We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 questions about leaving Bali

Perth
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
2 questions about leaving Bali

Im having a wonderful holiday but have two questions about leaving Bali which i'd like to sort out before i start panicking :-)

first one. does it still cost 150 000 IDR to leave Bali or has that gone up since last year?

second. I have a friend back home who i was really really stuck on what sort of pressie to buy. Then i came across all the bali spices in Mataharis. Thought that would be a fab pressie coz he's really into cooking

It wasnt till a couple of days later i realised i might not be allowed to take them back thru customs to Perth with me. Ive bought saffron (leaf and powder) and a fair few others.

I normally go thru the red line at customs where i have stuff to declare because i normally have chocs, coffee, lollies, chips etc

am i allowed to take spices back with me? are there any im not allowed to take?

thanks

Cranbourne...
Level Contributor
6,591 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 questions about leaving Bali

It was still 150,000rp in January, and haven't heard of any changes.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 questions about leaving Bali

Yes. It still costs 150 000 to leave. I've brought vanilla beans, cinnamon sticks and a few other spices back and the only thing they confiscated was cardamom seeds. They had a good laugh at the 'saffron' in customs because it wasn't really saffron as I suspected.

Perth
Level Contributor
1,665 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 questions about leaving Bali

I can only help you with the departure tax. Yes it is still 150,000 rp. I usually tuck that away in my pass port when it goes in the safe at the start of the trip.

A while back there seemed to be a bit of a scheme where the people at the ticket counter were also collecting the 150,000. Just remember you pay it after you go upstairs. Haven't heard of this trick for ages but heard some obvious newbies being taken for a ride when I was there in may. I think if you have been before they should see that in your pass port and they won't try anything on.

Sorry cant help with the spices but enjoy the rest of your trip!

Perth
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 questions about leaving Bali

thanks everyone. i was hoping the departure tax hadnt changed too much but was completely in the dark about the spices

Broome
Level Contributor
95 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 questions about leaving Bali

HI

I have bought spices and those sate packs back through customs with no problems. Just be sure to DECLARE everything. I don't bother with nuts, seeds or coffee. Just not worth the bother.

This is from the Aust customs.gov.au site:

"Food, plants, animals and biological goods

Declare all food, plant and animal goods, equipment used with animals, biological materials, soils and sand to Quarantine on arrival. If you don't, you could be given an on-the-spot fine or face prosecution."

6. Re: 2 questions about leaving Bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 22, 2014