We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fabric Shops in Bali - fabric for clothes

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Fabric Shops in Bali - fabric for clothes

Am soon heading to Bali & would like to know the best areas to shop for fabrics such as Satin & Cotton for dresses & shirts. How do they compare to prices in Aus?

perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,669 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fabric Shops in Bali - fabric for clothes

Hi!

Jalan Sulawesi in Denpasar, opposite Denpasar Markets and around the corner in Jalan Gajah Mada are full of tiny little shops which are floor to ceiling bolts of materials of all types!

That would be the best place to start.

For Silk, (genuine) Duta House of Silk which is adjacent to Matahari Denpasar.

Both areas/shops are very very good when compared to Australian prices.

A dear friend of mine, was a dressmaker and she used to travel to Bali to buy the silk for wedding gowns.

There is also Alta Moda which is more upmarket in fabric and closer to Australian prices.

I have bought beautiful embroidered lace material, jerseys, polyestor, rayon and cotton and curtain materials in Jalan Sulawesi over the years and had no dramas whatsoever!

Hope this helps you!

wendy

Perth, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Fabric Shops in Bali - fabric for clothes

Hi,

I am looking for lace embroidered with beads or rhinestones.

And beautiful organza embroidered with patterns or beads.

Can you please tell me if they also have embroidered lace trims.

Thankyou

Queensland
Level Contributor
3,952 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fabric Shops in Bali - fabric for clothes

I shopped at Alta Moda in Feb this year on the advice of Janoko (tailor) in Poppies Lane II. I was actually shocked at how expensive the material was. As Wendy says, they are closer to Aus prices.

Mind you, we did buy some beautiful batik there, so didn't mind the expense too much.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fabric Shops in Bali - fabric for clothes

That's surprising. We had our daughters ball dress made there 2 years ago and bought silk and lace at Alta Moda in Denpasar for about a tenth of the Perth prices. Their prices must have gone up a lot.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fabric Shops in Bali - fabric for clothes

Definately Jl Sulawesi in Denpasar. It is a dress makers heaven!! I recently went and brought about 20metres of quilting material (batik) for my gran and paid a fraction of the price we would in perth. It was only $2.50 a metre there where as in perth your looking at around $10 a metre. Make sure you go early so you have a lot of time to casually browse all the amazing shops. Good luck

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fabric Shops in Bali - fabric for clothes

You could also have a look at Nogo in Sanur, on Jl Tamblingan opposite Wicked Parrot Restaurant, for hand woven fabrics.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fabric Shops in Bali - fabric for clothes

Very surprising as I bought fully embroidered cotton for $5 metre last trip

8. Re: Fabric Shops in Bali - fabric for clothes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, July 13, 2014