We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alone in Kuta Bali, is it safe ?

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Alone in Kuta Bali, is it safe ?

Hi everyone,

My partner cud not go to bali wiz me at the last min due to some (very) urgent business matters that need his attention, and since i've already booked and paid for our accomodation and tickets, i was telling to myself why not i go there ALONE ?

but as usual, im abit afraid to travel alone to a place which i've never been before?

i need much help and assurance on wat to be recommended for a single traveller like me, such as things to be done etc etc

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alone in Kuta Bali, is it safe ?

Hi Yvonne,

where will you be staying?

I go to Bali by myself quite often. You will be fine. As you mare in Kuta it is a touristy area with lots of people to meet.

Learn a few words of Indonesian and talk to the locals. They will help you.

Go and have a great time.

When are you going?

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Alone in Kuta Bali, is it safe ?

Hi Yvonne

I travel to Bali regularly on my own. I have never had any problems. In fact it's much better travelling on your own as it forces you "out of your comfort zone".

Go to Bali and enjoy the amazing culture and the beautiful people.

Regards.... Princi62

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Hobart
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Alone in Kuta Bali, is it safe ?

Hi, Yvonne

I have been to Bali the last 3 years on my own and had a wonderful time. You cannot help but meet people and the locals are so friendly. Don't be afraid to go out and have a meal on your own, or sit and have a drink on your own, just soak up the wonderful atmosphere. Everyone is there to have a good time and are more than happy to talk to you if you can strike up a conversation. At breakfast if I saw someone sitting on their own I would just ask if they would mind if I joined them and most of the time they were happy for me to.

Try and find some tours where there are a group of people going and join in and you will surely meet up with someone to talk to.

Just go and have a wonderful time and don't be afraid as Bali is such a wonderful, friendly place.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alone in Kuta Bali, is it safe ?

Hi,

It's OK to be alone in Bali. Do you like shopping? It's cheaper in Kuta than in Singapore. There are a lot of beach stuff. You won't find things like Mango, Zara, Takashimaya, etc though.

There is a shopping mall Centro, (a la Singapore style) in Kuta where you can find Giordano, Krispy Kreme etc. ANother place is Matahari Square. Think Mustafa kind of setting (but better). I don't normally go to these places but prefer small shops. Don't want to see/buy the same things I can see back in Singapore.

Alternatively, you can also hire a driver for a day who can take you out of Kuta and you get to see the real Bali. Here is a list of drivers:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294226-s1/Bali:Indon…

You can also go for massages, pedicures, manicures. Cheaper than Singapore.

It's got a very relaxed feel (bring casual stuff as it's also hot!). I don't know where else you have been in Asia that might be a bit similar to Bali... that might help you compare the 2...

But GO!! And have fun. :-)

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Matahari Kuta Square
Matahari Kuta Square
140 Reviews
Kuta, Indonesia
Asia
Asia
World
Penang Island...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Alone in Kuta Bali, is it safe ?

Hi everyone,

tks so much for ur replies.

it really make me wanna go and enjoy Bali, even thought im all by myself !!

i will be there early july and staying at Hotel Wina Holiday Villa.

not too sure bout tis hotel as i booked online, can anyone pls to provide review on tis hotel? the latest i heard was renovation works is being done at this particular hotel.

will the local tour cost more, if im travelling alone?

tks again for ur replies as it really make me look forward to tis trip again !!

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Alone in Kuta Bali, is it safe ?

Hi Yvonne

Have you read these reviews on Trip Advisor....

Check out the link.....

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g297697-d450873…

Regards... Princi62

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Alone in Kuta Bali, is it safe ?

Hi princi62,

*sob*

i know i know, i've read bout the reviews and kinda worried also, but i can't change anything as i've booked and paid for it !!

juz hoping that it wont turn out that bad ;)

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
152 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alone in Kuta Bali, is it safe ?

Just been back from Bali..Bali is very safe..unless you are venturing out in some dark lanes or some unknown laneway by locals..usually its always crowded we use to walk back to our hotel at arnd 3:00 am ..streets seem to be deserted with taxis queued up on roads...but we never feld unsafe..

but still its always safe to be in a crowd or a group..but be sure your hotel is on a main sraight which is well lit ..enjoy your holidays !!

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Penang Island...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Alone in Kuta Bali, is it safe ?

Hi everyone,

its me and i hv a gud news to share. Im not goin to bali alone after all, my partner has finally managed to get his things done and he juz confirm to me that he's able to go on tis trip wiz me! *glad* *glad*

so im looking for tis trip and many thanks for ur replies.

now bout the day tour, which is the muz visit places in bali ? i was recommended to go for Kintamani & volcano tour ?

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alone in Kuta Bali, is it safe ?

I know many females say they go to Bali alone and really like it, BUT I DIDN'T

I was lonely.. I'm not overly shy, but I couldn't just latch onto strangers so I ate alone morning, noon and night.

I shopped alone, I sat around the pool semi alone, I did strike up a few friendly conversations, but most were couples , families etc and made no effort to include me.

I hated it. Unless you are outgoing, you may find you are very alone.

Just another opinion as not everyone finds it ok to spend a holiday on their own.

There is nothing to be afraid of though, so if you just want to have a relaxing time you will be fine.

Don't tell taxi drivers, sellers, or any men you are on your own though, just a precaution. :) :)

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia