We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diwali in Uttar Pradesh?

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Diwali in Uttar Pradesh?

Right now I'm in Rishikesh for a few days and I want to head in the direction of Lucknow, Allahabad, Chitrakoot and further on to Madhya Pradesh (Khajuraho/Orchha/eventually Mandu/Indore). I'm a bit ahead of 'schedule', which means that I there is a chance I'll be in Chitrakoot/Khajuraho/another town when Diwali is celebrated, which I guess will be nice, but I want to experience (my first) Diwali in a place where it is really celebrated (according to my limited information, these are the cities).

So I'm thinking of lingering somewhat longer in UP to visit one of the cities which are on route (Lucknow, Allahabad) to celebrate Diwali. Is it recommended to experience Diwali in a city compared to a somewhat smaller place like Chitrakoot? Or is it maybe even worth it to take a detour to Varanasi? I've been to Varanasi before, therefore I thought of skipping it this time, but from what I've heard it's a good place to celebrate.

I figured I have three options if I want to experience Diwali in a city:

Rishikesh - Nainital - Lucknow - Allahabad - Diwali in Lucknow/Allahabad - Chitrakoot and further on

Rishikesh - Lucknow - Allahabad - Chitrakoot - Allahabad - Diwali in Lucknow/Allahabad - Khajuraho

Rishikesh - Lucknow - Allahabad - Varanasi - Diwali in Varanasi - Allahabad - Chitrakoot and further

I'm not sure whether I have to backtrack to Lucknow to get from Chitrakoot to Khajuraho anyway, but in that case option two would stand out I guess.

New Delhi
Level Contributor
4,023 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Diwali in Uttar Pradesh?

as per your planned itinerary in city Varanasi is better but smaller town is chitrakut good for diwali celebrate.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diwali in Uttar Pradesh?

Yes Varanasi will be the best place to enjoy this festival

3. Re: Diwali in Uttar Pradesh?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, December 01, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Lucknow