We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

" Has Bali changed in the last 10 years"

Which Kuta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
" Has Bali changed in the last 10 years"

Hi Guys.

Haven't been to Bali for just over 10 years now and considering a return with my wife. Has it changed at all over that period and if so, how for the better or worse??????

Cheers Bob & Chris.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: " Has Bali changed in the last 10 years"

There are more accommodation options and restaurant options. Traffic is worse, Kuta is ever expanding. Shopping is better. Food is definately better. Some shop sellers are more agressive. But the heart of Bali is still the same.

perth
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: " Has Bali changed in the last 10 years"

it hasnt really changed much. traffic is alot worse, especially between sanur and kuta and nusa dua. legian street along the main drag is alot better with the no parking. the balinese seem alot better off, they are fatter and more often than not just one to a motorbike, rather than the whole family. you see alot of kids going to school on their own motorbike now.

accomodation prices have crept up alot but street prices remain the same. alot more high end restaurants to choose from and expensive brand shops. the market sellers are really starting to get agressive and spoiling it for themselves now.

still grotty out on the street and as corrupt as ever.

same same, but different

Warrnambool
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: " Has Bali changed in the last 10 years"

There have been a lot of changes in Bali over the last ten years. There seems to be building going on everywhere at the moment. That said, it is still Bali with the friendly people, living culture and tropical atmosphere.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,128 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: " Has Bali changed in the last 10 years"

I think probably the "soul" of Bali is still the same but as others have said, the traffic, which was always difficult, has now increased dramatically.

The other major difference is that 10 years ago it was a lot quieter as many tourists were not visiting at that time. It's now full on with tourists everywhere (which is good for the local economy) and despite more hotels being built, it can be difficult to find accommodation at peak times.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: " Has Bali changed in the last 10 years"

Another thing that is much better than 10 years ago is toilets in bars and restaurants. In many instances they are cleaner than here.

Lots of great restaurants, particularly in Seminyak, and lots more accommodation choices.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: " Has Bali changed in the last 10 years"

I hadn't been back for 10 years and went earlier this year. To say my eyes were opened is an understatement. Bali has really grown and yes you really notice the traffic so much more.

The Balinese are the same people..friendly, helpful...joyful....not the same could be said for some of the tourists, who were loud and quiet rude.

Building going on everywhere (which is great)..Still get overcharged for taxi if your not careful...when walking down the streets looking at all the stalls and shops nothing has really changed at all.....all in all....still very much the same

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,128 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: " Has Bali changed in the last 10 years"

Yes Coolmumma. Sadly I have to agree with you regarding some of the tourists. It's a shame that they let themselves and the image of their country down so badly.

It's always the loud and obnoxious minority who are noticed and then the rest of us peaceful folk, together with the lovely local people just seem to have to put up with it.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: " Has Bali changed in the last 10 years"

Hi Bob.... sounds like you're really torn whether to go back to Koh Samui or try Bali again. We were the same a few years back tossing up between going back to Bali (for the umpteenth time) or trying Phuket. We took a chance, went to Phuket and found it wasn't for us.

Re your question has Bali changed? The Balinese are still nicest people you'll ever meet and the island is as beautiful as ever. What has changed most is the number and type of tourists, cheap airfares have a lot to do with it. You will still find the old Bali further afield in Sanur, Lovina, Candidasa, Lembongan. Hope this helps you make your decision.

Happy travels.

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: " Has Bali changed in the last 10 years"

For me, yes - and a lot. Traffic - as everyone has mentioned, a lot more tourists, a lot more built up, a lot more buildings and a lot more expensive - especially for SEAsian tourists. Coming from Singapore, a lot of my friends and myself actually find Bali expensive now and some prices are almost the same as back home or even more expensive.

But having said that, I guess most places would change in 10 years...? ;-P

the Kimberley, West...
Level Contributor
817 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: " Has Bali changed in the last 10 years"

I think people are forgetting that they were 10 years younger, rowdier and less bothered by other people's behaviour 10 years ago. Pre-2002 Bali was mostly a young person's budget holiday destination chock-o-block with surfers, end of year football trips, skolling competitions, progressive happy hours Khe Sahn and bar dancing at the Troppo Zone. The venues, the tourists, the behaviour and the action is so much more sedate now.