We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walleyworlds Vacation Day 4

Which Sanur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
479 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Walleyworlds Vacation Day 4

Sorry for the delay in posting, I’ve been run of my feet lately!

Day 4

We decided to have brekky out with the boys, so woke early, well the same time, and got ready to head to The Porch. This would have to be the best place for breakfast in Sanur and we ended up eating here quite a few times as well as getting T/A lunches. I had been recommended to have the eggs benedict and it was as good, if not better than anywhere at home. The service was fantastic; our waitress was lovely and made us feel better about grumpy bad baby and terrible two, although as soon as they got pancakes they were happy :) I went to check out the rooms (as The Porch is part of Flashbacks), we had originally booked here and while the location was much better we just wouldn’t have had the same space as we had at the villa, so happy with our choice. It’s a great spot for people with older kids or with no kids at all.

We then took a taxi to The Hyatt to meet friends who had arrived the night before. I had been wanting to check out the old world charm of this delightful hotel, and wasn’t let down. It really is a lovely place and not just a sterile environment where you could be anywhere in the world. We had a quick catch up by the pool, while terrible two went swimming in his smurf jocks with miss precocious four. They were super excited to see each other and had lots of fun giggling together and splashing about. My friend Mrs D was concerned about miss tomboys ear and took her to see the onsite doc (she was fine) so we made a plans to catch up later. Had to make all our plans on the spot as having no technology made us resort to old school ways of communicating! We then caught a taxi back to the villa to put bad baby to sleep. Mr soon to be 40 went shopping by himself and came back with (gasp) bombers singlets for the boys and 2 pairs of shorts for himself (300k for the lot) and T/A sandwiches from The Porch – yummo.

After lunch, and putting bad baby down for his arvo nap…..it all revolves around sleeps people!..... I wandered off to have a look around the famed Hardys, I wasn’t in a shopping mood so just bought a superman swim suit for terrible two and shaun the sheep swimmers for bad baby, cinnamon soap, and a cheap watch to tell the time while out and about, couldn’t really lug around the house clock! I then checked out a few of the closed door shops, while there was some beautiful clothes they were on average 400k+ which I couldn’t justify.

I met Mrs D at Alam Bali (next to Swastika) where we had an hour massage – bl00dy fantastic, $6 for an hour. I would definitely recommend this place, I think my masseuse had the strongest thumbs known to mankind! Mrs D and I then had a catchup at Ramay Resto over a Bintang (me) and pina colada (her), Mrs D was to consume many pina coladas on this trip! We caught a taxi back to the villa where Mr D and the kids had planned to meet her, unfortunately they were not there and we found out later that the taxi driver had been unable to find the place. We organised to meet at Massimos for dinner.

Initial service at Massimos was dismal, however improved as the night went on. The meals were all lovely (have lost receipts so can’t remember dishes or prices!) and the kids were bribed with gelato for dessert. The kids meals were brought out way too early so when we were eating our meals the kids were all quite cranky. It is hard being at a restaurant when the kids are small as I don’t feel comfortable letting them ‘just go’. So all my attention is focused on them and its hard to talk with friends, and Mr soon to be 40 of course! We then walked our friends back to the Hyatt, stopping in at CharMing on the way to see if it would be suitable for Mr soon to be 40’s 40th birthday dinner and ended up booking it on the spot.

From the Hyatt we caught a taxi back to the villa, and I have to say, it really annoys me when people give you a sob story about not putting the meter on. As the kids were cranky we just paid but if I’m by myself they don’t get a look in (note- we always tip the taxi drivers). Its one thing that’s really struck a chord with me these holidays is the massive $$ gap between the tourists and the Balinese/Indonesians, for example in many other countries as a tourist you eat where the locals eat however this is a rarity in Bali. I know I cant logically complain as I’m here acting like a total tourist but ….I’ve just noticed such a discrepancy this trip, as above and also many other things i.e. the Balinese are so talented artistically and have such an amazing culture but then there is rubbish strewn everywhere and no care about the environment. Anyway I’ll get off my soapbox. It’s my 8th trip to Bali and I’ve always been aware of these factors but it just really affected me this trip. Day 5 to come soon :)

Nagambie, Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walleyworlds Vacation Day 4

Thanks for sharing was wondering if I had missed a day, will have to try the Porch also the Hyatt.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walleyworlds Vacation Day 4

Thanks for the report. We have stayed at Flasbacks and really enjoyed it. The food at the Porch was great but did not include local dishes, so we ate elsewhere mainly. Looking forward to more of your adventures.

Cranbourne...
Level Contributor
6,255 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walleyworlds Vacation Day 4

Thanks Walley for the story, I'll have to look up "Flashbacks".

I agree with your comment "rubbish strewn everywhere and no care about the environment", It's hard for me to call Bali "Paradise" whilst this trash problem exists almost everywhere. And those Bomber singlets are no good, they have the wrong color stripe.

Bring on day 5.

Broome
Level Contributor
94 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walleyworlds Vacation Day 4

Hi Walley

Just wondering how Day 5 - 9 went?

And of course the BIG birthday.........and if the Step Mother-in-law made it out alive hahaha

:)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
479 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walleyworlds Vacation Day 4

Hi, we had lots of fun! Sorry life has caught up with me lately with my now 1 year old and 2 1/2 year old boys!

I will try to complete the rest of the JBR but if I don't, well we all made it out alive.... Just :)! Had dinner at Charming for mr 40's 40th, truthfully wasn't very impressed, and we're heading back to Bali sans extra family in both August and in march. Staying in tuban and Amed in August and prob seminyak in march as its a friends wedding.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Legian
Level Contributor
5,657 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walleyworlds Vacation Day 4

You had another great day,kids and all.

It also annoys me when the drivers do not put the meter on and you have to ask.

As for the rubbish i really think the actual locals need far more education into being environmentally friendly,

7. Re: Walleyworlds Vacation Day 4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 12, 2014