We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

another places in indonesia beside bali ever try to consider

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
202 posts
Save Topic
another places in indonesia beside bali ever try to consider

if no one like to come to bali because safety and security reasonany others option to go for indonesia holidays....???

many places also that interesting in indonesia ever try to consider it...???

so many good places in indonesia dont you like to see it too...??

becuse not all island in indonesia so touristic and being atarget for bomb terror.

any opinion...??

Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: another places in indonesia beside bali ever try to consider

My partner and I have decided we want to go on holiday Feburary 2008. We are young and decided Indonesia would be our best option because its not too far and resonably cheap, but we would have NO idea where to go or where to stay.

can you please help us with some ideas.

thank you,

dimsims

Bali
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: another places in indonesia beside bali ever try to consider

Bali is the safest place I've known. If you are afraid of the bomb, which was only twice so far comparing to other places, eg: London, India etc. then all you have to do just avoid crowded places on the week ends.

Balinese is the most honest people I've known, you won't find other places as safe as Bali. I even can't go across the road in Jakarta with handbags, mobile phone in the hand etc. etc. Too many don'ts make me stress.

Why Bali becomes a touristic place? Because it attracts tourists, it's as simple as that.

Bali beaches isn't one of the most wonderful beach in the world.

Bali landscapes isn't one of the most wonderful nature in the world.

Bali culture isn't one of the most intriguing culture in the world.

Bali temples are not one of the most beautiful temples in the world.

Bali shops are not one of the cheapest shops in the world.

But, the combination of all of them plus the Balinese people themselves make Bali is one of the most attractive tourist destinations.

Many islands in Indonesia has more beautiful beaches, landscapes, more unique culture, more beautiful temples and cheaper shops, but the people couldn't beat the Balinese.

Nothing personal though,

Sandra

Batemans Bay
Level Contributor
236 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: another places in indonesia beside bali ever try to consider

Here, Here Sandra couldn't agree with you more, no other place in the world that I could take my family, (who all adore the balinese) and have such a wonderful holiday. I remember on one of our trips, we met up with friends, who had only just arrived, and hadn't even been in Bali for more than half a day, fell in love with the place and vowed to return the following year, which they did. And how true, the hospitality and warmth of the balinese makes Bali such a wonderful place.

Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: another places in indonesia beside bali ever try to consider

thanks heaps,

this is actually the first time of planning my own overseas trip as I only recently turned 18, but its very exciting and i appreciate all the help i can get.

ive been doing a bit of research, and bali seems to be the place that stand out to me the most.

also, what about hotel wise? does anyone know of any good places to stay that are really nice, but slightly cheaper.

thanks for your help,

dimsims

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: another places in indonesia beside bali ever try to consider

Hi,

I have been to Indonesia 7 times since 1997 and have only spent short periods of time in Bali- bit too western for me.

During my trips I have spent time in Java and Sumatra, Lomobk and Gilis.

Last year I travelled as a lone female with no language skills for 5.5 months through Java for 34 days, Sumatra for 3.5 months, Aceh- right up the centre to Pulau Weh for 18 days, Kuta Lombok for 5 days and Tana Toraja south Sulawesi for 6 days.

Had the time of my life and lived my dream every day.

Have a look at my posts on Lonely Planet Thorn Tree forum where you can also take a look at my photos taken over the years.

search.lonelyplanet.com/ttsearch.do…

I am more than happy to help you with any other information you would like and suggest itineraries of where to go and what to do.

Pamela.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: another places in indonesia beside bali ever try to consider

Oh, I must add that during all of my travels I have met the most wonderful Indonesian people who have become firm friends over the years from the islands of Java and Sumatra and since last year I can include Aceh,Sulawesi and Lombok as well.

I am the honorary member of a big farming family 4 hrs south of Padang in West Sumatra since 2000 (having met them all in 1997) and have adopted the matriach as my 'grandmother'.

And I have so many special friends in Cianjur and Cipanas in West Java where I had a free English school for disadvantged children for 4.5 yrs.

So many travellers never venture beyong Bali so they do not know there are just as many beautufully natured Indonesian people on the other islands as well.

I have done things like walk around Medan in North Sumatra at 11.30 pm on my way back to my accomodation and never had any problems. Even when all the electricity went out and it was quite dark. I used the lights of the oncoming cars to get me back to my accomodation.

Sat in the street in Takengon, Central Aceh eating food with a couple hundred of Indonesian men at midnight and never felt safer.

Even managed to meet a young guy who could speak some English and engaged him as my guide the next day to walk around the breathtaking Danau Tawar ( Lake Tawar.)

As he and his friend had nowhere to sleep, they lived a long way away with their wives and children, I bought them dinner ($3AUD) and a room at the hotel where I was staying ($7AUD).

Had previously got a ride in a NGO kijang with two Indonesian guys whom I did not know, (Pak Mus, my homestay owner in Ketembe spoke with them), who took me from Ketembe to Blangkejeren ( 2hrs) and even bought my 70,000 ($10AUD) bus ticket for me to Takengon.

Engaged a young motor bike rider in late July 2006 I met outside a motor bike repair shop in Bondowoso in East Java to take me the next day to see the famous Kawah Ijen volcanic crater.

Engaged another young parking man in early July 2006 who could speak English to take me south of Yogjakarta to see the beaches of Parangtritis, Baron, Sundah, Kukup and Krakel I had previously visited in 2000.

Contrary to all the government warnings, Indonesia is quite a safe country to travel in and I proved that last year travelling all by myself for 5.5 months.

Previously the Aust Govt had sent me an email stating I could not go to any of the places I stated on my itinerary.

Thank God I completely ignored them and went.

Now I have the most wonderful memories, photos and can write about all my magic experiences on many different travel forums to let potential travellers to Indonesia that you can go in safety and have a wonderful lifetime experience.

Naturally caution re money, possesssions, luggage etc is always needed when travelling in foreign lands including Indonesia.

Pamela

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: another places in indonesia beside bali ever try to consider

dimsims

slightly cheaper than what ?

give us a price range and we can suggest a few hotels .

besides kuta , there are plenty more places in bali to stay if your not feeling to secure about going there .

it has never been a worry on my mind , i just stay away from kuta if i had to .....no problemo

cheers

batt

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: another places in indonesia beside bali ever try to consider

Dimsims,

Here is where I stayed in Kuta.

Ronta Bungalows, Legian Street Poppies Lane 11

Telephone 0361 754246

I paid 40,000 rupiah/night for a good size room with overhead fan, a great bed with good mattress and my own bathroom.

I only found it by accident in June. I had a taxi take me from the airport to another accomodation place I knew of a few years ago. Sadly it had closed down, so the taxi took me down Legian street, just past the Monument and dropped me off.

The taxi could not go down the street to Poppies where I wanted to go now, because it was one way.

So I had to struggle with my very heavy back pack all the way down this street and then someone directed me (turn left into Gang Ronta and a short walk to the bungalows.

I really enjoyed staying there and would not stay anywhere else now.

You have a choice of downstairs or upstairs and I loved sitting outside on their verandahs reading or sending smses- very relaxing. They have a very nice garden area as well.

The owners of Ronta are great people and only too happy to help in any way. They will store your back pack for free whilst you travel here and there.

They looked after my bib backpack whilst I flew to Lombok and then up to Sulawesi- for about 12 days.

There is an internet cafe just across the laneway where you can use the computer inside in the air con or outside on the verandah which I always used as I hate air con with a passion.

There are quite a few little warungs along the road- one really has great Indonesian food- I ate there often. And there is some live music some evenings during the week at one of the warungs.

I have a lovely friend Willy living in Bali at this time. He is originally from Sulawesi and he would help you if you need.

I can send you his mobile phone no.

A good tip is to take a mobile phone with you and buy cards in whatever country you are in and text your family and friends back in your home country with your contact no.

It is so much quicker than email.

Pamela.

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: another places in indonesia beside bali ever try to consider

dimsims

keep an eye on the flight center website , theu usually have a special of 10 nights for $99 pp .....they have a special now for 11 nights for $99 staying at the puri etnik , but its only valid until december .....have a look at it anyway , as this special comes on often.

flightcentre.com.au/holidays/…

cheers

batt

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: another places in indonesia beside bali ever try to consider

Here is the link to a report I wrote on another forum about my trip to Aceh in November 2006

…virtualtourist.com/discussion-69368-1-1-Tra…