We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drinking in kuta

Which Kuta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Malta
Level Contributor
22 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
drinking in kuta

Hi,

in September my husband and I are going to Bali and we would like to know where it is safe to drink alcohol i.e. in which clubs in kuta? We had read a lot of reviews of methanol poisoning in cocktail.

thanks for your help

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
324 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drinking in kuta

We went to M-Bar-Go in June.

No problems. Half price drinks all night ($2.50 Jim Beam and Cokes) and it was real Jim Beam.

Cheers

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drinking in kuta

I think the problem with the poisoning is with fish bowls of jungle juice so to be on the safe side stay away from the jungle juice .

australia
Level Contributor
307 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drinking in kuta

Hi where is the M-Bar-Go please. Also can you reccomend any bars that have good music and not full of all young ones. thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,388 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: drinking in kuta

Nat25M..The clubs are generally fine in Bali , you have your extremes in Bali of some amazing 5 star hotels/clubs to 1 star dives.

Some of the larger clubs offer free drinks to the young patrons , they are stacked up on the bar and are often very bright colored.I would be staying away from those.

Bottled beer is always my choice or cocktails in venues which I have frequented (Sky lounge , Kude tah ,Potato head ,Cocoon).

Dont stress too much..you will have fun

Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
137 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: drinking in kuta

I agree Bintang Beer is the way to go. Alcohol is taxed heavily. Bintang is a weak beer 4.5% alcohol content.

Darwin, NT
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: drinking in kuta

Hi,

The local alcohol they use is "Arak" I guess you just have to becarefull where you go and try the "Arak" try it alone in a glass before you get drinks with it, it is quiet strong so I suggest you try Arak first to see if you can handle it with other alcohol and how much you can handle. They mix it with pretty much any cheap drink to get you drunk. It is a home made alcohol so you have to be sure you are ready to try it and make sure you have travel insurance so if you do get poison you are covered.

Edited: 10:19 pm, August 26, 2012
Darwin, NT
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: drinking in kuta

Hi,

The local alcohol they use is "Arak" I guess you just have to becarefull where you go and try the "Arak" try it alone in a glass before you get drinks with it, it is quiet strong so I suggest you try Arak first to see if you can handle it with other alcohol and how much you can handle. They mix it with pretty much any cheap drink to get you drunk. It is a home made alcohol so you have to be sure you are ready to try it and make sure you have travel insurance so if you do get poison you are covered.

Edited: 10:19 pm, August 26, 2012
Darwin, NT
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: drinking in kuta

Hello,

This may help you on youtube if you do not want to drink with younger people

www.youtube.com/watch…

check this club out it is so great!!

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,130 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: drinking in kuta

Perhaps in some places the "cocktails" are O.K. but in others they could be a problem so it might be just as well to stick to bottled beer. Nice and cold it's very drinkable in a tropical place.

Edited: 7:00 am, August 27, 2012
Brisbane
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: drinking in kuta

Just check whats in the cocktails.. AVOID ARAK