We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewelry Bargaining and Bargaining in General

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
91 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Jewelry Bargaining and Bargaining in General

In a recent post asking about buying silver jewelry in the Kuta area, one poster wrote:

Dont have any recommendations in Kuta, but I bought the most beautiful choker and matching earrings last I was there in Culak ..... They wanted $570 for the set when I first started bidding, ended up getting them for $52 .... LOL

Since most bargaining involves a seller who knows what something is worth and a buyer who is less informed, the best price I'm willing to pay is a combination of factors: how much I like something, how much I can afford and how much the initial price. My rule of thumb is if I can buy something for half of what the first price is, then OK.

But when the price, as in this case, has no relation to what the seller is willing to accept, where does that leave you?

Is this almost 1100% premium over what the eventual price was common, or are we dealing with total insanity?

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,868 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewelry Bargaining and Bargaining in General

If I was looking at buying something like a piece of jewellery, I would want to come from an informed position about its value before I went any further. I figure you should know roughly what you would pay at home for anything, and if it looks like you are going to be paying more than you believe you should, then walk away. If you are unsure, shop around and see what other outlets are asking for something similar. It's really a case of being as informed as possible before you purchase.

The only other way around it, is to ask yourself, 'do I want it and can I live with paying the asking price'? Bartering is something you either enjoy engaging in or not....I don't and will quickly agree on a price.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
91 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewelry Bargaining and Bargaining in General

All very reasonable points, Soo, but looking at your picture, it's obvious to me that you have an advantage in shopping in a fluid market: any seller would offer such a cute face his or her very best price.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,868 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewelry Bargaining and Bargaining in General

I think it's called 'trying it on'. They will try their very best to get a big price, but it's rare that anyone walks away without a purchase, hence that person getting it for $50. It's all depends on how long you want to play the game, because they will play forever....that's why when I get to a price I can live with, I pay it. If they are making a huge profit good, because I know I've done well too, in comparison to what I would pay here.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewelry Bargaining and Bargaining in General

I would be very cautious of a story like that anyway and also be very wary of the quality of the goods. The good quality places in Celuk will not haggle at all and if they offer you a discount it will be about 10-15% maximum. From my knowledge of Celuk, I would now be thinking that this particular item isn't such good quality. The lesser quality places in Celuk will haggle for price and they also give the drivers big commissions. At the price that was paid, I would say the driver missed out on his commission as well for this sale.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,012 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jewelry Bargaining and Bargaining in General

I bought a bit of silver on my last trip. I spent time searching for places to wholesale. The 'genuine' shops / sellers know the weight and value of the items and will generally price the item and be happy for you to browse without all the hassle and silly bargaining. When you start shopping for silver you soon see the quality of the workmanship. Celuk is a good place to shop for silver but you need to go to 'better' outlets and be cautious of the back street places that some drivers want to take you to. I went to a few and was happy to buy when there was no pressure and silly prices. There are also good silver shops in legian / seminyak (and other places) that have pre priced quality goods without 'pressure selling'. Most of the genuine silver shops will also offer wholesale discounts of up to 50% and often the minimum dollar value you have to buy is around $230 AUD which is not a lot to spend to get the huge savings. They often have web sites and or offer you an e mail address and further genuine details about their business They are usually shops that sell only silver and don't just have a small counter of cheap silver amongst other items. These are the places to buy from.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
379 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jewelry Bargaining and Bargaining in General

This particular item that I purchased was 5 years ago, however is a genuine story ....

I wouldnt waste my time or other members time with a dodgy story ...

The quality of the choker that I purchased is very high quality ..... I do also realise that although stamped "925" some things are not always real silver, however in this case it is .... I still have the choker and still in A1 condition. No tarnish or bad quality metal or silver used.

I am not sure why they started out so high, but I did receive the item for $52 in the end, and I did consult with my driver, who advised me that the original price was way overpriced. He gave me an idea of what he thought it was worth in rupiah, and this equated to about $40, I was happy to pay the $52 when they offered to include the earrings in the sale.

I am sorry I dont know the name of the store, however when I return in a week or so will be sure to visit the store again. It was an upmarket store in Celak, and not a back lane store.

I will post the name if it is still there.

Cheers

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,868 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jewelry Bargaining and Bargaining in General

Hello TravelG. Don't worry I believed your story. I've been often enough and seen enough prices and then final prices to believe it. That's why I emphasised having an idea of what you should be paying for something, or being prepared to barter it down to a price you are happy with.

Happy shopping when you get to Bali.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jewelry Bargaining and Bargaining in General

It's not that I don't believe you, I do. It's just that it's not my experience with the better Celuk suppliers. They are fixed price and sometimes give a discount and their wholesale price is, as Snooky says, about 50% for buying over a certain quantity. I used to buy there for a friend of mine who has a shop here in Brisbane, then I set up for her to buy direct from them via email and mail. That is how I know how the main players work in Celuk. From my dealings the $52 sounds about spot on for what you bought in a 1 off deal. And the only important thing is that you are happy with your purchase and it has stood the test of time.

If you want a recommendation for the very good silver outlet in Celuk have a look at Prapen. Their quality is excellent and their prices are very competative for the quality they produce.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jewelry Bargaining and Bargaining in General

When I was buying anything from jewellery to taxi rides, I would have a rough idea of what it should cost and what I was willing to pay. After a bit of bargining, if I didn't get the price I was after, I said no thanks and walked off ..... hasten to say in most cases I was called back and offered my price.

There's a lot of competition there for everything, almost all shops sell the similar stuff, so if you don't get what you want at one shop, sure enough there will be another shop nearby.

I guess shopping around is a good idea at first, get an idea for who's selling what for what prices. With jewellery it may be harder, espcially if you don't know whats 'real' or not.

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jewelry Bargaining and Bargaining in General

Hi gratianus,

If you are interested in the silver without stone then it's easy, just ask the weight and check the market price at the time. The price for the ready made jewelry starts from 50% more expensive than the silver market price depends on the design. Even a local designer items won't cost 1100% than the market price.

Try Maharani SIlver in Kuta or Bintang Silver in Padma Utara Street, they have good quality and reasonable price.

Hope it helps,

Sandra