We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria

Nottingham-England
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Malaria

Hi Everyone

Is there any danger of getting Malaria in Bali or Malaysia. Going to Kualar Lumpar for a couple of nights end Oct then on to Bali for 12 nights.

Thanks

MariaMay-Ian

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,104 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria

Can't reply in regard to Malaysia, but in Bali you are okay, however, if you are travelling to any of the outer islands, ie Gili, you should seriously consider starting some sort of malaria prevention - my understanding is that you have to commence pretty well now, if it's going to be effective.

I would check on the Malaysia forum and see your doctor if you believe you are going to be in an area where there's a chance you could get infected.

Edited: 7:47 pm, September 10, 2010
Perth
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria

What cant you catch in Bali? Its all about being aware. use repellants, cover up ect...

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria

PaulSwanson is almost right. There is mosquito borne disease prevalent in urban areas in Bali- dengue. From day biting mosquito, not night biting as transmits malaria in other parts of the world.

No preventative, but worth knowing the symptoms in case they pop up. Severe sudden fever, headache, rash. Like the sorts of sudden bad flus, that people often get from plane rides anyway. But worth getting a test to see if you've had it, as there are long term implications. I won;t go into more details as there's lots of threads here with the info if you do a search in the little box at the top of the threads.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
707 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria

Bali and KL should be Malaria free.

Rule of thumb is that big urban cities(KL) do not have malaria.

Having said that, I would always contact an expert.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,555 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria

There's only a very small chance of Malaria in Bali and KL. As always with these things, speak to your GP before you travel rather than ask on the Internet, but they shouldn't recommend anti-malarials for these destinations.

Use a good DEET based repellent though to help deter the Dengue mossies, apply during the day (on top of sun lotion). There are mossies around on a night, so I would also apply repellent on an evening too.

Nottingham-England
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria

Thanks to everyone who replied to my Malaria enquiry. Will take comments on board.

MariaMay-Ian

7. Re: Malaria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:42 am, March 13, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Sanur