We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are we mad to avoid the Taj Mahal?

Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
29 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Are we mad to avoid the Taj Mahal?

Hi, we are planning an 8 night trip in Feb 2014, flying into Delhi & hiring a car & driver to visit Jaipur, Jodhpur & Udaipur. We are thinking of missing out visiting the Taj Mahal - are we mad? We want a luxurious trip so are staying at all Oberoi & Taj properties. We know that the journeys will be long & we are keen to keep travelling to a minimum. We have also heard that the drive from Delhi to Agra is not that appealing. Instead of a rushed 1 night stay in Agra we are thinking of doing 3 nights Jaipur, 2 Jodhpur & 3 Udaipur. We are travelling from Abu Dhabi, UAE where we have the magnificent Sheikh Zayed Mosque (which looks quite similar to Taj Mahal!) Is it really worth all the hassle of getting there to see the Taj?

Many Thanks - a weary Traveller Abu Dhabi

Agra
Destination Expert
for Agra
Level Contributor
5,310 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Are we mad to avoid the Taj Mahal?

To see the Taj Mahal is people dream...Taj is one of the wonder to be seen before the departure from the earth.You will be regretting not being at the Taj since so close to it and may be in future you don't get an opportunity again.Getting to Agra is very easy in the past and much easier today due to newly build Expressway...takes 3-4 hours from Delhi to Agra.

There is also an Oberoi property in Agra very close to Taj. One night is highly suggested to see 400 years old piece of architecture.

Decision is yours.

Rashid Agra

Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
29 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are we mad to avoid the Taj Mahal?

Thanks so much Rashid - I think we are beginning to feel that it would be a shame to miss the chance to see it.

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,078 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are we mad to avoid the Taj Mahal?

It is one of the wonders of the world. It is a world heritage site. Symbol of love a king built in memory of his beloved wife.

deepak

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,672 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are we mad to avoid the Taj Mahal?

I first saw the Taj at the age of 18 and was not impressed. I thought it wasteful and saw only the decadence of an extravagant monarch, who I felt could have put that colossal amount of money to far better uses if he had more empathy towards the people he ruled. But I was 18 and had distinctly left wing leanings at the time :)

I saw the Taj again at 35, and this time I took time to appreciate it's beauty. It is indeed beautiful, like a glittering perfect jewel. It is almost ethereal and only when you go closer you see the grand scale on which it is built. And you marvel at how it manages to look like a perfect delicate jewel even though it is so gigantic.

If you go to Agra, you will not regret it or grudge the drive from/to Agra.

However, there are many different types experiences in life, and if you choose to do this holiday to Rajasthan without the Taj, that is not a bad choice either. You will enjoy that trip also, and the three cities you have picked have many things on offer, in fact, so much to offer that you will wish you had stayed longer. For example, the temples at Ranakpur, which are between Udaipur and Jodhpur are outstanding. Kumbhalgarh Fortress is intimidatingly strong, and just last week has been added to the UNESCO World heritage list. Evenings at the Lake Pichola can be magical, like some exotic dream in which you are surrounded by havelis and palaces. The experience of the Thar desert, visiting villages and small hamlets near Jodhpur, is memorable. Jodhpur's Meherangarh Fort is stunning, and Jaipur's bazaars and its long traditions of handicrafts, jewellery and fabrics are reflected in its bustling bazaars.

So - I guess what I am saying is that it's not the end of the world if you don't go to Agra. If you do go, you will find that the Taj is more than adequate reward for the effort.

On a different note, there are far more beautiful things in India than the Taj, and that is of course my own personal aesthetic sense talking. Others may or may not agree. I found the Sun Temple at Konarak far grander and far more moving than the Taj. I also would rate the great Living Chola Temples higher than the Taj, because they represent a living continuity with our ancient culture, with prayers still offered at the temples in an unbroken tradition. I would even rate the Cave Art of Ajanta higher than the Taj Mahal, because it is far older, and far more truly Indian in nature, vibrant, living, bearing all the richness of Indian iconography. The Taj Mahal is, after all, primarily a Mongol / Persian monument, built by rulers who had only a 100 or so years earlier arrived in India, and grafted on to Indian soil with some Indian motifs incorporated. I am not inclined to think of it as the be-all and end-all of an India visit.

Edited: 12:00 pm, June 30, 2013
agra
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are we mad to avoid the Taj Mahal?

Don't miss it.Its not architecture of Taj only .

It create some energy , spiritualality, feeling that you are not going to forget in your whole life.

Bill Clinton said that "two types of people in the world first who've seen it and second who've not seen it" but both love it.

Rajasthan is just a copy of great mughal's fashion.There are some frustrated people always

making false points.They just satisfy themselves.Even Europeans were so jealous they claimed that an italian architect was involved.

And don't forget to see it at sunrise time.must have one night here.Have sunset view too from Mehtab Garden.Both are the best time.

Foreign tourism industry of India is running because of the Tajmahal.If you remove Taj from India.....

Your India visit is incomplete without Tajmahal visit.

Other great attraction in Agra , magnificent than whole in Rajasthan and India.

Magnificent Agra Fort ( world heritage)

Fatehpur Sikri (world heritage)

Sikandera ( emperor Akbar's tomb)

Etmad ud daulla's tomb ( baby tajmahal) must do

Mehtab Garden.

Shan Ali Agra

Edited: 12:46 pm, June 30, 2013
Agra, India
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Are we mad to avoid the Taj Mahal?

Since you are coming to India, you must see the Taj , it's said those come to India if they don't see the Taj ,that means they have not been to India , here are hotels of Taj and Oberoi group.......the hotel of Oberoi group is very close to the Taj.....

7. Re: Are we mad to avoid the Taj Mahal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, July 01, 2013
Agra, India
Level Contributor
587 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Are we mad to avoid the Taj Mahal?

Taj Mahal is one wonders of the world,Don't miss it.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,878 posts
1,922 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are we mad to avoid the Taj Mahal?

The Sheik Zayed Mosque may look like the Taj Mahal, but is not the Taj Mahal. If someone has gone to the effort to resemble it then should you not see the real thing if its nearby?

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Are we mad to avoid the Taj Mahal?

Hi

The sheikh zayed mosque looks breathtaking, would love to visit it! yes its true you might find the Taj Mahal a little dull in front of this breathtaking mosque. But I shall give you some reasons to visit the Taj Mahal and Agra. Taj Mahal has a huge historic significance and old world charm attached to it. Its architecture at its best belonging to that era of mughal empire while the mosque you are talking about is more recent established in 2007 i believe. Theres a vibe and feel in Taj mahal which can only be felt when you go there in person! Also you must visit the Fathepur Sikhri in Agra its lovely ! and try the Pethas ( A sweet meal ).