We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me

Which Sanur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, Ontario...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Please help me

I am deciding on whether or not to make the long journey from Ontario, Canada, to Bali. I have a small 6 year old and want to find a reasonably priced place to stay, in Sanur (because apparently it's less congested and urban) than other places in Bali. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced hotel, with kids' club? Does anyone have any ideas on how I can make the journey there less tiresome. Should I make stops to other places on the way? I'm a single mom on a limited budget, who needs a vacation. I'm looking into next March or early April. Thanks!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help me

It does sound like a long journey, depending on your airline, you could do a 1 or 2 day stopover where you transit? Bali is a lovely place for a well deserved rest, and I'm sure you will both enjoy it. I haven't been to Sanur for years, so can't really give advice, but I hear that the Hyatt is a good resort.

There is also a Mercure resort which may be more affordable, but once agin, I don't know much about it. You could also look at Benoa where there is a reasonable priced Novotel. Legian may be another option, but perhaps a bit too busy for you.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,912 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help me

sanur is a great choice for you and your 6 yr old. my youngest is almost 6 and out of all the places we stay sanur is her favourite. the beach is 'safe' for swimming and there are hermit crabs and shells to collect. plenty of restaurants and water sports. it is also good to hire a pushbike and ride all along the beach front. how much do you want to spend per night. the bali hyatt is excellent and has a kids club and you can also go to the grand hyatt in nusa dua on the hotel shuttle but it is not what i call a 'budget' hotel. if you are happy to forgo a kids club the following places are budget and provide good basic clean accommodation. vila shanti and besakih hotel (both beach front and top of the list) puri sading, flash backs, sativa cottages, sari sanur (short walk to beach)

what is your budget per night? if you can't afford a place with a kids club don't worry as there are always other families and the local children on the beach love to play.

London, Ontario...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help me

Thank-you Bali4eva and Snooky for your helpful advice. I'm so envious that you live so close to such exotic places!!! I am trying to get my budget down as low as I can. I think that the highest that I can go is $130. per night (Canadian). I guess the place I'd like to stay in doesn't have to have a kids' club. What I'd like to do is book excursions through the resorts, not the travel agencies. Does anyone know if it is cheaper to book that way? I'm very interested in seeing the "real" Bali and her traditions. Because Canada is so far away, I'm open to staying longer than 2 weeks and perhaps travelling to other islands close by. Any ideas? Does anyone know how how the "around the world" ticket works?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,009 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help me

Hi,

An idea would if you're planning to stay 2 weeks would be to split you time between different places.

Sanur is an excellent choice with a 6y old. Also you could have a look at Ubud, Amed and maybe Lovina in the north.

The first 2 are accessible as a day visit, Lovina is about 3h from the south.

Lombok is another island to the east, but you also have closer to Bali Nusa Lembongan.

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help me

I spent time in Ubud with my daughters. Granted, they were a bit older but there are lots of fun activities for kids there. They took a batik painting class, dance class. They had so much fun! There are some wonderful dance performances there also. They may be a bit long for a little one but if he/she gets a bit tired they could just nod off on your lap! You can also watch the local children practice their dancing, I think they do this on a Wednesday afternoon and I think, from memory it's on a Sunday morning that they put on a performance and they just ask for a donation??

Ubud would be a great place to split up your time.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,912 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help me

hi

i suggest you book one of our recommended drivers for day trips. we never bother booking trips through the hotels or tour booking offices. you are too restricted, have to stop where / when they say and you don't have any choice where to eat, how long you want to stop etc and you pay per person.

hiring a recommended driver that we suggest will allow you to stop where / when / how long you want and a driver will help set up a day to suit your needs and wishes.

we have a long list of things to see and do as well.

my advice would be to stay at least 3 weeks given how long you have to travel to get to bali. choose 2 or 3 areas to stay and stick with more budget hotels to give you extra money to spend on day trips, shopping, massages and other activities.

sanur would be ideal (did you like any of the hotels i recommended?) as well as ubud. (look at tegal sari, greenfields bungalows, kebun indah, honeymoon guest house for starters). also look at places like Amed, candi dasa, Lovina for a few days or head over to nusa lembongan which is only about 45 min off bali or consider going to lombok and the gili islands for a week. if any of the above areas interest you we can help with suggestions for where to stay.

there is so much to see and do in bali that even 3 weeks there will still not be enough. it is very inexpensive when you choose budget hotels and eat at the wonderful local restaurants. taxis are cheap and drivers for day trips are very affordable.

London, Ontario...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help me

Thanks everyone for the tips. I've checked out all of the places mentioned in the posts and think it would be best to break up my stay and move around to various places. If I'm going to travel that far, I want to see and do as much as I can while I'm in Bali.

8. Re: Please help me

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 25, 2010