We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple of questions......

Which Nusa Dua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cheltenham, UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
A couple of questions......

Going to the Grand Mirage on 29th April.

1. Airport porters - Will be carrying US dollars, are they OK for tipping?

2. All inclusive - do you tip the bar and restaurant staff?

OK, I know tipping is a personal thing but I'm just after a general idea.

Thanks for any input,

Simon

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,818 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A couple of questions......

you don't need an airport porter. i like to look after my own bag and get to the taxi booking counter ASAP and book my taxi, the driver will then help you to his taxi. no need to tip. you pre pay your taxi fare and thats it. there is money exchangers at the airport just change some money there to rupiah to get you started. from my experience the exchange rate around nusa dua is lower than the airport and other areas. you should consider changing some money before you arrive at your hotel. take only 'new' USD not 'old' they don't and often won't change them.

i often tip at restaurants. even giving the staff a few notes in their hand rather than leave on the table. the wages in bali are so low that they are truly grateful for any extra you offer. to me any good service even by the maids who clean your room is a lovely gesture and a help to supplement low wages.

asia
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A couple of questions......

You will feel like tipping after the good service you received plus they earn very little so I just tipped if i like their even though tax is very high there.

Cheltenham, UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: A couple of questions......

Thanks for the info, both.

I nearly always tip but having never been to Bali before I just thought I'd ask. I know at Carribean all-inclusives you are not supposed to tip, but I always do, particularly the barman!

4. Re: A couple of questions......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, September 26, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Nusa Dua