We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hol To Nusa Dua,Bali, Indonesia. APRIL 2014.

Which Nusa Dua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Province of...
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Hol To Nusa Dua,Bali, Indonesia. APRIL 2014.

Having trouble getting info on jabs or malaria tablets,for our holiday to Bali in April.2014.GP and other sources are not much help.Also are we entitled to have some jabs on the NHS?Thanks for any much needed advice.Please can anyone tell us if or what jabs we need.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,321 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hol To Nusa Dua,Bali, Indonesia. APRIL 2014.

If just heading to Bali, don't bother with malaria tablets. Do however use a good DEET based repellant, mainly to deter the mossies that carry Dengue Fever; big stripey things that get you in the day.

Your practice nurse should be able to advise on jabs for Indonesia, and they should use your previous medical history to determine whether you need a tetanus booster.

Province of...
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hol To Nusa Dua,Bali, Indonesia. APRIL 2014.

Thank you HNB, Young,new practice nurse is asking us what jabs we need??? Travel clinics telling us to ask Docs what we need before going to them. All very frustrating,and getting us nowhere.Thank you for taking the time to help.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,321 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hol To Nusa Dua,Bali, Indonesia. APRIL 2014.

Hmm. I would say tetanus, typhoid, hepatitis A and diphtheria if she's going to follow minimum WHO recommendations, but I am no medical expert by any means. Sounds like your nurse may have cheated on her exam though. Be prepared for arm ache afterwards for a week or two. I would also tell her your arm needs to be bandaged in her used £20 notes to help with the healing process.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,074 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hol To Nusa Dua,Bali, Indonesia. APRIL 2014.

HI Roberta: This is not really a good place to ask for medical advice, especially since your own medical providers are shying away from their own duties.

However, you should always have tetanus and hepatitis protection anyway, as it's found all over the world. I've lived in Indonesia for almost 20 years and have never taken any malaria medication, even in more "remote" areas like Sumba or Sumatra. Nusa Dua is a government-built, gated resort community that has sanitized, manicured park like gardens and no doubt is heavily sprayed for bugs.

Province of...
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hol To Nusa Dua,Bali, Indonesia. APRIL 2014.

Your help is much appreciated.We are getting nowhere fast here,although from many forums,it looks as though Nusa Dua is relatively safe for travellers.Am researching as much as I can,and actually taking info to the practice nurse!!!! Lucky you,living somewhere so lovely.We think we have found the perfect 'pad' Ellies in Nusa Dua,with family who are backpacking over there at the moment.Just need this damn info on jabs.Appreciate your feedback very much.Thank You.Roberta.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,321 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hol To Nusa Dua,Bali, Indonesia. APRIL 2014.

Hi Roberta - since your nurse is so slack, the NHS websites below provide recommendations and give you an idea as to what you can get on the NHS and what you can expect to pay for.

http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/asia-(east)/indonesia.aspx

nhs.uk/conditions/…Introduction.aspx

Hope this helps.

Province of...
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hol To Nusa Dua,Bali, Indonesia. APRIL 2014.

To HNB, Have been on this site,but maybe due to my advancing years,it's a little unclear as to what we need. Was a nightmare matching all the flights to and from Bali,today have discovered,that we have booked one of our return flights for the wrong month.Double nightmare. Should have gone to Blackpool. !!!!!!!!!!!!! HNB Your a star though,and thanks a million.Roberta.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,321 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hol To Nusa Dua,Bali, Indonesia. APRIL 2014.

Hi Roberta - from the first site: "Courses or boosters usually advised: Diphtheria; Hepatitis A; Tetanus; Typhoid."

From the second:"The following travel vaccinations are usually available free on the NHS:

diphtheria, polio and tetanus (combined booster),typhoid,the first dose of hepatitis A, cholera".

Never mind should have gone to Blackpool, but should have gone to Specsavers by the sound of it. Hope you get things sorted out.

Province of...
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hol To Nusa Dua,Bali, Indonesia. APRIL 2014.

Hello HNB, Invaluable Info,am printing off for my practice nurse,and myself. So many jabs,my arms are killing me already,contemplating it. Again,can't thank you enough.Thank goodness for people like you. P.S They are all in the arms aren't they?????? If not,don't tell us!!!!!

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,321 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hol To Nusa Dua,Bali, Indonesia. APRIL 2014.

Yes, usually in the upper arm. I hope your nurse doesn't ask you to point out where and how to fill the needle.

Get answers to your questions about Nusa Dua
Recent Conversations