We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kata, Karon - is Kuta similar?

London, United...
Level Contributor
289 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Kata, Karon - is Kuta similar?

Hi, it's my first visit to Bali, hopefully in October 09' so...as a fan of Phuket and Samui, I'm seeking a nice balance between busy bars and gentle retreats at Kuta, too much to ask? A lone traveller who prefers the independance and discretion of bungalows to large hotels. I have around 10 day's or so to split so Kuta and Ubud or somewhere else? Still youngish' at 45 so nowhere to quiet please, regards Phil.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
victoria
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kata, Karon - is Kuta similar?

Sanur would be more like Kata or Karon.

Kuta is more like Patong.

Seminyak is a little more refined than Kuta but not as quiet as Sanur.

I think Sanur and Ubud would suit you admirably,:)

Mentioned in this post
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Perth
Level Contributor
140 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kata, Karon - is Kuta similar?

HI,

I traveled to Phuket twice before my first tip to Bali and I have to say I was very shocked at how commercial Kuta is.

Kuta is full of large air-conditioned shopping centres and overpriced restaurants. There is surf shop after surf shop all selling the same as what you can get at home and for the same price too. I personally find the shopping in Phuket much better than Bali

If you are looking for something a little more like Kata Or Karon I would recommend Legian/Seminyak.

I can recommend the Kamala Pantai and the Puri Raja for smaller boutique style properties. Both hotels are on the beach and are in a quieter location with market style shops & nice very cheap restaurants & bars within easy walking distance. Plus you are only a 15-20 min walk out of Kuta along the beach road if you want some hustle and bustle

I have heard that Sanua is beautiful although I have not personally visited

I have found in the past few years Phuket has become very expensive Bali is a far cheaper holiday than Phuket

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions

Hope you have a great trip

Ness

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Legian
Legian
Kuta District, Indonesia
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
Perth
Level Contributor
140 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kata, Karon - is Kuta similar?

Woops sorry

to answer your question NO..

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,017 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kata, Karon - is Kuta similar?

sanur is the closest to Kata and Karon. Kuta is lite patong beach. sanur is more like a village and a lovely place to relax and wander around but you won't get night clubs etc here. there are nice restaurants and it is a great place to stay more laid back and easy to wander around, some nice shops and a good supermarket and a lovely paved walkway along the beach. there are some lovely hotels on the beach front. also lots of smaller hotels a short walk to the beach. Legian and seminyak are just away from the jostle of kuta with night life and restaurants and shopping but the roads are busier than sanur and the beach here has surfing waves and is much busier than sanur. In sanur some of the hotels have the beach front solely for guests without hawkers. the beach here is calm and best for swimming at high tide. kuta is extremely busy with lots of cheap shopping and restaurants and nightlife.

Ubud is lovely and very cultural. no beach here but plenty to see and do and defiantly worth staying a few days for sure. there are some good budget smaller hotels.

bali is similar to phuket in some respects i am sure you will enjoy your stay.

Mentioned in this post
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
Legian
Legian
Kuta District, Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
perth
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kata, Karon - is Kuta similar?

Hi there, probably Sanur or Seminyak would be good for you.

I love Bali but don't expect the beaches to be like Phuket's beaches, there is really no comparison!

Bali is a cheaper holiday, food and clothing is cheaper. Phuket is cleaner but more expensive.

My choice would be Seminyak and Ubud.

Mentioned in this post
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
adelaide
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kata, Karon - is Kuta similar?

i would go seminyak... its similar to kuta but definately more charming and smaller scale!!! similar to the comparisons between patong and kata!! however i dont find Kuta as full on as patong!!

kata is my favourite place after travelling to phuket and koh samui many times and i will be staying in seminyak when i travel to bali in 3 weeks!!! however make sure you travel to bali with no expectations after being to thailand, bali is very different to thailand and beautiful in its own way!!! they can not really be compared!!!

XX

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,322 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kata, Karon - is Kuta similar?

I'd say Sanur is probably the closest to Kata, and has the added bonus that you're not cramped up like sardines on the beach, unlike Kata. There are plenty of little boutique hotels in Sanur.

Seminyak is okay, nice restaurants and bars, quite funky, but Sanur has a bit more charm.

Mentioned in this post
Sanur
Sanur
Denpasar, Indonesia
Seminyak
Seminyak
Kuta District, Indonesia
London, United...
Level Contributor
289 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kata, Karon - is Kuta similar?

Thank you all so much, this is why I keep returning to TA year after year! Regarding Phuket, I did not last long in Patong last time, about 6 day's so. Whilst I enjoy the bars/clubs/pubs, sometimes, less really is more! As I tend not to revisit on principle and length of life, I will proberbly extend my stay in Bali to 12-14 days just so I can move around, and sample as much as possible. Your help here has been invaluable! Kind Regards Phil.

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Bandung, Indonesia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kata, Karon - is Kuta similar?

hey phil..

Why don't you try to view some facts and destination about Bali through www.itripindo.com. It's a site that provide a quite good about Bali and its Hotels. Whatever its good or bad, they will tell you...

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
10. Re: Kata, Karon - is Kuta similar?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, October 17, 2009