We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VOA forms of payment

Which Kuta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
VOA forms of payment

Hi all,

Per Lonely Planet, it is recommended to pay the VOA fee with 25 US dollars. I assume that it is ok to pay with rupiahs? Thank you in advance.

perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,580 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VOA forms of payment

Hi

Yes it is acceptable to pay with rupiah, however, you will be charged at the exchange rate of the day.

For us Aussies, it means we would (or could) pay quite a bit more. I notice you are from USA, would it not be simpler for you to use your currency?

wendy

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VOA forms of payment

Wanderlust if you are thinking of exchanging your money in the USA before you leave I just wanted to let you know that the rate they will give you will be pretty terrible compared to the rate once you get to Bali. There are money changers at the airport in Denpasar and even they will give you a better rate than what you will get in the USA.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VOA forms of payment

Thanks to all of you. Actually I am in Bangkok right now. I just checked and saw that I have 24 US dollars left. Just a dollar short.

Another question comes to mind. What about the airport tax? That can be done in Rupiahs, right? if I read it correctly from this forum, the airport/departure tax is another 20 US dollars or so.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VOA forms of payment

Yes that is 150,000IDR (there is gossip that it will increase sometime) and has to be paid in rupiah. We usually suggest that you fold it up and put it in your passport on day 1 so that you know you have it.

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
39 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VOA forms of payment

Hi so we pay $25 each on arrival and then 150,000Rp each on departure?! Both in Bali airport?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VOA forms of payment

Yep, that's right.

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
39 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: VOA forms of payment

Thank you :) I cant wait, its getting closer and closer

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,177 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: VOA forms of payment

Arthur - when you arrive in the airport, at the immigration area you'll see a Visa On Arrival counter. Hand over your cash there and you'll get a voucher.

Then join the immigration queue and hand over your passport, the voucher, and your immigration card (you should get this given on the plane or in the departure area of your point of disembarkation). They'll stick a visa in your passport, then you need to head to the luggage belt to get your luggage. Then you head through a customs baggage check, then you're out into the arrivals area. Taxi counter is on the right.

On the left are a couple of little shops if you want to get some water or something. I always find this handy to break the big rupiah denominations so you have change for tips.

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
39 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: VOA forms of payment

Thanks noodleboy too! I am going to just withdraw money at the airport and exchange my money there which seems the best.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,763 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: VOA forms of payment

do check previous posts re exchanging money in bali. there are some dishonest changers so do your own calculations, count the rupiah twice and stick with kodak shops, and exchangers at the department stores for example. stay away from the dodgy ones down lanes, at the back of shops etc that appear to offer 'fantastic' rates.