We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali tips and reccommendations please

South Africa
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Bali tips and reccommendations please

Hi, A group of us are going to Bali for 10 days at the end of Jan 07. We are staying at the Aston Bali. We would very much appreciate any advice tips etc on shopping, restaurants, sightseeing and anything in general about Bali. Many thanks

Jana

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bali tips and reccommendations please

Hi,

Below your username, there's a link that says "What's this?" Click on that to get to the Inside pages. catalyst (another Bali Expert) has an extensive list for food options in the various parts of Bali - Kuta, Seminyak, Jimbaran, Ubud, etc.

Shopping - it depends on what you want to buy. You can find almost anything in Kuta - clothes, beachwear, leather, shoes, household items, etc.

Ubud, though is the cultural heart of Bali and not to be missed. There's also another area, called Tegallalang, which is about 15 mins from Ubud, and that's also a shopping street. Prices are very cheap, but they sell necklaces, wooden stuff, mozaic stuff, etc. No clothes, shoes, etc.

Sightseeing -

Ubud

Catch a dance at the Ubud Palace

Sunset at Uluwatu temple, catch the Kecak Dance there as well, then head to Jimbaran for a seafood dinner. Tourist trap, but fun for a first-timer.

Visit a temple - MANY to choose from. Go when there is a ceremony.

Check out Kintamani and Lake Batur (er...then again, if your'e coming from South Africa.....hehhehheh)

The terraced rice fields around Ubud are gorgeous.

Snorkelling at Menjangan island (in the west) or Amed or Tulamben (both in the east) or Nusa Lembongan (in the south, nearest to Kuta)

Get massages

Go to the famous Kuta beach....

and the list goes on.....

Tip - you may want to hire a driver for a day. They are quite reasonable and I find good value for money. Once, again, there is an Inside Page for Drivers in Bali.

There is also an Inside Page for Spas in Bali, but really, they are everywhere.

Ino
Athens
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bali tips and reccommendations please

Hi,

Me and my friends went to Bali this summer...I believe that at this island you must have a car. It has very long distances. If you do rent a car then you must know that there are a lot of policemen!! If you dont have an international license (we didnt) or break the highway code,then you must pay what they want in order to let you go. That was the only thing that I disliked in Bali! We rent 2 jeeps at the airport for 234EURO each!Great price! Go anywise to the Monkey Forest (Ubud Village)!See the Kuta sunset..its beautiful..the Besakei Temple-Mother Temple (the bigest temple in Bali). Our favorite club was Bounty!! Its at the main road where all the clubs are but you cant see it..ask for it..you must pass through an arcade and its at the back of another club..You can try also omelette with mushrooms..have you ever visited Netherlands??Have a nice time!!

3. Re: Bali tips and reccommendations please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:59 am, November 10, 2006
NY
Level Contributor
22 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bali tips and reccommendations please

Also don't miss the sunset at Tanah Lot Temple. It is a rock island with a temple on the top. You can sit directly across from it on a cliff and wach the sun set behind the temple. Its about 25 minutes drive from Kuta. Well worth it. We contracted a driver for the day who drove us around for 9.5 hours for 225,000 IDR. He had a very nice comfortable van and that let us sit back and enjoy the view.

We planned what areas we wanted to see and he drove us around to each. Monkey Sanctuary in Ubud. Palace temple in Ubud. Rice terraces. Shopping and Tanah Lot. He was willing to drive us to Jimabaran after the sunset and wait while we ate dinner but we were too tired.

My girlfriend haggled a rental scooter down to 30000 IDR for 24 hours, so one day we rode the scooter around.

If you go to Jimbaran for dinner at the beach, I would recommend finding the best prices from the street side where you can see the menus and fish then move to the beach side and see if its where you want to eat. You can haggle the menu price also. They have "International" (tourist) menus and "Domestic" (locals) menus. Domestic prices are half of International. Look for a menu that offers a package and you'll get a wide variety of sea food.

Indonesian in...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bali tips and reccommendations please

Hi, there are heaps of things to do in Bali. You will find lots of info available when you're there. Don't worry.

I always love to shop in Kuta as you have plenty of choices from vendors to boutique. If you love to bargain, try the art market. Remember to bargain one third or maximum half of the original price they offer you. The clothing stuffs are usually 'fake' brand and might be poor quality. Hit the shopping mall or the boutiques for better quality and free of the hassle to bargain. Kuta square and Discovery mall offer lots of things that you will see in vendor with reasonable price and more comfortable place. I am a local, so bargaining is my thing. It might be difficult for foreigners though =). If you love surfing brands, you will find plenty in Bali. The paintings in Ubud is great but it's expensive (even for Indonesian). I did buy one big painting which I never regretted. The art market usually less quality painting (still nice if you choose carefully) with cheaper price. Check the custom regulation for wooden things because Bali is heaven for wooden carving and the like. For me, shopping in Bali is endless! You will love it.

If you eye fancy restaurants, you will have lots of choices in Nusa Dua, Kuta, Jimbaran, Sanur, Seminyak. Choose the place that puts their price on the sidewalk so you won't be paying something more than you expect. Seafood is always recommended. If you dare to try the local food or local restaurant where Indonesians love to go, you can try Warung Nikmat in Jalan Kubu Anyar, Kuta. You can try Javanese rice dish. Remember to stop by before lunch time coz things can get really crowded and messy during lunch time =). Warung Satria II in Jalan Blambangan is really great to try Balinese rice dish. Ask for Balinese nasi campur. It's tasty and spicy. More local restaurants are available along Jalan Teuku Umar. If you really want to taste real Indonesian food, don't miss this place. If you want to stay in the safe side (which is ok as well), try to hit the restaurants near the beach coz they usually have int'l menu. Want to try not so fancy restaurant? I love to explore Poppies Lane ally in Kuta. It offers plenty of small restaurants with great food and really cheap price.

Sightseeing will depend on your favourite. If your fave is adventure stuff, you can try parasailing, buggy ride, surfing, diving, bungee jumping, river kayakking and many more. Try walking under the sea for a great experience. I never tried this, but I saw this while I was there. You will be given a helmet (like an old time diving gear) and together in a group (you will be tied to one another if I'm not mistaken), you will walk under the sea. It's a good option other than diving perhaps. Temples are endless if you are interested. A common tourism objects are Tanah Lot and Besakih. I personally love the less crowded ones as in Uluwatu Temple (the view from the cliff is amazing) and Gunung Kawi Temple (the temple that is carved out of the mountain stone). The last one is challenging since you have to climbed down hundreds of steps. Climbing up can be a challenge! Luckily you can rest alongway and stop in small vendors along the steps.

Hope you have a great time!

Singapore
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bali tips and reccommendations please

ccham,

Seems like you had a good price for your driver.

Could you share his contact no. or email?

If it's not too much trouble, could you pls email them to me at trader2828@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bali tips and reccommendations please

Hi, most drivers charge around 300-350,000 rupiah a full day now. Petrol has tripled (or more) in price.

If you don't have a driver booked you can negotiate a price when there. There are many on the street. Just talk to a few and see what they offer. Grab some brochures from the street stalls and see where you would lkike to go. Take no notice of the US$ prices on the brochures.

UK
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bali tips and reccommendations please

Dear Jana,

If you would like to shopping for material like tiles (marble/granit), furnitures, stones carving for your garden, sinks, fixtures, etc, you can contact Ari because she has done to help south african people when they come to Bali to buy Marble, furnitures for their house or for business.

If you would like to contact her please send your email to: basmiari@gmail.com or contact her at : 0062 81 238 51115

9. Re: Bali tips and reccommendations please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 pm, August 20, 2009