We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother & teenage daughter 1st Timers

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mother & teenage daughter 1st Timers

Hi All,

I would like some ideas for our first trip to Bali. We are staying in Legian at an aveage motel, but niether of us care about 5 Star blah blah ( when in Rome)

We Like:

food, will try anything- love asian although not chinese

Shopping, always on a budget tips for haggling would help.

Lying on the beach, which one?

Massage, Daily idealy...with talented masseuse.

As I am a Beauty Therapist are spa trips the best value? forget Facials/ Spa treatments- they could not impress me- occupational hazzard.........

Really want to experience Local treatments

Learn to surf

Moped riding, sounds scary/ dangerous ??????? or should we get around on pushbikes ( I am not that fit)

Excellent taxi driver hire for the day or use motel transfer

Want to see some culture & waterfalls..

Would like to give gifts from Aust what would locals value?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mother & teenage daughter 1st Timers

We Like:

food, will try anything- love asian although not chinese

There are literally hundreds of restaurants in Legian. Just look at the menu out the front and choose if they are the price you want and have food you like. Prices vary from $1 a meal up. There are hundreds of great in the $5-10 a meal range. Sydney restaurant standard that you would pay $20-30 for here.

Shopping, always on a budget tips for haggling would help.

Most stalls etc you need to bargain. Get a maximum price in your mind of what you are prepared to pay. Offer half of that. I don't bother asking how much as starting prices vary. If you do ask a price and it's crazy just laugh. They'll quickly drop. They will tell you if you can bargain.

Lying on the beach, which one?

Legian beach is quite good. Go at about 4pm. Pull up a chair and drink until sunset. A good way to meet locals and other tourists.

Massage, Daily idealy...with talented masseuse.

There are some good and not so good. There are HEAPS of massage places opening up now (low overheads as wages are cheap). Prices from $4- up. Most are not trained. Some are downright dangerous.

As I am a Beauty Therapist are spa trips the best value? forget Facials/ Spa treatments- they could not impress me- occupational hazzard.........

Wht type are you looking for. I love the creme bath. They wash your hair, massage, add conditioner, massage your shoulders and wash your hair. mmmm. SSSOOO relaxing.

Really want to experience Local treatments

Learn to surf

There are professional surf schools or just ask the guys on the beach that hire the boards for a lesson 100.000rp??

Moped riding, sounds scary/ dangerous ??????? or should we get around on pushbikes ( I am not that fit)

You will have difficulty finding pushbikes. I wouldn't hire a motorbike unless you have a licence. Jump on the back of one if you need a quick lift but taxis are VERY cheap. Get them to put the meter on. Light blue (Bluebird) is best. Only $2 for a few kilometers.

Excellent taxi driver hire for the day or use motel transfer

For day trips get a driver. Negotiate a price for the whole day 300-350.000rp. Check the hotel price but they are usually more expensive.

Want to see some culture & waterfalls..

Get some brochures from the small stalls or you hotel. Ask a driver how much for the day. Most tours charge per person. DON'T pay that. Some things include transport, eg white water rafting. Bargain a lot less than the brochure price

Would like to give gifts from Aust what would locals value?

Money.. But I also take the clip on koalas. I put one on my dress each day with a few in my bag to give away. The ladies on the beach like lipsticks, nail polish, nice soaps, bras (sounds funny but these are a luxury. The ladies only buy these if there is money left.)

I collect the guest soaps, shampoo, conditioner, moisturizers, toothbrushes etc from hotels. I put them in ziplock bags and hand those out.

When are you going??

If you have any more questions just ask. Everyone here (well almost) is very helpful.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mother & teenage daughter 1st Timers

Just one thing to add to the tips on haggling, if they let you walk away, you are too cheap. If the sale is worthwhile they will walk over hot coals to get the sale. But most importantly, have fun. It's a game, don't take it too seriously and remember that a few cents for us is worth alot more to them.

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mother & teenage daughter 1st Timers

Hi,

I was hopeless at haggling on my 1st trip. Mybooks daughter would say to me "God how much did you pay? You got ripped off!" But if I thought the price I had paid was OK & I was happy to pay it I don't see that as being ripped off. On my 2nd trip I was much better after practise & actually enjoyed having a laugh & joke with the sellers.It can be good fun!

Children love hair accessories, pencils & sharpener, pens, crayons, notebooks, rubbers, small power balls,nail varnish, hand held games. The list is endless because many of them have so very little yet they are full of spirit, smiles & laughter.

If you choose one of the drivers recommended here on the forum, most of them will be happy to help you to plan a trip which includes some culture & waterfalls.To find the list of drivers, click on Before you Go in the left hand menu, then click on Transportation/Drivers.

Ursie

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mother & teenage daughter 1st Timers

Hi again,

Sorry! Books should have been added to the list of gifts for children.

Also can recommend a visit to the Safari & Marine Park at Lebih, which is not far from Sanur. Had the time of my life there in August. If you book a driver to take you there, he will get into the park free & you can arrive & leave at your leisure rather than at set times which you would have to do with a tour.

Ursie

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
136 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mother & teenage daughter 1st Timers

Gifts

i agree with Ursie57 about kids things! we always take pencils & texta's for the kids....

i noticed last time we went a few women had bags of clothes they gave to some of the women on the beach and any cosmetics.

Learn to Surf

There is a surf school opposite kuta beach, always notice it! never been though :)

Daily Massages

Massages on the beach are good but sometimes i find can be a tad rough! massages in the hotels at their spas are 3 times the price and nice, we had massages in a hut opposite the ocean with the sound of waves crashing at the Kartika which was lovely....

Scooters

give them a miss unless you are experienced ALREADY! the taxi's are cheap and plentiful and have air con ;)

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Mother & teenage daughter 1st Timers

Thankyou all for the ideas & tips, this helps us to have a memorable holiday I am sure.

Question:

Will the Bali women mind if the cosmetics are used? Half full, bras worn etc

cheers

Mikiimoon

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,954 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mother & teenage daughter 1st Timers

it does not matter if the item is used. half full bottles of nail polish, anything they can use for themselves or use to provide an income. virtually everything is gratefully received. most people have so little as you will see when you get there. i take over all sorts of things new and used. i even go to the discount or $2 shops and stock up on useful items. i usually end up taking local friends shopping which is a real treat for them. last year a lovely waitress at our hotel badly needed work shoes so i helped her out. she had no money to buy any and had to share 1 pair with her sister.

do try the hair cream baths. they are one of the best treatments. my youngest now 4 loves them.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mother & teenage daughter 1st Timers

Snooky, tell me more about the hair cream baths?

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mother & teenage daughter 1st Timers

Hi Tiddles,

A hair cream bath is so relaxing! Your scalp is massaged with a rich cream e.g. avocado to stimulate circulation, working in sections, steaming follows to hydrate & preserve suppleness. Your therapist then massages your shoulders & upper arms before applying natural hair treatments, rinsing & towel or blowdrying your hair. It takes approx 1hr.

Ursie

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mother & teenage daughter 1st Timers

There is also a reflexology place in legian, almost opposite indo national restaurant ( just ask anyone where this restaurant is they will know ) ....... its pretty cheap & takes a little over an hour.

They start by soaking your feet in warm water , giving them a wash & then they work on the feet by applying force to the pressure points in your feet ( it can hurt a little ) (i'm getting cold shivers thinking about it )lol .... then they do the same to your hands , this is soooooo relaxing , then they give you an all over body massage ( clothes on ) .

I always come out of there totally rejuvenated .

cheers

batt