We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Varanasi with teens

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
Varanasi with teens

Just wondering if Varanasi is a safe place to go with teenage children in December? Concerned about health issues. Any thoughts?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,609 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Varanasi with teens

The only way to guarantee safety is to stay at home behind locked doors. If you travel, especially to India, you need to be ready to come out of your comfort zone. Thousands, no, hundreds of thousands of people travel to Varanasi every day. Delhi or Jaipur or Agra are also crowded and dirty, not just Varanasi. You have to be ready to deal with it. Don't drink tap water anywhere. With bottled water and food from good hotels you should be fine.

Edited: 2:17 am, May 14, 2013
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Varanasi with teens

If you have not been to India before, you will find it to be a massive culture shock and will either love or hate it. Varanasi is a very dirty place, but you will see some amazing sights there. Take some hand washing gel with you and only drink bottled water which is available everywhere.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,200 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Varanasi with teens

Hi, I took my teens to Varanasi last summer and they loved it, it's was one of the highlights of our trip. I wouldn't pass it up if I were you, it is a great place for learning so many amazing things about history, people and culture.

jo

Edited: 11:49 am, May 15, 2013
Varanasi
Level Contributor
576 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Varanasi with teens

People get sick even at their home, advises above are good enough to make your trip safe.

Even though keep your third eye open and active just for your peace of mind :)

Agra, India
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Varanasi with teens

Just to add, avoid street food as well.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,200 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Varanasi with teens

As a first timer, I don't think u have to completely rule out street food. Having tea (chai) from a stand is safe in my opinion, as it is boiled beyond belief. also, if you get freshly cooked samosa and kachori, they should be perfectly fine. As well as Indian sweets from sweet shops.

My second trip I ate from most street stands and I was fine! Just my personal experience.

I wouldn't drink any water sure though!

Jo

7. Re: Varanasi with teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 20, 2014