We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time to bali

Which Kuta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
perth
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
first time to bali

Hi I am about to book a trip to bali in oct, for myself and 18 year old daughter. our travel agent is arranging bali gardens but i have had a bit of bad feedback on the place. could anyone help with places,and activity's to do as this is our first time here.

thanks Donna

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,889 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time to bali

what sort of bad feedback have you heard?. the hotel has had a lot of renovations and is in a good position close to shops, waterbom park, and it is beachfront. i suppose it depends on what you want from your accommodation as well. sure there are hotels which may suit you better. maybe if you advise what you like and expect from a hotel, how much you want to spend etc some places could be suggested as alternatives so you can compare.

Perth
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time to bali

My niece has just returned back and she stayed in the Bali Garden. She said it was really nice. If you want the same location but more expensive I can recommend the Santika Hotel. A price range will be helpful so we can give you some more options.

Australia
Level Contributor
923 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time to bali

i dont think you will get in there. i tried to book for October and got told its booked out

perth
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: first time to bali

Thanks guys for replying to my post so quick. Firstly the feedback was a couple of friends who had stayed said it was ok just some of the amenties werent working however they did say that renos were being carried out, and that the pool was great. I'm not to fussy just worried with an eighteen year old girl and being a first time travler to a place ive never been to. And also just wanted to make sure before the travel agent books us in.I was told by the travel agent that there was rooms left ....I hope so or i'll have to start again as i wanted to stay in this price range.Also do you know of best places to visit why i'm over their any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks Donna

perth
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: first time to bali

just an update...couldnt get into bali gardens liked you said grhh, but have been offered the Jayakarta bali does anyone know about this hotel as i have to book tomorrow or do anyone know of a hotel around same price that would be nice to stay at

thanks Donna

perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time to bali

Hi Donna compare the prices for Kumala Pantai it is better than jayakarta. Both those are close to each other and in walking distance of rum jungle road, where there are little shops restaurants massages and they are not far from double 6 road and a bit further away is Bintang Supermarket.

Taxis are very cheap, so don't worry about distance to Kuta etc. What sort of things (activities) are you interested in? Arts/crafts/shopping/sightseeing/, let us know and you will be inundated with suggestions!

cheers

wendy

perth
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: first time to bali

Thanks Wendy, to late daughters already booked and paid. so i guess Jayakarta bali it is(we are staying in the superior pool view room thats all i know took me ages last night finding a pic of the room). We are wanting to shop relax and sightsee. so more or less everything we can fit into 12 days.what do you sugesst is well worth seeing?

Donna

perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first time to bali

Hi Donna

you will have a ball in Bali! Shopping? So much to buy, not enough room in the suitcase!! (lol)

There are Department Stores such as Mata Hari, specialty boutiques animale versace billabong, markets where you barter for the cheap copies of just about everything! Shoes galore! Housewares opticians, supermarkets where you might find consumables cheaper than in perth!

type "shopping" in the search engine above and you will get links to all sorts of places. Also Geneva Handcrafts comes well recommended as opposed to the Markets.

A great trip we did once was the Wakalouka Landcruise. Picked up from the hotel in a Landrover and taken through some villages, stopping to walk a bit and take in the sights and wonderful smells, saw volcanic stone being hand mined and rice fields/terraces with 4wd up to a mountain top retreat for a great buffet lunch and then back through plantations and home.

If your daughter likes watersports a day out to Nusa Lembongan on something like the Bali Hai is a good day out too.

You can go elephant riding, whitewater rafting, camel riding, quad bikes, golfing, surfing, indulge in spa treatments and eat some glorious food and watch some great sunsets.!!

I would visit Uluwatu Temple, perched on a cliff, stopping on the way there or back at GWK (Garuda Wisnu Kencana) Park. It is a very high point in Bali and is a work in progress, ie a giant statue and surrounds is being constructed. It was where the memorial service for the first bombing was held (the one John Howard went to).

look at www.balistarisland.com for ideas on things to do, www.theyakmag.com there is a review there on the landcruise and troll through the posts here for some really good advice and tips on costs places to go things to do.

You will have a great time!

hope the above helps a little bit!

cheers

wendy

perth
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: first time to bali

Hi Wendy

Thanks so much for all the wonderful info i will start looking at all these places asap I cant wait to go it is going to be so exciting.

Donna

perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: first time to bali

Hi Donna another site to visit www.learningindonesian.com on that site you can learn basic indonesian for free. It is nice to be able to say a few words like please thank you etc.

don't hesitate to pose more questions as they come to mind, that is what the forum is all about!

Have fun exploring!

cheers

wendy