We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Measles vaccination done :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
280 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Measles vaccination done :)

Hi all we just had our recommended by dr measles vaccinations as we travel in 18 days and its recommended to get it done 2 weeks before going to bali! There have been confirmed cases so im feeling alot better now! Its recommended anyone over 14 should get a booster shot! One if my friends got it in sept on her first visit to bali and was very ill retuning to perth and ended up hospitalised! Better to be safe than sorry! I got the script from dr then took vaccine back to dr vaccine was $30 dr bulk billed us we dont have a heslthcare card so not to bad 5 of us need booster the other 4 are still young so are still protected! Happy travels everyone

Perth
Level Contributor
301 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Measles vaccination done :)

Called into my Dr's office yesterday and asked the receptionist about the measles booster. She had no idea...and said she'd get the Doc to ring me (of course she didn't...no surprise there...something tells me just because you have had the same Dr for 36 years doesn't make it right :) ).

Off to Bali in 12 days so probably left it too late. However, as measles "is" a problem in Bali due to low immunisations, and I travel there regularly (including in Sept & Dec when there had been reports of Aussies contracting it), I may just have to wing it! I know I had the Rubella (German Measles) shots -- that is a very different disease (hazardous to pregnant women...or their babies anyhow).

I'm hoping I'm in the right age bracket and also am fully immunised. I believe some of the Aussies that have contracted the disease had had zero vaccinations of any kind - so it makes it hard to generalise about a measles outbreak when measles "is" in Bali (Third World Country!!)...when we are dealing with some silly Oz folk that aren't vaccinated!. Sadly they are the ones that don't realise they risk the lives of babies & young children that can't be vaccinated at their age...who can forget those recent images of new-borns with whooping cough...

I know a few people that don't believe in immunisation and they are the younger folk that don't have friends that spent years living in an Iron lung, or lost siblings to measles, or have a deaf brother because their mother contracted Rubella. The people that don't realise the reason they have not got ill is because the rest of us are vaccinated!

12. Re: Measles vaccination done :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 31, 2015