We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Intercontinental Bali right for us?

Wolverhampton...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is the Intercontinental Bali right for us?

Hi, hope someone can help

Planning a surprise getaway for Mrs Hoozarmi in Nov and am wondering if this is the place for us.

Our last holiday was in Phuket and we stayed in the Laguna area, what we loved about the place was the luxurious (but not too expensive) hotels, away from the noisy bars and people who want to party hard. We certainly weren't after isolation and loved the fact there were several other hotels you could wander to for a drink in the evening and 5 or 6 very cheap local beach restaurants taht you could wander to.

At first glance the Intercontinental would appear to fit the bill

(i) 5 star hotel

(ii) Reasonable price

(iii) not too lively area

How near are the other hotels for wandering to and are there local beach bars and restaurants for us to enjoy. If there aren't any on the beach are there any within walking distance of the hotel?

If Jimbran doesn't fit the bill, any other suggestions would be welcome

Thanks

North Wales/Chester
Level Contributor
583 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Intercontinental Bali right for us?

Hello,

We have just returned from Jimbaran. The beach is lovely especially late afternoon when the locals come down and relax before sunset. The beach is quiet generally and it is a huge bay.You would struggle to walk from one end to the other. I highly recommend Jimbaran.

As far as venturing to other hotels this wont be possible as security is very high and you are not allowed to wander around other hotels. There are beach cafes,if you like seafood they come alive at night bbq'ing fish. We dont eat seafood so we ventured into Kuta/Seminyak to eat. There are no bars at Jimbaran. Again it would a cheap taxi ride into Kuta/Seminyak.

Hope this helps.

cheshire
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Intercontinental Bali right for us?

We too are looking at booking our Honeymoon next April at The Intercontinental. We too stayed at The Laguna area in Phuket this year - (great minds think alike!). We are also looking at The Oberoi in Seminyak. How far away driving time is Seminyak from Jimbaran, how much approx would it cost in a taxi? I like the look of The Intercontinental best especially all the perks you get if you book a "Club" room but dont want to be isolated and have to stay in our hotel every night as that gets boring and works out too expensive usually.

Avalon Beach...
Level Contributor
822 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Intercontinental Bali right for us?

It would probably be about a 30min taxi ride at the most from Jimbaran to Seminyak. Not sure of the taxi fare as prices are rising all the time due to the rising cost of petrol. I would guess the fare would be around the 70,000rp mark.

There are lots of seafood cafes on Jimbaran Beach but no bars. One of the highlights of staying at the Intercontinental is getting a beachside sun bed and sipping a cocktail while you watch the sunset. Try the lobster pizza while you are at it!

Whilst security is high, you can visit the other hotels to dine at, just tell them you are going to the restaurant for a meal/drink and ask if it is alright to have a wander around the grounds, we do it all the time.

cheshire
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the Intercontinental Bali right for us?

Sounds lovely - cant wait to go! Thanks.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
48 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the Intercontinental Bali right for us?

I just returned from a 4 night stay at the Intercontinental and boy was I happy I went!

Like what the other respondents said--the beach is lovely and quiet. No touts to bug you. Lovely bbq restaurants right next to the Intercon--I recommend Nyoman's--although I hear they're practically the same. Excellent fresh lobster!

I didn't need to venture out to the other hotels nearby--the Intercon was big and wide enough for me--with enough space to feel alone yet surrounded. I was travelling alone so I just got the basic Resort Classic room--upon arrival they upgraded me to the Singaraja wing which was much closer to the beach and pools and had a snack bar open all day (cookies, fruits, juice, biscotti, newspapers).

There were two places fro breakfast--the Grill and the Bella Singaraja. Tried the former only once because the latter was so much quieter, almost private in fact with a lovely view of the ocean.

Seminyak is 20-30 minutes a way and a bit crowded and noisy for my taste. You must try the Jari Menari spa though--certainly worth the drive.

One little caveat about the beach in Jimbaran--waves were rather strong while I was there--in fact there was a note from the hotel to avoid swimming in it in the meantime...did so anyway and had a great time as long as I kept my eyes on the incoming waves!

Have a great time! I know I did!

cheshire
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the Intercontinental Bali right for us?

It sounds lovely - thanks for your info.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the Intercontinental Bali right for us?

Note on waves - this was a temporary happening due to giant swells generated by a storm off South Africa (for real!). The waves did some damage to the Intercontinental's beach front, which now looks like a military fortress of sandbags. It appears the hotel is rapidly rebuilding its beach front and there is no impact on the guests, other than the odd appearance.

The Intercontinental gets high marks for keeping the beach area very clean. A crew cleans up any unwanted matter that turns up overnight and the beach sand is groomed each morning with a tractor.

If you want a smaller hotel and a more boutique experience, the Puri Bali a little ways down the beach is a good choice as well.

8. Re: Is the Intercontinental Bali right for us?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, September 02, 2009