We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Prawita 63 Jalan Legian

australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Prawita 63 Jalan Legian

Hi, can anyone give a review on Hotel Prawita at 63 Jalan Legian. I am interested to get input on general cleanliness, value for money, safety, quiet etc and also whether the restraurant there serves good food and value for money. Many thanks

Perth
Level Contributor
403 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Prawita 63 Jalan Legian

White travelling between Europe and Australia in 2003 - 2004, I had 3 quick stops at the Hotel Prawita. I discovered it because on the first occasion I was searching for something that was reasonable value (cheap) to suit my circumstances and I was searching on foot. I was happy with the price and I would be curious to know what you would be paying for it now.

As each trip was only 3-4 nights, I never ate at the restaurant and it was low season (January). But I recall never seeing many people in the restaurant. I had the breakfast once and once only, it was minimal, but maybe its because I didn't consciously seek a better deal for breakfast from them, so don't judge them by that.

I would not worry too much about their food. It is located in one of the most ideal locations for restaurants, just stroll out of the hotel left or right and maybe up one of the Poppies lanes and you have plenty of options.

Its a VERY, VERY central location. When it comes to Jalan Legian in Kuta, its as central as you would get, between Poppies 1 and Poppies 2.

It wasn't a very big place as I recall.

I recall it was quiet and never really saw more than a couple people there (again, remember its low season). No one at the pool bar, not set up for drinks as I recall. No one in the pool, though it rained alot. Nothing special about the pool, it was small.

I found the rooms pretty plain. Some wooden furniture, tiny tv, at the time there wasn't any international channels, bathrooms were average, I can't recall the details too well, but I am pretty sure it was standard 2 star fair, but if I was returning fora 2 star experience, I would probably go elsewhere.

It was ok for me as someone staying for a couple nights alone, but I would look harder by booking ahead next time. I find it doesn't really offer much other than being a cheap option for the budget traveller. But things might have improved, I cannot say.

Regarding safety, I never really felt unsafe in Bali. The rooms are away from the mian road, you walk between the restaurant and reception area to get to the rooms. I recall 2 or 3 levels for the rooms. I was on the second level first and second stay, ground floor on the last one.

Hope that may help a little.

Tell us what your budget is and what you would like ina location and myself or other regulars can maybe recommend something that might be better value for money for you.

australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Prawita 63 Jalan Legian

Many thanks for the detailed reply. We have travelled fairly extensively in Bali but generally stay in Legian when we are in the "big smoke". Next trip, we have decided to do the central Kuta thing. We are travelling as a fairly large group of around 14 people with a mixture of elderly, middle aged (I guess I now fall into that category), teenagers and young children. We are looking for a boutique style hotel with a family feel, good gardens, clean, pool, quiet - late at night (although we like a bit of a buzz the rest of the time), not high rise (2/3 levels is around our max given the people in our group), we want to be very close to poppies I and II so that we can really explore the restaurants and bars round that area, we have to have fridges (for our diabetic fellow traveller), tv to keep the kids amused in the evening and a pool. Our budget is around A$100 for a triple room which should include breakfast and also should take into the account the fact that we are there at peak season (dec 2009/jan 2010). We have been doing some fairly extensive research and have so far ruled out most of the usual suspects due to price, location, reviews or just plain ugliness. We would really be grateful to hear of any prime hotels which may fit our bill. Many thanks

Perth
Level Contributor
403 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Prawita 63 Jalan Legian

Hello,

From what you said, I wouldn't choose Prawita. It may have changed, but the tv was only Indonesian when I was there and I wouldn't say there was any Buzz. If you want that type of location and that price, you might want to consdier the White Rose. I stayed there last time. It is not aperfect place, but good enough, with a good buffet breakfast, international tv, nice pool, good restaurant / bar and very central. It is much nicer than the Prawita. While it is more expensive, you should still be able to get it for under $100. The short lane to it begins right near the bomb memorial next to Poppies 2. There are lovely gardens there also. The only down side is that some might have to go up stairs, so if you chose it, I would recommend requesting that you don't go to the 3rd floor. There was also a fridge, which was empty, which I prefer and would suit the needs of your group.

I haven't stayed at these ones, but for a similar option and price range, people often recommend the Adi Dharma Hotel or Cottages or the Dewi Seri, but I would check those out first. I wasn't overly kind in my review of the White Rose, but I think maybe I was expecting something a little more perfect. I would stay there agian at the right price.

If you wanted a busy area, but not so close to Poppies, people often recommend the Feris in Tuban.

Back in Kuta, another option is The Barong, though it does have younger people there often, so some reviews will suggest it can be noisy later at night.

Maybe a post for more hotel suggestion might be in order to get more suggestions from other TA members??

australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Prawita 63 Jalan Legian

Many thanks again. We had checked out all the hotels you mention and had eliminated them as potentials for many of the reasons you list in your last post. My sister was in contact last night with a venue that I was not even aware of, despite exhaustive research - Poppies Bali Cottages, opposite Poppies restaurant in Poppies I. It was a little above our notional budget and did not include breakfast but it was simply irresistable and....so we booked our various rooms this morning for two weeks in December/Jan. Given the location, cheap breakfasts will be absolutely no problem and we will be able to explore Poppies I and II at our leisure. Thanks again for all the input on this one. I now need to start a post for good massage/treatment venues in that area. I don't suppose you have a handle on this issue?

Perth
Level Contributor
403 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Prawita 63 Jalan Legian

Sorry, with embarrassment, I can say in 6 visits I have never had a massage in Bali.

australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Prawita 63 Jalan Legian

tsk tsk. i almost wouldn't believe it, except that my son loathes massages and any of that touchy feely sort of stuff.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,653 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Prawita 63 Jalan Legian

well i stumbled accross this looking for reviews of Prawita.

I have stayed in Ida hotel (small, family feel, reasonably close to the 2 poppies lanes, pool open until about 11.30pm and quiet.

I have also stayed in matahari bungalows, thats reasonably close to lanes also but you have to turn the pool light on at night as they often don't....it is away from guests so won't disturb.

I would also suggest Masa Inn as that is in poppies 1 and seems to be very popular. Is probably not a family feel but has 2 pools and suitable for all age groups.

Balisandy in poppies 2 might also fit the bill.

Also Aneka hotel in poppies 1 and on the beach road just up is Kuta seaview.

Around the corner on Jalan Pantai kuta is Summer hotel.

Back up on Jalan Legian is Samsara...a boutique style but very popular.

Hope they help.

Hope they help.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
305 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Prawita 63 Jalan Legian

Have you considered Poppies Cottages in poppies lane 1. It doesnt have a restaurant but its so close to so many, very boutique and private and everyone gets their own little villa.

australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Prawita 63 Jalan Legian

Hello and Bingo. If you look at my post of 2 February, you will see that we actually ended up booking at Poppies Cottages for 14 days in Dec/Jan. We are really looking forward to it. We have also booked a two week impromptu stay in Bali in May/June so will be able to check out the facilities then and decide whether we made the right choice or otherwise. many thanks.

10. Re: Hotel Prawita 63 Jalan Legian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:25 am, October 15, 2009