We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mixed emotions on this trip

Gosford, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
mixed emotions on this trip

hi,

i wanted to ask those who have stayed/played in kuta..

me,my partner and 2 of our close friends are planning a trip together.. we are all in our early 20's and just planning on a relaxing cheap holiday and of course partying.. ive read that alot of ppl are saying they would never go again! we have all done the thailand trip and stayed at phuket and LOVED the whole experience!! ppl have also said to me thailand and bali are quite similiar?? PLEASE tell what its like...:)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mixed emotions on this trip

if you are planning to party and you are in your 20's you will have a great time. it is cheaper than thailand and i personally think it is better. Trust me you will have a ball. Make sure you are staying in kuta or legian. you guys might like Bounty hotel for accomodation. check it out.

Gosford, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: mixed emotions on this trip

thankyou;) think i needed just the reassurance!! lol

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mixed emotions on this trip

Just make sure you research your hotel properly. A good hotel makes all the difference if you are keen to party.

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
31 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mixed emotions on this trip

We are in the same age group and love Bali! Look at staying somewhere like the white rose.. In the middle of everything and very cheap! Have fun!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mixed emotions on this trip

Just make sure you do your research, read threads on this forum about scams and pitfalls and you will be fine. Usually the people who don't like it are the ones who go in blind, get ripped off left, right and centre and then complain about the place.

Forearmed is forewarned especially in Kuta and the party scene.

Gosford, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: mixed emotions on this trip

thankyou, if anyone also has any tips with shopping, baddering etc to help make this trip smooth sailing as much as possible:)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mixed emotions on this trip

Go to the main Bali Forum Page and there is a section called Top Questions about Bali on the right hand side. There is heaps of great info here for first timers, especially the thread about money changers.

Other scams to look out for are scratchie tickets and winning prizes from them, nightclub scams with alcohol and money, dropped wallet scam, jewelery from $2 coins.

Do a search of the forum and threads about these should come up, if not come back and we can explain them to you.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mixed emotions on this trip

Can you please elaborate on the (nightclub/alcohol) scam and the (dropped wallet) scams?!? thanks

Perth
Level Contributor
650 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mixed emotions on this trip

Haggling usually only takes place in stalls or on the streets.

Street shops usually have a no haggle policy.

Though if you ask and spend heaps some will give you a 5 to 10 per cent discount.

International brands, unless made in Indonesia under licence, are not cheap due heavy import taxes.

Most cheap shoes like Nike are fake.

In regards to haggling pay what you are happy to pay, generally this can be 1/10th of the first quoted price.

For example a pair of fake Oakley Sunglasses - asking price 250-300,000 rupiah - haggle price 25-30,000 rupiah

Edited: 2:23 am, March 07, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mixed emotions on this trip

Dropped wallet: You will be stopped and told that you have dropped your wallet and sometimes a wallet will be forced into your hand. Before you take anything, check that you actually still do have your wallet. The scam is that there will can be illegal substances in the wallet you are handed and you can guarantee that the police are just a few metres away waiting.

Alcohol: same as here, always watch your drinks and never leave them unattended.

Money: tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k…