We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine

Which Kuta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
801 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Wine

Hi

We like our daily glass of wine. Can we buy reasonably good, reasonably priced wine to keep in the room? Or should we bring from home. I believe I read that the area is not big for wine.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine

You can buy bottled wine in many places on Bali. Even if you bring with you, eventually you will run out and need to buy. Or if you like something special, it may not be available on Bali. Gourmet Garage near Jimbaran village off the Ngurah Rai bypass has a pretty good selection and also has a nice ice cream counter. Also, Papaya, the Japanese market near Kuta off Sunset Road, has a small but decent selection and a great bakery. There is always Carrefour on Sunset Road.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,886 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine

bali has some wineries so you will be able to taste some different varieties.

take a look at

www.hattenwines.com

www.baliwine.com

check the local supermarkets for a good selection at good prices.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,477 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine

Please don't forget that you are unable to bring more than 1 litre per person with you on entering Bali. This includes wine and spirits. I always take spirits as it lasts much longer than 1 bottle of wine. WIne is relatively expensive when you buy it in Bali.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine

Good wine is generally expensive in Bali due to the high import tariffs - expect to pay a lot more for an extremely drop!

I am a big wine fan and I just don't really bother here as what I really like is generally about 60 - 80 USD from the bottle shop - too much for me!

As Yama note mentioned Gourmet garage (and their sister store the Pantry in Sanur) have a good selection - they have just started bringing in Kim Crawford NZ Sav blanc which is a great wine and is about 256,000rp - not bad for here!

Gourmet garage also stock a new local wine produced by Hattens called 2 Islands and is not widely availble in the bottle shops - they do a Chardonnay and a Merlot - made with Australian grapes and manufactured here (gets around the import tax you see) while not a 'complex wine shall we say!' it is perfectly drinkable and at 90K a bottle is a bargain around here! be warned though it is over 14%! thats what brewing in the tropics does!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine

the first line should have ended 'extremely average drop' have no idea what happened to the 'average' in the sentence!

Must have been the sunset cosmo's at SOS bar tonight - You were totally right Illab fantastic spot! or the lemencello's at Trattoria!

Ontario
Level Contributor
801 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine

Thanks for the tips. We will bring a litre each and see and look for '2 islands'

7. Re: Wine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, September 18, 2009