We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never been to Kuta

Which Kuta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
Never been to Kuta

Hi, This will be trip number 3 to Bali. We are heading to Amed for a few days then Sanur for 2 weeks then a few days in Legian. We've never been to Kuta before and we'd like to go there for a day to see what it's all about. Is there a main street or area that I should go to? Should I walk up the beach from Legian or grab a taxi? I expect it to be very different from what I'm used to.

Cranbourne...
Level Contributor
6,092 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Never been to Kuta

Walk along Jl Legian, check out Poppies 1&2, the memorial and club scene at night, maybe wander down to Kuta Square for a different type of Kuta.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
847 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Never been to Kuta

Legian is basically kuta :-) you won't have to walk far

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Never been to Kuta

Wow we walked Kuta to Legian after a day at waterbom park and we it took us forever! hours!!!

I'd never do it again, we had to because the traffic was gridlocked

Matahari shopping is good. If you like water rides Waterbom is good.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
847 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Never been to Kuta

From garlic lane JL legian you walk to the end chuck a right your on poppies kuta 10-15 minute walk your on kuta beach

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Never been to Kuta

Thanks for the replies :) From what you have said I am guessing Poppies Lane is the main street to visit in Kuta... Am I right?

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Never been to Kuta

Poppies 1 & 2 are lanes that run from Jln Legian down to the beach.

You will find lots of places to shop in these lanes.

Also plenty of places to stop for a drink and something to eat.

Shop keepers can be a little aggressive around this area

And yes the road along the beach is very busy and I have found myself walking back to Legian from there many times.

SansSouci
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Never been to Kuta

Poppies lanes are not all of Kuta. The most well known/walked streets/lanes are the southern end of Jl Legian.

Jl Pantai Kuta (most know it from Bemo Corner walking west to the beach)& Jl Pantai Kuta, the beach front road from Hard Rock cafe corner, Jl Singosari(Jl Bakungsari)Jl Bunisari, Jl Raya Kuta,Kuta Square.

Poppies 2 is the busier of the two lanes with Jl Benesari off Poppies 2.

Brighton, Australia
Level Contributor
249 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Never been to Kuta

Sorry but the Tuban end of Kuta beats Legian hands down

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,599 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Never been to Kuta

If you look at this map http://mapsbali.com/areas/kuta.php

In the middle is poppies lane 2.

Under that is poppies lane 1

Under that is Jalan Pantai Kuta and then Kuta square.

Under that is the Art Markets and also Jalan Bakung sari which is now known as Jalan Singosari.

They are all really in between Jalan Legian ( on the right) and Jalan Pantai Kuta beach rd (on the left).

This is the main area of Kuta if you like.

You can walk up the beach which is quicker and stop at beach bars and be bombarded by sellers lol though I find after you have passed poppies 2 area it is a long barron walk. OR you can walk up Jalan Legian full of shops and cafes, browsing and stopping as you wish.

This is what I prefer.

If you are coming from Legian, maybe walk don Jalan legian stopping to browse etc and you could turn into Poppies lane 2. I would walk that to the beach, then turn into poppies lane 1 from the beach and walk along that, exit the lane past Un's to Pantai Kuta and then turn right and walk along that towards the beach and then turn left into Kuta square...where KFC is.

South of Kuta square is the art markets.

South of that again is waterbom and also centro.

Once you have finished, taxi it back up the beach to legian..........which I think is just as busy these days :)

The walk to or from Legian leisurely is done easily down Jalan Legian.But if you fully explored Kuta taking in both poppies lanes and Kuta square and markets then it would be a full tiring day.

So you could get a taxi down to poppies 2 / Bombing memorial and then walk that, walk poppies 1 and then pantai kuta into kuta square etc and then taxi it back to legian.

Edited: 10:59 pm, August 24, 2013
Byron Bay, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Legian
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Never been to Kuta

Apart from seeing the memorial I wouldn't bother going to Kuta. Traffic can be insane and as another post said if you've been to Legian then you've been to Kuta. In saying that Poppies 1 and 2 are worth a look.