We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight or Overnight Train Jaipur to Varasani in Dec

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Flight or Overnight Train Jaipur to Varasani in Dec

We have about 6 days and want to visit Delhi, Agra, Jaipur and Varanasi. I've found that flying from Jaipur to Varanasi means one stop in Delhi and that Dec can be foggy. That means there can be flight delayed and/or canceled. Should we avoid the risk and book an overnight train instead? We'll arrive in Delhi on 12/8 and plan to fly from Varansi to Kathmandu on 12/14. We are looking for the best route in order to maximize the time spent sight seeing. Thank you.

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,005 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight or Overnight Train Jaipur to Varasani in Dec

In Dec. there is also chance of train getting delayed and it can be for many hours. I feel that you should travel to Delhi airport by car from Jaipur and then from Delhi take a day time flight to Varanasi.

deepak

Agra
Destination Expert
for Agra
Level Contributor
4,897 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight or Overnight Train Jaipur to Varasani in Dec

My suggestion is to do a trip in this order so that Varanasi can be done at the last destination...........Delhi>Jaipur>Agra>Varanasi........train from Agra to Varanasi.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight or Overnight Train Jaipur to Varasani in Dec

Hi Olive

As said by deepak ji Trains might also get delayed due to intense fog during that period. So from my side also it will be good if you keep 1 day in hand and travel by car to Jaipur and Agra and come back.. Agra to varanasi is about 600 Kms. so its better if you take a flight from delhi to varanasi.

agra
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight or Overnight Train Jaipur to Varasani in Dec

Delhi-agra-jaipur-delhi-varanasi-kathmandu

Delhi agra jaipur delhi by car delhi varanasi flight.

Agra, India
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight or Overnight Train Jaipur to Varasani in Dec

During winters most of the trains get delayed and specially long route trains run late by hours so I would recommend you to fly to Varanasi instead of taking train. If you go for train then better to keep 1 day extra for Varanasi, just in case, else it may disturb your well planned itinerary.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight or Overnight Train Jaipur to Varasani in Dec

We are pushing the dates to earlier Dec. At first, I didn't like Deepak's suggestion of driving back to Delhi from Jaipur and then fly out from there to Varanasi but then, considering the flying times not just to varansi but also after India, to Kathmandu. Deepak's suggestion makes sense. Here is my revised plan: Delhi>Japur>Agra>Delhi, then fly from Delhi to Varanasi, stay there for couple nights (one day) and back to Delhi, then fly from Delhi to Kathmandu. Does it make sense?

Then when we drive from Agra back to Delhi, we can just go directly to the aiport. OR, since we have just 6 days, we should skip Varanasi all together. Since driving from Agra to Delhi, then fly to Varanasi would take pretty much one whole day.

Agra, India
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight or Overnight Train Jaipur to Varasani in Dec

Hi Olivebrown,

You may also consider planning your trip this way-

Fly from Delhi to Varanasi ( 2 nights)

Take an overnight train (1 night) from Varanasi to Agra (1 night)

Drive from Agra to Jaipur ( 1 night)

Drive from Jaipur to Delhi ( 4 - 5 hrs drive) and take flight from Delhi to Kathmandu on same day or next day.

It would cut short your flight from (Varanasi to Delhi)

I hope it helps.

Gateshead, England
Level Contributor
368 posts
887 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight or Overnight Train Jaipur to Varasani in Dec

OliveBrown

Your amended itinerary in point 6 above is good other than why don't you fly direct from Varanasi to Kathmandu, as we did in March this year. Makes a lot more sense than heading back to Delhi just to fly to Kathmandu. I also agree with you flying to Varanasi as we took the overnight train from Agra and it took over 13 hours. Makes you a little tired when you get there and this is not good on a tight schedule. In addition, and I haven't checked, can you not fly from Agra to Varanasi? You need to visit Varanasi as it is so different from the three cities in the golden triangle. Good luck

Lakewood, OH
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight or Overnight Train Jaipur to Varasani in Dec

That's a lot of traveling for even twice that long. I would recommend a 2 night excursion to Jaipur and Agra from Delhi, fly Delhi to Varanasi and then on to Kathmandu

Edited: 11:23 am, June 03, 2013
10. Re: Flight or Overnight Train Jaipur to Varasani in Dec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 05, 2014