We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money changer kuta/legian

4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Money changer kuta/legian

I have changed my $USD money twice in Kuta. There's a place that exchanges over 10000 rupiah for $1k on main street. (not on Beach). He offers more than going rate. It's a shirt shop.

I am traveling alone. I am pretty sure, twice now, he slighted me $400k rup. He counts out $USd100 in 20000 rupiah, makes 5 stacks. Somehow, he has shorted me a stack.

I have lost $400k rupiah twice in one day, and the only explanation I have is that the money changer shorted me somehow.

Has anyone had a similar experience ?

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
191 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money changer kuta/legian

You will find many similar stories on this forum, despite all warnings given here !

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money changer kuta/legian

Just use a reputable money changer and don't run with scissors.

This one is OK...

http://www.balibestrate.com/dmoneychanger.php

and they publish their rates online with quite frequent rate updates.

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Money changer kuta/legian

Been all over Indonesia for 3 weeks, never had a problem. What a sleezeball! I'm going to give him a piece of my mind and at least let the cops know. For whatever that's worth.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money changer kuta/legian

.The cops won't be interested.. And you don't seem too sure, just that you don't seem to have the money you think you should. Sure give him what for, but mostly just don't go there any more. Look if the rate seems too good , it usually is,, greed is what keeps these people in business. Use a place with the reasonable bank rates. The glassed in offices with full bank operations are the safest, they will not try to give small denominations and will let you count slowly in front of them.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money changer kuta/legian

I suggest you do not try to buy a shirt in a money changer or bank.

Really what were you expecting in a shop selling shirts, you got buttoned up nicely.

These ripoff artists really are loathsome.

Edited: 10:33 am, July 22, 2012
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Money changer kuta/legian

Funny J! I have met the nicest Balinese people and had no idea that I had to watch out for these sleezeballs. Really puts a dent in my perception. Them and the people haggling you for "taxi" or "shopping" constantly as you walk down a street. Lay off the tourists, or we will stop coming.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money changer kuta/legian

Yes, it is sad but some people have a very one dimensional and short sighted view, they are opportunistic, often deceitful and sometimes just plain criminal.

They seem to be on a single minded quest to ruin the Indonesian tourism industry all on their own if they can and take down everyone around them on the way.

Plain stupid is another way of viewing them.

Of course they often think they are the smartest person to ever walk the earth and generally remain recalcitrant to change even if confronted by the stupidity of their actions.

You do need to maintain alertness and a healthy level of cynicism and skepticism during your visit.

However if you successfully do that things will generally be OK, dodgy shirt vendors set-aside.

At least he did not manage to sell you a suspect shirt.

Don't worry most people are OK and many are really very nice.

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Money changer kuta/legian

Wow. Y'all aren't going to believe this. I marched right into store. Some Aussies were exchanging money. I told them they better watch him count their money. I took a picture of the "money changer"... Told him I was plastering his face all over the Internet as well as his store. Was going to Police. Blah, blah... He told me to calm down, and he asked how much money I wanted back. I said $800k rup. He offered $600k; I took it and ran. Crazy, ehh?

Darwin
Level Contributor
33 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money changer kuta/legian

Good on you for getting your money back, I was going to suggest to you that you front the moneychanger and demand your money back, we've also gone back to a moneychanger who ripped us off with the slight of hand trick of counting and recounting your money - and demanded our money back.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money changer kuta/legian

Once bitten twice shy...I think its fair to say ,most TA members have had a similar experience..I am glad to hear you have had your money returned..

Edited: 8:46 pm, July 26, 2012