We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scooter rental in Sanur

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Topic
Scooter rental in Sanur

Hi there,

I will probably stay in Sanur for 4-5 days and I plan to get around with a scooter. Do you have any idea of where I could rent one and how much I'm supposed to pay per day? Is insurance included? And how safe is travelling there? (Please note I'm italian, I ride a scooter every day and italian scooter-drivers are considered crazy by western standards :D).

thanks!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scooter rental in Sanur

LOL, yes Italian scooter drivers are considered crazy but so is Balinese traffic and their lack of rules.

The biggest issue for you to sort out if after seeing Bali traffic, you still want to go ahead with your plan, is "are you covered by your travel insurance if you do". Many travel insurance policies won't cover you.

Obviously you have a scooter license in Italy but you are supposed to go to the nearest police office in Bali and pay for a "special" scooter license before you ride a scooter in Bali. If you are stopped by the police, they will check for this. In fact, 2 weeks ago they were having a big blitz on this and pulling up locals as well to check their scooter licenses. Chances are, if you are riding in a built up area such as Sanur, you will be stopped by the police at some point for the simple reason that you aren't Indonesian. Please do some research on what to do in this instance and what your rights are and aren't. In this case the police officers will just be after a bribe and this is usually the quickest way to on your way again. But no one can say how many times this will happen.

There scooter hire places all over the place, just take a walk down the main street of Sanur. As far as insurance, your guess is as good as mine as to how protected you are by their policies. I can't name a specific price per day for the scooter hire, but by our standards it's very cheap.

sussex
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Scooter rental in Sanur

HI,

I am wondering the same sort of thing, although i have heard that they have you over a barrel by way that the rental doesnt always include insurance etc and the local police then ask for a bribe for silly things, what is the best way to go about renting one?

3. Re: Scooter rental in Sanur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 am, February 11, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Sanur
Recent Conversations