We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train

dublin
3 posts
Save Topic
train

Has anyone any onfo on travelling by train from Varanasi to Kolkata? Tempted to splash out on first class sleeper - long journey and will need sleep.

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train

This train leaves from Mughal Serai, just 17 Kilometers outside the city, most of the fast trains for Delhi and Kolkatra leave from here.

For first class better to book ahed to avoid disappointment.

2312 KALKA MAIL Mughal Serai 20.40 Howrah (Kolkata) 07.10 travel time 10.30hrs

Runs Daily

costs

AC1 Rs 1670

AC2 Rs 999

AC3 Rs 737

SL Rs 282

Here's a longer option from Varanasi itself.

3006 ASR HWH MAIL P Varanasi Jn 17.00 Howrah 07.30 travel time 14.30hrs

Runs daily

costs

AC1 Rs 1785

AC2 RS 1065

AC3 Rs 776

SL Rs 286

dublin
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: train

Hi Thanks for promp reply. Do you know if there is a "buffet wagon"? Or should I bring my own food and drink?

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train

Both trains have a so called "pantry car" so meals and snacks will be available.

In the AC Classes there is a almost constant procession of attendants selling, veg cutlets, tea, coffee, Samosas.

There seems to be a lull mid afternoon around about 2pm - 5pm.

As well as this you can buy cold drinks, and mineral water.

The carriage attendant will ask you in advance if you want to order you breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Ask him to tell you what is on offer as there are often several choices in the vegetatian menu and the non veg menu.

Make your choice and the meals are served at about 07.00hrs, 13.00hrs 20.00hrs

You can also approach the pantry car itself if you really need something.

Take some fruit and biscuits.

Here's a link to some prices onboard the train!!

indianrailways.gov.in/deptts/…comm_33-2k3.htm

dublin
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: train

thanks for that cyberhippy very usefull info

can i get a beer or will i bring my own

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train

No beer I'm afraid and I think it's forbidden to drink on the train anyway, though many do.

Varanasi
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: train

Dear M/s Pal40,

Greetings from Varanasi!!

There is very convenient overnight train from Varanasi to Kolkata( Howrah station) called Vibhurti Express starting from Varanasi at 6.45 PM and reaches early morning to Kolkata.

There are no flight connections from Varanasi to Kolkata and therefore, this train will be very convenient for you.

Alternatively, you may take other trains for Kolkata from Mughalsarai Railway station which is approx.17 kms from Varanasi. Two trains namely Kalka Mail and Shipra Express leaves around 8.00 PM reaching Howrah the next day early morning.

7. Re: train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 29, 2010