We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aston resort, Nusa Dua

Croatia, Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Aston resort, Nusa Dua

Hi, we are going to the Aston resort in Nusa Dua, Bali in November, has anybody been recently and can give us any fresh advise about exchanging money, shopping, restaurants, things to do and not to miss while staying there ?

Thanks a lot !

Anita, Croatia

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aston resort, Nusa Dua

Hi Anita,

there is a special purpose shopping mall nearby that has restaurants, a supermarket, big craft market, a Starbucks, and a department store. Its called Bali Collection and everybody knows it. Just ouside Nusa Dua are numerous shops selling crafts, DVDs, etc.

Nearby is Bumbu Bali, a popular Bali/Indonesian restaurant that is recommended.

Towards Jimbaran is Trattoria, a new branch of one of the better Italian cafes on Bali. Its cheap and good.

Also nearby is the Muaya Jimbaran beach fish cafes. These cafes grill fish on dried coconut shells and serve on tables set up on the beach. Lots of people worry about getting ripped off (heavy scales, kickbacks to drivers) but this does not detract from the popularity of this place. A little caution and you will get a great meal at a reasonable price.

There is water sports nearby at Benoa, rent a car/w driver and go on a grand tour to Ubud and other destinations. Its great.

Croatia, Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Aston resort, Nusa Dua

Thanks a lot Yamanote for taking the time to reply, it has been really helpfull. Could you also tel me if there is anything we have specially to take care of ( security, money, anything ?)

Thanks !

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aston resort, Nusa Dua

Security should not be a problem, particularly in Nusa Dusa which has enhanced security. Just use all the normal precautions.

Regarding money, I don't like to travel with a lot of cash and depend on the ATM network. If you have a global ATM card it will work fine on Bali at a number of ATMs. On arrival at the airport are a few ATMS in the baggage area. I find Citi ATMs to be the most reliable, although they sometimes run out of cash. There is one in the baggage area and at the McDonalds on the right side of the bypass highway on the way to Nusa Dua from the airport.

Also, near Nusa Dua on the right hand side of the bypass highway is a large store called Hardy's. Its a good place to buy beer, drinks, etc and avoid paying tourist prices at the hotel or Bali Collection.

I also recommend you hire a car and driver and tour Bali. There is so much to see. The going rate is 400-450,000 rps/day, including petrol at the upper price range.

Croatia, Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Aston resort, Nusa Dua

Thank again Yamanote, now I know a bit what to expect ..(:-))

Anita

Scotland
Level Contributor
32 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aston resort, Nusa Dua

Things not to miss: Kecak dance- Uluwatu, Sunset at Jimbaran

Restaurants; Nyomans Beer Garden, best to book, will provide free pick up and return.

Coco Bistro not far from Aston, again best to book again will provide free pick up and return.

If going to Jimbaran walk along the beach and look to see the busy restaurants best guarantee of good food and price.

If money changing in your hotel area, lots of places, watch them carefully. I generally have them lay the money on the counter and count it before handing over my money. Plenty tourists caught out by changer dropping money back behind counter after counting. Not a big problem if you are cautious.

Enjoy, the best place to holiday in my opinion.

Croatia, Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Aston resort, Nusa Dua

Thanks for the info, I am really happy that we have decided to go for holiday to Bali, seems really interesting. I still have to find a better map, but it seems to me that one can walk from one place to another, I don' t mind walking for a few kilometers- actually I enjoy it - is that possible or do we have to rent a car or taxi to explore some other places arround Nusa dua. At the moment I still have no idea how small or large the place is.

What about beaches ? Are they generally good everywhere or are there some special ones ? - since we come from Dubrovnik, Croatia where, to my opinion we have the most fabulous beaches and bays, so we might be a bit spoiled in regard of that.

Can anybody advise us about some specialities we woudl have to try in the restuarnts ? I have never tried indonesian food, just the european and some chinese....

Scotland
Level Contributor
32 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aston resort, Nusa Dua

Walking not really an option. Best take a taxi, blue ones are best, not expensive, if you are worried ask how much the fare will be before travelling.

Beach at Nusa Dua ok but not fantastic, if you don't mind busy and lots of sellers try Kuta beach. For a dream beach go to Nusa Penida, you can see it from the beach at Nusa Dua, great snorkelling and probably the dream beach everybody thinks of.

Kuta for shops, Centro shopping centre, you can also watch the sunset from the back door of the centre. Matahari square cheap local shops, all designer makes but not original, prices not too bad.

Croatia, Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Aston resort, Nusa Dua

Great info, thanks a lot ! It is our first time to Bali and one doesn' t really know what to expect, I always like to go somewhere with some informations in my "pocket".

Thanks again !

Anita

Walvis Bay
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Aston resort, Nusa Dua

Hi Ita,

I am planning to go to Aston also on early January next year, please write the review, since i have got mixed feeling how the hotel conditions and services

Croatia, Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Aston resort, Nusa Dua

Hi,

you asked me to write a review when I come back from the Aston- Nusa Dua. Just great !! I am really happy that we picked out this hotel - very nice and clean although maybe not a 5 star hotel, but it doesn' t matter. Everybody is really very helpfull, polite, smiling, nice. We came back 2 days ago and I wished if we could have stayed a bit longer. Nusa Dua is the right place for relaxation, lying on the beach, having a cocktail, just perfect. We made some organised excursions and explored the surrounding area by taxi which is very cheap. There are hotels within a walking distance - we like the italian restaurant Giorgio's in the hotel very much, Coco's just accross the street of Aston, Bumbu Bali of course which is only a 2 minutes away from the hotel and SARI a few meters away from Bumbu Bali which has great service,low prices and more than great food. There are a lot of internets, small shops and massage along the road but you can also take the taxi and spend the afternoon or evening somewhere else- Jimbaran is maybe 10 minutes and Kuta 30 minutes far away. The taxi' s will take you there, wait for you and bring you back whenever you want for a small price. If you take a blue bird taxi with a taxi sign on top, you pay by taximeter, but if you take any other car which you will be offered only a few meters away from the hotel you can bargain. We payed about 150.000 rp- app. 15 US Dollar for picking us up at 3 p.m. at the hotel, taking us to Kuta for shopping ( Matahari) first, he waited for us, took us back to the Centro or Discovery shopping mall, wiated again, brought us to Jimbaran to a fish restaurant and after we had finished our dinner, he brought us back to the hotel. Just great since we could leve all what we bought in the car and didn' t have to take with us all the time.

I think Aston and Nusa Dua is the right place to stay. Enjoy and don' t worry, you won' t regret it !

Ita