We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Immunisation and other info on Sanur please

Which Sanur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Immunisation and other info on Sanur please

Hello,

Could anyone tell me if I need any injections before I go to Bali please?

Also any info on Sanur / the Puri Santrian would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,889 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Immunisation and other info on Sanur please

hi i would advise you check with your doctor about immunisations. a lot of people travel without any but there are some that are recommended. your doctor will advise you on the latest information. things like tetanus boosters are a good idea. some also go for hepatitis shots etc. basically it is not a "high risk" area but if you don't mind precautions then it is advisable to update your immunisation. use common sense and apply insect repellant to avoid mosquito bites, some areas and certain times of the day can be worse. you can even spray your room at night before you go out to dinner to kill off any mozzies which may have entered your room.

clean your hands before eating and stick to restaurants that have a lot of patrons and the food turn over is high. ice is safe to eat as long as it is not from an esky keeping food cold. drink only bottled water and its a good idea to use this to brush your teeth. some people take a course of doxycycline tablets i personally don't bother but you could ask your doctor about this. if you do get a bit of bali belly you can but 'entrostop' for around 6000rp a strip in supermarkets and chemists in bali, i find drinking a yakult or two each day a bit of protection from tummy upsets, they are very cheap in bali.

as for sanur it is a very good place to stay. the puri santrian is a good hotel right on the beach front. there are green bemos which pass the front of the hotel day and night taking you along the street to shops restaurants and the hardys supermarket. sanur is a good place to base yourself. it has a lovely village atmosphere and is much quieter than the bustle of kuta yet only about a 20 minute taxi ride. you can see pictures of sanur on "webshots' just type in sanur and you will get some candid photos. i stay in sanur every year and find it relaxing and enjoyable

UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Immunisation and other info on Sanur please

That's brilliant, thank you very much.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,314 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Immunisation and other info on Sanur please

There are no compulsory injections you need to get into Bali, but check with your nurse at your local surgery who should be able to advise. Take mosquito repellant for the night depending on what time of year you go, Jungle Formula Tropical Strength is worth an investment.

Sanur is my favourite place in Bali. Its a long strip of beach lined with hotels and a few restaurants, with a shallow lagoon protected by a coral reef from the surf. The beach and sea isn't up to Thailand standards, but it's always nice and peaceful (unlike Thailand). Running parallel to the beach behind the low-key beachfront hotels is the main street of Jalan Danau Tamblingan. Here you will find shops, money exchange offices, Hardy's fixed price supermarket, bars, restaurants, tour offices etc. Bemos and taxis constantly patrol this road, and as Sanur is a big place with the tropical heat and humidity, it's a good and cheap option to use them to get around. Most restaurants in Sanur have Balinese dance shows on at some stage, so if you don't make it to Ubud you can get a taste of Balinese culture.

The Puri Santiran is at the southern end of Sanur. It's a quiet area, with a handful of bars and restaurants on the beach and on the main road outside. When I stayed there, nearly every night I ended up getting a bemo to northern Sanur which I prefer as it has a little bit more life (even then it's still quiet!) and I prefer the beach restaurants up there. A bemo's not expensive, maybe 20-30pence for 2 people to go from the Puri to Hardys. Puri has lots of good reviews on here, especially the Club Rooms. Be warned that if you like your sunbathing, the sunbeds get "reserved" really early there. Other smaller hotels in northern Sanur don't seem to have this problem.

Post back if you need to know anything else.

Wales
Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Immunisation and other info on Sanur please

You din't say how long you will stay. Personally I would have Hepatitis, Typhoid, Tetanus and Polio topped up.

Malaria is not a problem and UK advice is that profylactics are not generaly required but stong measures against mosquitos must be taken. In the wet season last year locals reported higher than normal threat from Denge so the anti-mosquito measures are doubly important. A good repellant and a machine for the room can easily be bought at Hardys or other good supermarkets.

Some doctors now recomend Japanese Encyphalitis jabs for long stays in wet areas. I think it is spread by a combination of pigs and mosquitos. I was advised to have this for a recent visit, but I considered the side effects were not worth it given the level of risk.

Make sure you take medical advice before going, things may have changed since I was last in Bali (August so unlikely).

Bali belly is far more likely so heed previous advice.

Have a good time and stay healthy.

gog

5. Re: Immunisation and other info on Sanur please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 pm, September 13, 2009