We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jimbaran

London
Level Contributor
54 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Jimbaran

Hi there!

We are just booking our honeymoon to the four seasons jimbaran bay for next july.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a few queries?

Is it safe in Jimbaran? I know there was a bomb there in 2005 but that was a while ago now, is the feeling safer now?

Also, is the sea calm enough to swim in safely? And what is the weather like generally in July?

Many Thanks! xxx

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,919 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jimbaran

There were the 2 Bali bombs, both devastated tourism for quite some time. After the second bomb, security was very much stepped up and is still evident today, certainly in hotels. It's as safe as anywhere else in the world at the moment. The UK Foreign Office isn't advising against travel to Bali, and having just returned from there it was very busy. Look at all the other postings on the Bali forum and you'll see that there are lots of visitors. Personally, I feel safer in Bali than here in the UK on a Saturday night.

You can swim in the sea at Jimbaran although there are undercurrents that you need to be careful of.

Weather in July should be very nice, it's in the dry season so expect temperatures around 31 degrees and lots of very strong sun. Take high factor sun lotion, 30+, you'll be surprised at the number of sunburned tourists you see there with lots of interesting white strap marks and peeling skin because they think SPF15 is acceptable.

London
Level Contributor
54 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jimbaran

LOL, ill make sure i wear high SPF sun cream then.

Do the restaurants on the beach stay open late for drinks? I like to stay out late after dinner and the only thing that worries me about bali is being stuck in a 5* hotel miles away from anywhere. I want to be walking distance from cafes and bars. x

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,919 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jimbaran

The beach-based seafood restaurants start setting up around 5:30pm for the evening meals as most people come to Jimbaran for the sunset around 6:30pm. You can also watch the planes coming into land at the airport which is just at the north end of Jimbaran. They stay open for as long as you're there really, but it starts to quieten down around 9pm-10pm. Expect candle lit dinners, and strolling buskers who will ask you where your from and take requests (providing you like Robbie Williams or James Blunt).

Get a taxi up into Kuta/Legian/Seminyak if you're looking for nightlife. Jalan Dhyana Pura in Seminyak especially has some very nice bars that start getting lively around 10pm.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,044 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jimbaran

Hi,

I have been going to Bali since April 06 and it does feel safe, with that in mind anything can happen anywhere, anytime. I feel safer in Bali than Dublin city center after midnight on a weekend.

To add on Mr Noodle post, I also had lunch at Jimbaran once last May and it was quite nice too albeit different from the traditional diner (no candle, music etc..), but I like the fresh seafood so much I had to try lunch as well.

Jimbaran has quiet water, not like Kuta / Legian were it can be hazardous.

I've always avoided july as it is the high season but weather wise it's the best season, dry and hot.

This area is not in the middle of things for entertainment but as previously mentioned you're about 15 mins from the Kuta / Legian / Seminyak area where the party is.

On the james Blunt / Robbie subject, I heard some convincing Russian Pop, the russian couple next to me couldn't stop laughing though.... ;)

London
Level Contributor
54 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jimbaran

I dont know where to stay.........

I want a 5 star luxury hotel, on a beach safe for swimming, within walking distance or bars/restaurants.

What are your opinions???

perth
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jimbaran

for real 5 star on the beach your looking at jimbaran,nusa dua or seminyak.

seminyak beach is a bit rougher,but great food and nightlife.nusa dua is nicer beach but further away from clubs etc but still has some bars and restaurants. six of one,half a dozen of the other. id stay at seminyak for the food and good shopping. july is a great month weather wise. no where near as humid.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jimbaran

Security will not be a problem, particularly at the 4S. The hotel is locked down, real security dogs at the entrance, real security checks, and roving beach patrols. Probably the safest hotel on Bali.

The bombings happened at the Muaya beach cafes, which are a short distance from the hotel. Its an open beach cafe with little security. Lightning could strike twice, but unlikely. I have been there many times before and after the bombing and never feel unsafe.

The sea is calmer in July, but can be roughish. The beach directly in front of the 4S is not the best, but ok. You can see pics at tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294226-c112528/Bali:…

If you want walking distance to bars and restaurants, then stay at Seminyak. 4S is not close to anything but the fresh fish cafes. There is a nice, but quiet, cafe on the beach in the hotel, also an excellent Italian trattoria nearby at Temple Hill.

4S is great for a honeymoon. you guys will love it.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,044 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jimbaran

Maybe have a look at Oberoi in Seminyak, the beach is reasonably safe and otherwise Sanur might have a hotel that fits your requirements and the beach is great.

Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Jimbaran

Security is pretty tight in four seasons.

The sea is clearer, cleaner and the beach is also very much better in front of Intercontinental hotel (within walking distance of four seas and also intercon is beside the seafood cafe/eatery).

July is a good time to go and it is considered peak period so most stuff will be pricier than normal. And the sea is calmer than during the monsoon season but their tide can come in pretty quick, usually at about noon.

enjoy!

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jimbaran

It's Sanur then and you can stay at the Hyatt there, although it's a hotel instead of a villa style from FS. The water is calmer and white sand. Never experienced the bomb as well and within a walking distance to restaurants, shops and a few bars open till 2 am.

Hope it helps,

Sandra