We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better hotel deals in person?

Level Contributor
45 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Better hotel deals in person?

Hi! I have read somewhere that you could get better deals at Bali hotels in person. Is that true?

For a 7 day vacation in Bali, would it be worth getting 3 days reserved in advance at one hotel, then try to get the second hotel in person? We were considering staying somewhere like Le Meridien for the second hotel, which is about $230+tax/day for the most affordable room with breakfast included.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Hotels with free breakfast in Jimbaran
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
850 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better hotel deals in person?

Yeh im kinda interested in that one to.Hubby and I are getting of the plane in February for 6 nights Not peak time and thought we would just have a go and turn up.We land at lunch time we have a couple of places in mind in Kuta.

Mentioned in this post
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better hotel deals in person?

I did this on my trip last year- booked the first 10 days and then went in person to a few hotels. The prices I received were more then what I had seen on agoda and when I asked the hotels if they would match the price they said they couldnt and to book through the website

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,617 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better hotel deals in person?

Hi

In my experience you do not get better prices by asking in person at a hotel. The personnel at the front desk generally do not have the required permission to do deals. The best way to get a good price is on the internet. If you get to an hotel and ask for a price, I find the hotel often thinks that you are desperate and will pay anything as you really need a room. You also waste a fair bit of time this way. I was in an hotel in Hong Kong once and wanted to return for an extra night, went to the from desk to get the same price as I had already found on the internet and they couldn't do it. I then had to go up to my room and book it on the internet! Silly, I know, but that's how it works!

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
11,687 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Better hotel deals in person?

This is an experiment you can run...call up the hotel and say you are next door but are thinking of moving this afternoon. On the internet the price is XX. Ask them if they can beat the internet price or not...that's one way you know what their basic policies are.

For a big chain like Le Meridien I really doubt they can do that. If budget is a problem look at smaller cozier non-international chains...I feel they are generally just as good if not better value in Bali

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,019 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Better hotel deals in person?

The old days of good 'walk in rates' are really gone. Rates with online agents are better 99% of the time. Apart from cheaper rates you often get members credit etc towards future bookings. I have just booked all of my accommodation for my next Bali trip and it was much much cheaper to book with online agents compared to enquiring direct. If you just turn up you get the 'rack rate'. Smaller places like home stays may be your best option if you want to 'bargain' a price however it is best to book ahead. The more popular hotels can often book out in advance so if you have your heart set on something then book.

The online agents often have specials as well when you subscribe. Things like 15% off for booking 3 nights or more, insider deals, 7% of booking value credited towards future bookings.

Going from place to place negotiating wastes time as well.

Edited: 5:54 am, August 07, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
6. Re: Better hotel deals in person?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 09, 2015