We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do for 8 year olds and a wife who loves markets

Perth WA
Level Contributor
111 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do for 8 year olds and a wife who loves markets

Thanks Whinnie for your advise,

I have looked at the list above which was very good. But can anyone suggest thing specifically for 8 year olds, I have already told Leela about water bom park, which we will be going to.

Is monkey forrest a good place to see monkeys in the wild up close ?

Does Bali have a night market like the "batu ferringgi" market in Penang ?

Does bali have a night food market like "long beach' at batu ferringi ? where all the food was excelant and safe, I ate at nearly every stall.

Is bali easy to drive around or should we use one of the reccomended drives in the list above ?

We will be staying in Sanur. Thanks to advise from this forrum.

Thanks again all, and Whinnie.

We ended up choosing Sativa Sanur Cottages.

best wishes

Eddie

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
557 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do for 8 year olds and a wife who loves markets

Hi,I would use a driver.Leela would probally love Bali safari & marine park.Great day out.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do for 8 year olds and a wife who loves markets

That's great Eddie. I second Bali Safari and Marine Park. A great day out and tell your daughter to take her bathers and a towel as well as they have a water park too. balisafarimarinepark.com/…

The monkey forest is good but can be scary for the timid, as well. You can buy bananas to give them and they can be a bit aggressive to get them. Do a search of the forum to get a few different and varied stories about the monkey forest and what precautions to take if you are going there.

A day trip on one of the boats to Lembongan Island is fun too. There are all sorts of water activities, an island tour.

The Bali Bird Park gets the thumbs up as well.

A trip up the east coast and a stop at Tirta Gangga (Water Palace) could be good. Again take bathers.

The Tree tops adventure has climbing courses for all ages.

The "ice Skating" on parafin wax.

And walking the beach path in Sanur your daughter will meet the locals.

There are markets all over Bali, some at night, but not specifically food. There are thousands of warungs (local cafes) and even though they don't look much from the outside the food is great and we haven't ever had Bali Belly from eating from them. In the more touristy areas, they are safe. But use your judgement when it comes to the food you will see on display in glass cabinets as this isn't reheated. We have never had a problem, but you never know. I wouldn't suggest eating off one of the carts that you will see wandering the streets, on your first trip to Bali, as unless you know the operator, this can be dangerous. Probably 9 times out of 10 you would be ok, but there is always the risk.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do for 8 year olds and a wife who loves markets

Oh and hire a driver, you will understand why we say that when you get there. But do a search of the forum again to find out the pros and cons.

Perth WA
Level Contributor
111 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do for 8 year olds and a wife who loves markets

Thanks again Whinnie & co,

I see your from Brisbane, we were over there earlier this year ( a few times), we bought a classic 1977 Drifter panel van from Capalaba and also took the 3 kids to Seawold resort for 12 days and all the theme parks.

Thanks again for the info on bali.

best wishes

Eddie (Perth)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do for 8 year olds and a wife who loves markets

LOL, I love Perth......it's a good stopover on the way home from Bali. LOL.

Only joking, I really do love it.

Perth WA
Level Contributor
111 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do for 8 year olds and a wife who loves markets

No worries,

Most peolple only think of us as a stop over, there's certainly not much here for the tourist, just the way we like it (ha ha).

I just want to know why you queenslanders always get the cheap air asia flights, especially to KL. Half the price to us, but twice the distance, it's not fair.

Thanks again for all you help.

Regards

Eddie

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do for 8 year olds and a wife who loves markets

Hi,

We were in Bali last August with our two daughters, one of them was also eight years old.

She liked the horseriding at Bali Island Horse in Yeh Gangga, you can see our review also on the Tripadvisor Site.

Furthermore she loved the bike tour we did with Banyan Tree Bike Tour, for review see also Tripadvisor.

And when we were in the north-west (Pemuteran) she loved going to the turtles everyday, which were at Reef Seen Resort, but it is a long distance from Sanur.

In Ababi she loved to visit the local school, indeed swimming at Tirtagganga watergarden.

And not to forget all the very kind Balinese girls working in the hotels who loved to braid her hair.

I am sure she will enjoy herself!

Have a nice trip,

Kind regards,

Sylvia

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,828 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do for 8 year olds and a wife who loves markets

I can't think of anywhere in Bali like the Long Beach Food Court specifically for food, but most of the markets have little food stalls dotted around, and you'll also see little stalls at the side of the road on an evening.

You'll find most of the markets like the night market in BF, but they're open in the daytime as well as at night; fake branded t-shirts, fake designer watches etc. The only thing you probably won't find is a Happy Bum.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,725 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do for 8 year olds and a wife who loves markets

When my daughter was 8, she loved the Bali zoo.

Also the bird park.

I also agree with safari park, get there early so the safari bus doesn't have long lines. And yes take your bathers.

There is also the butterfly park.

My daughter loved the monkeys...but we chose not to feed them as I believe thats when they get a bit scary. The guides also told us that if they do jump on you...get up and walk and they jump straight off (don't cower).

Enjoy.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,725 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do for 8 year olds and a wife who loves markets

Noodles, what is a happy bum ???