reason so was wondering if Sanur would be a more laid back less touristy option as well as a good "home base" for day trips to Ubud and possibly Lombergan. Thank you so much and cant wait to enjoy beautiful BALI!!!!!!!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanur TOO Touristy ????? :-)

Hi Peteetrius,

Sanur is generally quieter than Kuta or Legian in terms of tourists numbers but if you are travelling in the next few weeks it will be Australian school holidays so I'm guessing will be more busy. Sanur is a good place to base yourself for other day trips.... Nusa Lembongan is quick 25 minute boat ride away for a lovely day trip. It is possible to travel to Ubud for a day but I'd be inclined to stay overnight to have a better look around. Enjoy your holiday

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,254 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanur TOO Touristy ????? :-)

If you are travelling in a few weeks time, you are leaving it pretty late to perhaps get the accommodation you would most like. I think you should consider staying somewhere like Candidasa - it's definitely a whole lot quieter and touristy than both Kuta and Sanur.

You will still have a good choice in accommodation available in Candidasa and be able to visit Ubud (just over an hour away from CD). Nusa Lembongan is now accessible out of Padangbai (15 minutes south of Candidasa).

Edited: 9:50 pm, June 26, 2013
Melbourne
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanur TOO Touristy ????? :-)

Sanur is much quieter than the Kuta Legian Seminyak side. Although there are plenty of tourists it is much more pleasant with a great beach path with markets and restaurants, the main street has plenty of good shops and restaurants to suit all tastes. You never feel too hassled, also it is a good place to base yourself to do lots of day trips.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanur TOO Touristy ????? :-)

The thing about Sanur is that it is so much more spread out than Kuta and Legian is, so while there may be just as many tourists there, it doesn't look or feel like it at all.

You also get to see snippets of local life in Sanur which you would be hard pressed to see in the more built up areas.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Legian
Level Contributor
5,750 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sanur TOO Touristy ????? :-)

You cerntainly do get snippets of the locals life in Sanur,just this morning we were watching the local children playing and flying their kites and many others just swimming and chatting amongst themselves,Sanur is a lovely peaceful spot to relax and unwind.

Happy planning.

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sanur TOO Touristy ????? :-)

If you read these forums enough everyone suggests Sanur , so I would think the place would be over crowded and touristy. If you want to escape that head north.

There are many nice beaches in Bali especially in the south like Bukit or if you don't want to go that far try Petitenget Beach in Kerobokan.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,815 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sanur TOO Touristy ????? :-)

The beach is much quieter than the SW coast resorts. Apart from Sundays when locals descend onto the beach for a day of sandy fun. Doesn't stop you bagging a sun lounger and soaking in the atmosphere. It is an established resort with tourists, and the facilities that go with it, so I would say it depends how much getting away from it you want exactly.

Katherine, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sanur TOO Touristy ????? :-)

We are currently in Sanur and are gob smacked at how quiet it is!! We have been here 3 times and have never seen it this quiet!

Katherine, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sanur TOO Touristy ????? :-)

We are currently in Sanur and are gob smacked at how quiet it is!! We have been here 3 times and have never seen it this quiet!

Gold Coast Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sanur TOO Touristy ????? :-)

We left Sanur yesterday, the beachfront path was calm and very few tourists. As we sat under the beautiful old trees beachfront at the mid placed Tandjung Sari we would see perhaps 1 family or pair walk by each 5 minute cycle...hardly Surfers Paradise! We go to Sanur to feel remnants of the traditional Bali, Ubud as a day trip or a few nights staying in one of the ALAMS in Nhyakhuning is also a calm retreat. Currently sitting on the shaded beach in front of Alam Gili on northern end of G Trawangan and it's very quiet!

I book at least 9 months ahead so no idea of how you would fare with short notice. July is high season for European visitors.