We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ganges evening/morning boat trip in Varanasi

San Jose
Level Contributor
144 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Ganges evening/morning boat trip in Varanasi

Hi,

Reading on the web and seeing some videos, I noticed that all the boats are very simple without any decent seating and back support. My wife has bad back and I am worried that she will have tough time to sit on a bench without any support for two hours. I saw that Taj hotel has some upscale boat that they organize which has better accomodations. If anyone used it, I would like to hear about the experience. Any other suggestions for people with bad back are welcome.

Singapore
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ganges evening/morning boat trip in Varanasi

Hmm, I didn't see any upmarket boats when I was there, and it would be difficult for a larger boat to get in close to the ghats anyway. I have stayed a the Taj, but I don't know their boat.

However, you don't need to take a package boat ride - if you get a taxi/trishow to the river (assuming you are at the Taj its about 20 minutes) then the boatmen will find you for sure. If 2 hours is too long (which I think it is for one visit) then just negotiate exactly what you want. The extent of the main ghats isn't too long. So maybe take an early morning (around 6am) ride for 30 minutes, and an evening one the same. I realise that this may still be uncomfortable, but better than 2 hours!

Cheers, --Kip

Cebu Island...
Level Contributor
748 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ganges evening/morning boat trip in Varanasi

i agree with the previous poster, i haven't seen any of that type of boat you mentioned....those that i saw were pretty much simple, i did see one boat where they put in some of those plastic chairs in the middle. probably you can ask them to do just that and your wife can comfortably sit on the chair. we hired a boat from assi ghat for an afternoon ride of about 30 minutes and paid 300 RS (just 2 of us in the boat). the following morning, we joined a boat tour organized by the hotel at 120/person and there were about 7 of us. just to give u an idea of the rates.

have fun at varanasi.

normandy, France
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ganges evening/morning boat trip in Varanasi

Hello,

I see that you took your boat rides from the Assi ghat. Where did you stay in Varanasi? I am looking for something around INR 600 a night with river view and a decent restaurant.

Thanks

Cebu Island...
Level Contributor
748 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ganges evening/morning boat trip in Varanasi

i stayed at the scindhia guesthouse which is also along the ghat. it is very near the burning ghat - manikarnika ghat. i took a corner room with a balcony which overlooks the river. room was at 1200RS with AC, but i don't really think you'll need it as there are power cuts and it is just eventually useless. i have posted a review of the guesthouse, you might wanna read it. the guesthouse also has a website and they post their room rates.

normandy, France
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ganges evening/morning boat trip in Varanasi

Thanks for your reply. I just read your report on the Scindhia guesthouse. I have also checked their website. The rooms and balconies look great but there does not seem to be a decent restaurant in the place. Are there places to eat nearby that I could walk to easily in the evening on my own?

Cebu Island...
Level Contributor
748 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ganges evening/morning boat trip in Varanasi

there were a few small restos along the alleyways we passed by, but we mostly took our meals at restos at dasaswamedh road (15 mins walk)....i dn't recall seeing anything nearby. there's another guesthouse i saw, i think rashmi guesthouse which has a rooftop resto, but i think their rates are a bit too high.

normandy, France
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ganges evening/morning boat trip in Varanasi

Thanks again for the quick reply. I am really thinking now of booking somewhere on Assi ghat. It seems from reading different reports that it is a quieter area.

Noida, India
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ganges evening/morning boat trip in Varanasi

Go ahead with your spirutual trip to Varanasi, the oldest existing city in the modern era. Have a great holiday.

9. Re: Ganges evening/morning boat trip in Varanasi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, September 10, 2009