We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali after the Earthquake in Java

uk
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bali after the Earthquake in Java

Hi

Has there been any effects from the Java earthquake felt in Bali, I am going there later this year and it is a concern that the seismic activity in the region is getting more frequent.

Thanks

P33ljo

Bali
Level Contributor
535 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bali after the Earthquake in Java

We didn't feel the earthquake at all and we don't have seismic activity in Bali region at all this month.

We'll be worry if the volcano at Java erupts as it'll effect Bali as well.

Depends when are you planning to come to Bali, but if it'll be end of the year, I think it'll be ok even if the volcano had errupted.

June/July is still a question mark as we have no idea when is that volcano going to errupts, the activities could go for another month. Human still can predicts nature's action accurately.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bali after the Earthquake in Java

What would the effect on Bali be if the volcano erupts? Would there be ash in the air, or Bali buildings being destroyed by molten lava falling from the sky?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bali after the Earthquake in Java

No concerns in Bali either because of the earthquake or the volcano.

See:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k621…

and:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k635…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bali after the Earthquake in Java

You should note that Mt. Merapi (Jogajakarta/Adisucipto Airport) is approximately 331 miles or 532 kilometers from Bali (Denpasar / Ngurah-Rai airport).

During the last big eruption in 1994, ash spewed up to 10,000m in height and lava flows advanced 7.5 km from the summit. The rain of rock and moltan lava travelled about 1.5 km. Ash rain travelled about 45 km (source: http://www.geo.mtu.edu/volcanoes/merapi/gvn/merapi.v19n10.html)

For those who really want to read up on Merapi, you can up-dated (within the hour ash advisories in Zulu time (ie. 1300 Zulu is 1:00 p.m. in England (Greenwich)) at:

www.bom.gov.au/info/vaac/advisories.shtml

At the time of this post, Merapi was spewing ash up to 1000m which is defined as "low level" ash.

For a nice recent satellite photo, see:

…nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/shownh.php3…

(Note the ash cloud is grey (small and thin) and the normal rain cloud is white (large).

For a graphic map of the "hazard area" which comprises the regions adjacent to the volcano, (note the hazard area is far, far, far from Bali) see:

http://www.reliefweb.int/rw/fullMaps_Sa.nsf/luFullMap/6DC57480B778E9A9C12571550057AD21/$File/rw_VO_idn190406.pdf?OpenElement

For all kinds of maps and photos of Merapi which will show you just how far it is from Bali, see:

http://www.tec.army.mil/Merapi/index.html

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bali after the Earthquake in Java

Hey Rob!

Love your post! You are always so practical - for want of a better word! :-)

Haha, it must be your training - sticking to the facts.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bali after the Earthquake in Java

Hi Jade,

Thanks! I don't know if I am practical by training or if I am just do my best to stay alive when I travel :)

(BTW I was happy to read in the other post that you're not "splitting up..." LOL (ROTF) Easy misinterpretation to make but I thought it was still very funny!)

7. Re: Bali after the Earthquake in Java

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, August 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Nusa Dua