We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Availiblity of vitamins and supplements eg calcium in shops?

Which Sanur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
northcote australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Topic
Availiblity of vitamins and supplements eg calcium in shops?

Hi all, wonder if anyone can tell me if Vitamins and other supplements are readily available such as calcium and vitamin D, Omega 3 oils etc in pharmacies or supermarkets and if the prices are comparable to those in Australia? I was in Bali some years ago and found it difficult to buy any calcium tablets-and then the 'chemist' expected me to haggle for the vastly overpriced small plastic bag of calcium tablets. Hopefully things have changed. We will be based in Sanur but travelling to Ubud and other regions, probably not Kuta. We will be there for 2 months and I'd prefer not to have to take a range of supplements with me if they can be purchased in Bali. Thanks in advance.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Availiblity of vitamins and supplements eg calcium in shops?

Hi, I had to buy some Vitamin Tablets(Vit B if i remember correctly) Found them quite expensive as compared to Australia. Looked at some other bottles of supplements which were quite expensive as well. Probably better to get them in Oz before you leave. Cheers Cheryl

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
912 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Availiblity of vitamins and supplements eg calcium in shops?

I bought some Acidophilus Supplements in Bali this year. I think it cost about Aud $25 for 50 capsules. I got that at the pharmacy in the Carrefour shopping mall. The only other pharmacy I looked in was Guardian in DiscoveryMall. There wasn't a huge selection like our pharmacies. I did see fish oil there but didn't take notice of the price...sorry.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
8,596 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Availiblity of vitamins and supplements eg calcium in shops?

Any supplements or vitamins are extremely expensive in Indonesia. Further, there is no variety or choice of brands, formulations, etc. I bring all my pills and things for one year at a time.

northcote australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Availiblity of vitamins and supplements eg calcium in shops?

thanks heaps-this was just the info I needed to make a decision!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,743 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Availiblity of vitamins and supplements eg calcium in shops?

do take them with you, much cheaper to get them here and you will not get the choice in bali.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
20,979 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Availiblity of vitamins and supplements eg calcium in shops?

I too take calcium and omega 3 (and other medciations) and just count out what I need and take it with me. Doesn't take up much space or weigh much either.

7. Re: Availiblity of vitamins and supplements eg calcium in shops?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 12, 2011