We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing with a local.

Which Sanur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide
Level Contributor
573 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing with a local.

Hi.

I have convinced a friend of mine and her partner to come to Bali with us in March. They have never been overseas and my friend has a terminal disease and may never get to Bali again so I want to do something special for her.

She's the kind of girl that loves the simple things in life. Not one for shopping, she would be more at home on the beach with a Bintang. She loves fishing. I thought it would nice for her to go on one of those "Junks" (think that's what they're called) that the locals fish on. Would I just go down the beach and approach someone? Has anyone ever fished with a local?

Any advice would be good cos all I can come up with when I search is the big day charters. Thanks.

Edited: 9:18 am, December 17, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing with a local.

Bump

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
20,979 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing with a local.

Yes, my husband fishes with one of the locals almost every time he goes to Bali. Not sure where you are staying, but he has fished in Sanur, Lovina and Candidasa on board a jukung.

You can just go for a wander along the beach in Sanur for instance and approach any of boatmen you come across along the shore. If they can't take your friend out fishing, they will know someone who can, or ask at reception at your hotel and they always know someone, ie friend or relative who can. The Jukungs will take 4 including the boatman and are great fun. I love to sail or motor in them, but often miss out on the fishing, as my husband tends to go very early in the morning....I prefer to sleep :)

Adelaide
Level Contributor
573 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing with a local.

Thanks Sue.

I'm with you on sleeping in.

Thanks for your reply. We're staying in a villa at Sanur close to the Hyatt. My friend will go with her partner. My hubby and I probably won't go. He gets sea sick. Can you tell me how long you go out for? Also, just so I don't get ripped off, how much am I looking at?

Thanks again Sue.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing with a local.

We normally pay around 50k per hour. Pretty the much the same as hiring a car. Usually head out before sunrise say 5am and return for breakfast so 3 or 4 hours.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
20,979 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing with a local.

When Mr Sue goes out, it's usually for around 3 hours and costs around 350,000rp, in Candidasa (which may be cheaper than in Sanur). You can set the time and anything around 150,000 per hour, I think is okay. They usually supply the gear and bait, but it's up to you if you want to bring some of your own. Just confirm with them what they are bringing.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
573 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing with a local.

Thanks for that. She will love it!

I'll arrange it and then supprise her with it. It will be a supprise when I tell her she has to be up before dawn!

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
20,979 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fishing with a local.

Or make it a time that suits her better or when the fish might be biting, but that's usually before dawn...darn!

8. Re: Fishing with a local.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 19, 2013