We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

20th-28th February 2013 Need help for Itinerary for Bali

Which Kuta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pune
6 posts
Save Topic
20th-28th February 2013 Need help for Itinerary for Bali

Hello,

I have planned to go on my honeymoon to Indonesia Bali/Lombok during February 22nd-28th 2013. I have already managed to book my flights from Mumbai-Singapore-Bali and Back for these dates.

Though very depressed seeing the "trash beach" photos of Kuta and several other reviews of Torrential rains and infact even the tour operators I contacted/called for Camping tours to nearby island / Kayaking Day trips/ Lovina Beach trip to see dolphins all seem to be cancelled during this time.

Request some advice from people who could give me an honest opinion about these dates....prefer if someone can recommend some alternatives within Indonesia as well. ( Not too much hectic, but not too much of staying in luxury hotels as well for the whole time)

If possible suggest me a itinerary for these dates.

Raipur, India
Level Contributor
292 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 20th-28th February 2013 Need help for Itinerary for Bali

Hi

Congratulations on your wedding. You can split your bali trip this way:

4 days Ubud+ 4 days Seminyak/Nusa Dua/Sanur/Cangu/Jimbaran bay

or

3 Days Ubud + 3 Days 4 days Seminyak/Nusa Dua/Sanur/Cangu/Jimbaran + 2 days Uluwatu/Ungasun

I travelled to Bali last year in February only, and did 4 + 5 days and totally loved it. I would suggest that you stay at least 3 days in Ubud first, relax & rejuvenate and make the most of vacation after stressful wedding schdule. Stay there in good resort, take spa treatments, fill yourself with lot of fresh oxygen, stroll in the lazy Ubud center, go for occasional morning hikes/treks, try some river rafting and regain energy for happening Seminyak. Don't recommend Kuta as its over commercialized and Sanur might become very boring after relaxing Ubud. Book some nice villa in Seminyak which is closer to beach in a commercial area but in an inside lane, so it's calm and quite. Njoi sunsets, party at happening lounges (Potatohead is my fav) /shacks, drink lots of beer and shop a lot in small boutiques/designer shops. Potato Head, Woo Bar, SOS Supper Club, Cocoon, KuDeTa are top places around Seminyak.

You can go for clubbing at Kuta (after 11 pm it gets happening, Hard Rock, Skygarden, Deejay Cafe, Engine Room, Bounty are top places ) or water sports at Nusa Dua or njoi Sunset from Uluwatu (Uluwatu temple, Alila and The Bar, Bvlgari are best) /Ungasan(Nammos Kandara is a nice place here)/Jimabarn Bay (i suggest Rock Bar here) from Seminyak itself. Hire a bike and njoi ride to Cangu and other nearby areas of Seminyak.

There are tons of activities which can be done in Bali in all budget ranges for all kind of people. Do share your interests.

Pune
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 20th-28th February 2013 Need help for Itinerary for Bali

thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

I would like to ask if the beaches were clean and not filled with garbage swept away from the sea....and did you manage to visit islands, do snorking etc? or the rains / ocean winds did not allow you to do that?

I was interested in doing snorkling, sea kayaking and some trekking/camping trips etc....honestly not much of a party people..but would love to drink a lil and party for sure...apart from offcourse spa/massage

Edited: 5:17 am, October 17, 2012
Raipur, India
Level Contributor
292 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 20th-28th February 2013 Need help for Itinerary for Bali

Beaches in general are beautiful, Seminyak, Legian, Nusa Dua, Sanur etc are all clean and Kuta is also not so bad, just bit more crowded. Hardly had any rains when I was in Seminyak last Feb, so was able to go for beach sports, diving etc. Around Nusa Dua you will find lot of such water sports activities including Diving. For beginner divers Tanjung Benoa and Sanur are said to be perfect, so you can try there as well.

If you are not much into clubbing, just go for lounges and shacks in Seminyak & Legian, relax, have a beer and enjoy Sun and Sunset. Similarly Uluwatu, Ungasan, Jimabarn Bay are also nice spots for sunsets. Try candle night dinner in any good hotel (Bvlgari, Alila etc) in Uluwatu, you will love the magical colors of sunset, jaw dropping view of the cliff and never ending sea.

In Ubud it rained occasionally but it was not inconvenient, actually for honeymooners it gets romantic ;). I liked the spas in Ubud better than Seminyak, especially spas which are facing the Ayung river, very very calm and relaxing (Kirana Spa and Mango Tree Spa are nice but expensive). Ubud is where the majority of tourists come for river rafting and also for trekking. If you are really adventurous, try the early morning sunrise trek to Mt Batur. Or you can go for much easier village treks or even cycling tour in Ubud is a good option. Sobek (balisobek.com) is said to be very good for cycling tours and rafting, but slightly pricey so look out for other options as well. Probably book a hotel with Spa and Trek package. You should visit the rice terraces for sure and can go for coffee plantations to kill time.

For short distances, you can hire bikes, it is cheap and good fun. For long distances you can take a car for self drive or better pvt car with a driver. There are TA recommended drivers in this forum or you can try driver/guide I employed in Bali (Wayan, he is also working as a guide for a 5 star resort in Ubud, +62 81338674350, nice guy, knowledgeable, helpful but knows when to speak, drives his own Suzuki Wagon-R for such trips)

Feb is off-season in Bali so you can bargain with hotels, spas, trek tours, drivers, bike/car rentals, water sports, rafting, almost everywhere. Do some research online and on tripadvisor forums, you will get a good itinerary of your own. There are good To-Do lists in this forum for Bali. Dont even try Indian tour agents, they all suck when it comes to Bali (trust me, every tour guy in India is bad when it is Bali) as you might end up being one out of 100 tourists in a big tour bus eating set lunch menus and running with a timetable. Enjoy Bali the way it's meant to be, at a relaxed pace, only you should be the one deciding your itinerary.

Raipur, India
Level Contributor
292 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 20th-28th February 2013 Need help for Itinerary for Bali

Also try and plan for a trip to Tanah lot and Bedugul

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
98 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 20th-28th February 2013 Need help for Itinerary for Bali

First get rid of your travel agent. Yes it will probably rain during your stay and it will be a relief from the heat and freshens everything up. As it is your honeymoon I suggest a nice 4* hotel in South Kuta (Tuban) to start then look for a retreat up in Ubud. 6 days is not long in Bali. Tours for white water rafting, island snorkelling can be arranged while in Tuban and mountain, safari parks can be arranged in Ubud. The drive from Tuban to Ubud can take in a lot of the sights. Don't let others deter you, Bali is a wonderful place for a honeymoon and you will enjoy.

Level Contributor
179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 20th-28th February 2013 Need help for Itinerary for Bali

For beautiful beaches, snorkelling, etc how about one of the day trips that bali hai cruises do - motor catamaran or sailing catamaran or fast ocean rafting around three islands. Also they have the Bali Hai huts right on the beach at Mushroom Bay with use of the Beach Club at Nusa Lembongan and the other activities they offer. You could stay there for a night or two and also take one of there other day cruises like sail to Crystal Bay on Nusa Penida which still seems pristine and secluded.

I think their website is balihaicruises - it all looks very south pacific even though the three island group is only an hour or two away from Bali proper.

Level Contributor
179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 20th-28th February 2013 Need help for Itinerary for Bali

For beautiful beaches, snorkelling, etc how about one of the day trips that bali hai cruises do - motor catamaran or sailing catamaran or fast ocean rafting around three islands. Also they have the Bali Hai huts right on the beach at Mushroom Bay with use of the Beach Club at Nusa Lembongan and the other activities they offer. You could stay there for a night or two and also take one of there other day cruises like sail to Crystal Bay on Nusa Penida which still seems pristine and secluded.

I think their website is balihaicruises - it all looks very south pacific even though the three island group is only an hour or two away from Bali proper.

Update - looked at their website. Only cruise they don't offer in February is Aristocrat sailing catamaran to Crystal Bay. But it sails to Nusa Lembongan instead and three island ocean rafting still seems on. they offer ocean kayaking too.

I've heard Lombok is nice.

The rain doesnt matter for swimming and snorkelling. it cant rain all the time plus its tropical rain.

Level Contributor
179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 20th-28th February 2013 Need help for Itinerary for Bali

Sorry for posting again but the weather in february is sunny as well as rainy, and lovina would be fine.

The Menjangan in a national park west bali offers a honey package or their deluxe room is cheapest. might be worth the splurge, snorkelling, trekking kayaking beach etc all in pristine natural paradise. google the menjangan . resort on mainland near menjangan island, great for diving and snorkeling. u can read the prices and reviews at trip advisor too.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 20th-28th February 2013 Need help for Itinerary for Bali

Unfortunately the beaches on the western side of the Island, Kuta/Legian/Seminyak will probably be dirty in February. It happens almost every year and there is no way to stop it as all the rubbish is bought in by the currents and tides. The locals do their best to try to clean it up but it's an endless job.

The way to avoid this is to stay in another part of the island where the currents aren't dropping rubbish at that time of year.

I would suggest, if you are into snorkelling that you look at staying up near Candi Dasa or Amed for a few days or you investigate Nusa Lembongan. These places will give you great snorkelling. Nusa Lembongan will be better than Amed at this time of year though for visibility as heavy rains can adversely affect visibility in Amed.

You will get some rain but it should not be all day every day. Just be a bit flexible with you itinerary in case you have to alter your plans because of the weather some days.

For water sports consider Sanur or Nusa Dua, again these beaches will be clean.

You will be much wiser not to pre book activities. Do it when you get there, it will be cheaper and you won't have the problem of cancelled activities.

For swimming with dolphins go with http://www.balidolphins.com/

This will not be affected by the weather and you don't need to travel all the way to Lovina to do it, as it's just off Sanur. You do however HAVE to book this in advance as it can be booked out months in advance. It's very popular.

I would also suggest that you have a look at the Top Questions about Bali section on the right hand side of this page. There is heaps of good info there for new travellers to Bali and some great ideas for day trips and things to do.

To sum up, February is still a good time to visit Bali. You will still be able to do all you want to do, you just have to be flexible with your itinerary.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 20th-28th February 2013 Need help for Itinerary for Bali

Yes the Western beaches do get rubbish on them, swept up from the tides from Java. Every morning, the locals who work on the beach, clean it up, it is a very big job and they take pride in keeping their beach clean. By the afternoon, they are clean, but you won't spend all of your time on the beach anyway. Bali Padma is a lovely resort to stay in Legian, very close to Seminyak. Only staying a week in Bali, I would stay at the one place and do day trips from there, especially to UBUD! Congrats on your marriage and enjoy your trip.