We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel want copies of p.port & credit card - normal?

newcastle
3 posts
Save Topic
Hotel want copies of p.port & credit card - normal?

I'm reserving a villa at the Ahimsa Beach resort and to secure the booking, along with a deposit they are asking for photocopies of our passports and credit card.

I've never been asked to do this for any hotel booking and the two other hotels I've booked in Bali haven't requested this.

Is this usual or should I be worried??

thanks in advance

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,621 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel want copies of p.port & credit card - normal?

Hi NewcastleKaty

Yes, this is normal practice in Bali - the banks ask for it as they have no other way of being sure that the credit card is not a stolen one.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel want copies of p.port & credit card - normal?

Normal. This is a very frequently asked question.

SYDNEY
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel want copies of p.port & credit card - normal?

Hi, last time I was asked to I refused and they did not ask again, I raised this in another post. If you choose to give your credit card details by photocopy, Are you to fax, scan it to them? If so do not give them the 3 digit security code (CV) number of the back of it.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,037 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel want copies of p.port & credit card - normal?

I don't provide my passport details but have provided my credit card details when necessary. another alternative to sending the complete number in an e mail is to send the number in different e mails ie first 4 digits 1st e mail etc.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,563 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel want copies of p.port & credit card - normal?

Yes, it's common practice, although some hotels don't require it so there's no consistency. I've provided my details by both scanned email and fax for hotels in Bali and Lombok. Not had a problem, but if you're wary about providing this information, try and find a booking website that you can use that doesn't require this information.

6. Re: Hotel want copies of p.port & credit card - normal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, November 14, 2010