We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grand mirage vs laguna, in nusa dua

austin
Level Contributor
23 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
grand mirage vs laguna, in nusa dua

I've been to Bali a couple of times, stayed at Grand Mirage/Nusa Dua about 5 years ago, then Champlung by Monkey Forest a couple of years ago. I'm in transit again to dive destination and have 2 nights on front end, then a night on the back end, in July. I've done Monkey Forest, Mother Temple, water temple, etc. and shopped some close to Monkey Forest. It's been suggested I stay at the Mercure closer to airport, or the Laguna in Nusa Dua. For my one full day I'm looking for just a half day tour of rice paddy views and/or a different lovely temple, but with shopping too (have been to Ubud as well) so i can enjoy beach/hotel amenities for that one day. How is the Bali Collection for local sarongs, etc?

So can i get suggestions on staying at GM that I already know, or spend more $ to stay at the Laguna, or even somewhere else. Beachfront would be nice. Also suggestion on tours/driver to some temples/shopping I haven't done yet.

Bali Journey Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Shopping Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Bayu Bali Driver - Day Tour
Private Tours, Shopping Tours, Water Sports
sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grand mirage vs laguna, in nusa dua

well both the Grand Mirage and the Laguna are beach front. The Laguna is a great resort but does lack some local color. when you leave the resort its a nice walk along paved paths thru lush lawns and gardens the the Bali Collection - maybe 10 15 minutes stroll.

Lots of local handrafts at Bali Collection - there has been a trend in recent years for larger stores to stock this stuff rather than market stalls or little shops - and most people prefer the bigger stores, the items are priced so no bargaining - its a more western way to shop, but does put the little guy out of business.

Having said that if its just sarongs you want - you will find a local lady selling them along the beach, and you can bargain and put money directly into the local economy.

There is a also a great little market, on the Nusa Dua Bypass just before the main gate and the security checkpoint. You could stroll up one evening - there is the usual range of handcrafts etc - plus a nice cafe (Nusa Dua Cafe) so you would shop have something to eat, something cold to drink and have a pleasant experience.

The only downfall with Nusa Dua or Tangjung Benoa is the distance to any where else - so if you want to do a half day tour - you could spend half of that day in the traffic - unless the new Bypass (toll road) has opened before your trip

austin
Level Contributor
23 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: grand mirage vs laguna, in nusa dua

thanks our001

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,588 posts
1,607 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: grand mirage vs laguna, in nusa dua

Another vote for Laguna. my review -

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g297698-d301…

4. Re: grand mirage vs laguna, in nusa dua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 18, 2014