We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuta tour companies

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Kuta tour companies

Can anyone recommend some tour companies in Kuta. I am going there in November. Should I wait till I get to Kuta to book my tours? I want to go to Lovina either go early one morning and come back the evening or do a two day tour. My hotel is recommending me a driver at 600,000 I am going to Bali by myself. Most drivers are suggesting over 1.3m just for the driver if I want a 2 day tour. I don't mind spending $30-$45 per tour, but when it is cost me over $180 for a two day tour--that is getting a bit steep for 1 person. I am in Bali for 6 days. What do single visitors do for tours?

gold coast
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kuta tour companies

Hi I've just posted a recommendation, keeping in mind the road to Lovina is only 2 lanes and is like the M1 of Bali....very congested and slow moving with trucks, buses and motorbikes...it can take up to 4 hrs from Denpasar to just Sth of Negara...hope this is useful...please lookup Jo, he is so much fun...I have been in hospitality all my life and was VERY impressed...enjoy your trip...

Edited: 10:38 am, June 27, 2013
Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,550 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kuta tour companies

You can't really go from Kuta to Lovina and back in one day and have a very enjoyable time..you will be in the car 905 of the time. What exactly are you planning to do in Lovina?

Most people either hire a private driver (you will meet a LOT when you are already here in Bali) or you can look at one of the small shuttle busses that go point to point or tours like Perama http://www.peramatour.com/

Candidasa, Indonesia
Level Contributor
307 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kuta tour companies

Hi hip, you will (as noted) find MANY drivers waving their hand in the air calling out "transport-transport, maybe tomorrow" when in Kuta. Some will go as low as Rp350k (call it US$35 for a basic conversion), but you will get what you pay for ... a not very informative day, and Kuta English.

If your hotel is offering somone for Rp600k (again for easy conversion for you - US$60 per day), then they may be offering a driver and guide (one to do the driving, and one to be 'the guide') ... or it could also be just a driver/guide. I always recommend to people that they spend that bit more (bananas instead of peanuts) to get a good service, from a reputable guide & driver.

I can recommend (you can call or text him when you arrive) a guy I have known for over 15 years - he is a registered senior tour guide (through the local government tourist org). His name is Puja, and his number is 081 338 743 725 ... just tell him Geoff from Candidasa sent you. He speaks very good English, as well as some Portuguese, Italian, German, Japanese (and others I am sure). He will give you a reasonable price based on his level of experience (registered senior tour guides need to pass history, language, culture & destination / attraction exams to get their registration).

It all gets back to what kind of experience you want from your tour :-)

Hope this helps ! - Regards, Geoff

Edited: 11:38 am, June 27, 2013
Wollongong...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kuta tour companies

I payed 350 000 rp one way to Lovina on my last trip. The hotel is making a few dollars for themselves but also maybe its a registered tour guide.

When selecting a tour guide or driver , be-aware that some drivers/ tour guides are not registered tour guides or drivers. This mean they are NOT insured , and if there is an accident your travel insurer may ask questions why you are not claiming on their insurance. Which could leave you in all kinds of trouble .

Just something to think about.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kuta tour companies

You can do Lovina up and back in one day it can be a rushed day and you might not get much time at different areas and you won't see much of Lovina which is very different to South Bali. As for driver cost, with the increase to petrol and after recent discussions with some Bali friends 600k for a day trip to Lovina is probably going to be the norm.

Transport is easy to find, talk to other tourist ask who have they been using get recommendations from people who are there when you are.

Candidasa, Indonesia
Level Contributor
307 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kuta tour companies

As noted by bepergian, there are MANY drives in Bali ... yet not so many that are registered to carry tourists. If you look at their car, and the number plate ends in S, then it is registered to carry tourists - it's a different type of registration that costs a bit more for the car owner.

Seprate to this is the guides - many drivers will act as guides for you as well, but most again are not 'registered' tour guides - again as noted in my last post, the registered ones need to have a set min understanding and knowledge of history, language, culture & destinations / attractions within Bali. This is all exam based - so they have to know stuff, or they wont pass. There is also the level of Senior Tour Guide, which means what it sounds like - they were a registered guide for some period of time, then after so many years, they say for a further exam.

So, you can get any old guy off the street to do driving for you, but check for the S numberplate (if you are concerned about insurance should their be an accident - I hope not), and also, to get the best out of your day, seek out a registered tour guide ... this way you will get the best bang for your buck.

What ever you do hip, have a great time in Bali !

Regards, Geoff

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kuta tour companies

Thank you all for the information. I do not want a "private" tour if possible. I do not mind doing a 2 day/1 night tour to Lovina option - but paying $180 for 2 days is getting a bit steep so I want a public tour or somehow to split the cost if I have to do a "private" tour. Again - how do single people do a tour?

Candidasa, Indonesia
Level Contributor
307 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kuta tour companies

Hi again hip ...

Sorry for the late reply ... I have ben off the air for a few days.

As you are travelling bu yourself, it is difficult to arrange something as a group tour in Bali, as it's not the norm for Bali to do group tours for tourists (exeption is locals from other parts of Indonesia).

The only way - if you wish to split the costs for a tour - is to ask around at your hotel (other guests that are staying) during the time you are there, and see if anyone is wanting or doing a tour, and ask if they would be happy for you to tag along, and pay for your portion of the trip. This will be difficult, almost impossible, yet you could strike it lucky (but it is a long shot).

Most people that do tours in Bali just end up doing tours by themselves (if they are by themselves). I'm not on facebook, and I'm not even sure it would be possible, yey maybe you could look into seeing if you can post something to ask if anyone would be there at the same time, that would be interested in sharing a tour.

I really think, your best option is to just accept the fact, that you are travelling by yourself, and as such you may just need to do the tour by yourself, and have to pay for the total cost :-( sorry about this :-(

I hope you can strike up a friendship with someone - maybe at your hotel - and also hope that they are ok for you to come along and share their trip.

As for the cost ... I think you should be able to do something like this (excluding your accomm) for maybe US$120 ... this would be a trip from Kuta - up to Lovina - stay one night (maybe wake up early and go out on a boat and see he Dolphines) - and then drive back to Kuta.

Another option for you is to get the public bus up to Lovina, but do you really want to do that ?

Lot's to think about !

Happy to recommend someone if you are interested - just PM me.

Regards, Geoff

9. Re: Kuta tour companies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 06, 2014