We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need suggestion for 3 day Del-Agra visit

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need suggestion for 3 day Del-Agra visit

We are planning a trip to Delhi this winter. Probably around December 15-20th. We are family of 4 with 16 & 8 yr boys.

Will be coming from Dhaka and plan to spend 3 nights around Delhi, Agra and 1 night in Calcutta. Didn't buy the plane tickets yet. We plan to use Jet Airways or Kingfisher Airlines.

We want to visit Taj-Mahal (primary reason for India trip), some historic sites in Delhi, do some cloths shopping, and whatever else we can fit in our schedule.

If we arrive at noon in DEL airport, can we take a taxi and go Agra, and overnight in Agra? Or it would be better to stay the night in Delhi and take Taxi/Train in earli AM next day to Agra?

If we can go Agra the same day, we see Tajmahal, at night, again see at dawn and taxi to Jaipur, spend a few hours to visit 1-2 historic sites in Jaipur and taxi to Delhi by 8-9pm. Is that possible?

We prefer to spend two nights in Delhi, do some Delhi site seeing and shopping (cloths only).

For womens cloths shopping, Which would be cheaper, Delhi or Calcutta?

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,005 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need suggestion for 3 day Del-Agra visit

If you come by noon at Delhi you can move to Agra from Delhi airport Night in Agra. Next day see the Taj early morning and Agra Fort. Drive to Jaipur via Fateh pur Sikri. On day 2 you can visit Jaipur in Morning and drive to Delhi in after noon. Night in Delhi.

If you are interested in saris then Calcutta will be definitely a place to look for otherwise Delhi.

deepak

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,312 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need suggestion for 3 day Del-Agra visit

Jaipur and Delhi are both excellent for shopping. However if you plan to cover Delhi - Agra - Jaipur in two and a half days there is no time for anything.

If you arrive Delhi at noon:

Day 1 - Arrive at noon, drive through New Delhi, do some shopping in the bazaars of Old Delhi (they are open until late). Please note the bazaars are closed on Sundays.

Day 2 - Express Train to Agra (2hrs), see Taj Mahal, Agra Fort, and optionally Fatehpur Sikri, evening train to Jaipur (4.5hrs).

Day 3 - Jaipur sightseeing and evening train to Delhi (4.5hrs)

Regards

Deepa

Agra
Level Contributor
145 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need suggestion for 3 day Del-Agra visit

Hi, as you have said Taj mahal is your primary reason to come India then first consider that and also don't try to cover everything during your travel instead of that focus on the best to make your traveling experience great and memorable

Day 1 - Reach Delhi - Hire a taxi and reach same day to Agra (4 hrs) (Toyota Innova)

Try to see Taj mahal during sunset (6:00 pm) from moonlight garden

Book a hotel in Agra for overnight stay so you can rest good

At 8:00 pm go for North cuisine dinner at good local restaurant and after that you can visit handicrafts bazaar for cloths and hand knotted sarees.

Day 2 - See Taj at sunrise (best time) and leave for Jaipur at 09:00 am while moving to Jaipur visit Fatehpur sikri (ghost town)

Day 3 - Jaipur sight seeing and move back to delhi in evening by taxi (5 hrs) or by train

and Jet airways is a better option now a days

Edited: 6:24 am, April 15, 2012
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Need suggestion for 3 day Del-Agra visit

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful suggestions. I really appreciate that. Yes, my primary reason is to see Taj Mahal, and a secondary reason is to buy good quality Salwar Kameez (womens indian clothing, but not sarees).

Please give me some more suggestions.

If I want a Toyota Innova, from Delhi Airport for Agra, how can I get the best price and not wait and hassle for too long? Is there any service that doesn't charge too much and wait for me holding my name outside baggage claim area?

For Salwar Kameez, is Old Delhi Bazzar the best place, or we can find similar price and quality also in Agra? We also plan to vist Kolkata, so between Old Delhi Bazar, Argra and Kolkata, is there a preference for buying Salwar Kameez, or all these three places are more of the same, in terms of price and quality.

Is there a must see in Delhi? if we have only 2-3 hours in Delhi for sightseeing, what should we do?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need suggestion for 3 day Del-Agra visit

In terms of places worth seeing, you're doing Agra, Jaipur and Delhi (personally, I;d actually rate Jaipuir first, for more worthwhile sites to visit, but your point on seeing the Taj is understood). So your priorities need to be to get the most out of Jaipur, after seeing the Taj in the evening and early morning.

So you might go straight from the airport to Agra, seeing the Taj in the evening but swinging by the fort and/or Itmad-ul-Daulah's Tomb. In the morning, be at the Taj at opening time, grab breakfast at your hotel and get onto the road to Jaipur asap. Driving into Jaipur you might have time to see the City Palace, Observatory and Palace opf the Winds. Next day, see any of those you missed, then to Amber - that could be the second highlight of your trip - then finally to Delhi. As suggested, getting to Delhi you may have time for shopping and a drive around. We liked Humayun's Tomb and Qut'b.

Many companies can put a tour together for you if you're not keen to arrange it yourself, including a car at the airport and gthe man wit your name on a board.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need suggestion for 3 day Del-Agra visit

Considering your primary attraction is to visit the Taj Mahal, I suggest the following itinerary:

Day 1 - On arrival Delhi at noon, drive straight from Airport to Agra.

Breeze through Agra Fort/Itmad-ul-daulah's tomb.

If time permits, view the Taj Mahal from Mehtab Bagh. O/n Agra.

Day 2 - Early morning at sunrise, visit Taj Mahal.

After breakfast, drive to Jaipur. Enroute, halt at Fatehpur Sikri.

At Jaipur take a quick tour of City Palace & Observatory. O/n Jaipur.

Day 3 - After an early breakfast, leave for Delhi. Enroute visit Amber Fort.

At Delhi,

Option 1: Check-in at a hotel and then take a walk to Old Delhi.

You can go thru the website and book a tour of 'masterji kee

haveli' which is one of the very popular walks.

Option 2: Visit Westside store at Ambience Mall, Vasant Kunj which

is on the way when you enter Delhi. They have decent and

reasonably priced Salwar Kameez and no haggling.(Store closes

around 2000hrs). I do not suggest shopping for this in

Old Delhi or in Kolkata. O/n Delhi

Day 4 - If you choose Option 1 on Day 3, then early morning of Day 4

visit Humayun's Tomb after which leave for Westside store

(store opens around 1100hrs). Take an early evening flight to

Kolkata.

For booking a car (Toyota Innova), I can suggest 'Metropole Tourist Service;

Mr. Ashwini, Contact: +91 11 24312212 Mobile:+91 9810277699.

I have found their services quite good.

When planning your itinerary for December, please take note of the following:

1. Due winters, sunrise is late (around 0700hrs) and sunset is early

(around 1730hrs).

2. Check on closed days for visit to the monuments.

3. Delhi and surrounding areas are prone to early morning and late night

winter fog. Flight disruptions are possible. Hence keep some

flexibility in your itinerary.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Need suggestion for 3 day Del-Agra visit

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. Now I have the plane tickets and visa in hand, I want to hash out the detail.

Arrive in DEL from CCU at 9:05am on Dec 17th, with AI 763

Depart DEL for CCU at 8:15pm on Dec 20th with AI 22

Here is the plan.

Dec 17th

Take a taxi to Agra hotel, can we reach hotel by 2pm?

Please recommend a hotel (~$100), near Tajmahal

Visit Tajmahal before evening, see Tajmahal from other side of the river at night, How? need suggestions.

Dec 18th

See Tajmahal in early AM, start for Jaipur by 9am with Taxi.

Can we reach Jaipur hotel by 1pm?

Please recommend a hotel (~$100), in Jaipur for best sightseeing.

Jaipur sightseeing in PM

December 19th

Taxi to Delhi, start by 7am, can we reach Delhi hotel by 11am?

Please recommend a hotel (~$125), in Delhi for best shopping.

Spend PM for Indian cloths shopping.

December 20th

If possible, spend early AM for Delhi sightseeing.

Spend noon-early PM for Indian cloths shopping.

Take Taxi to Delhi airport for CCU flight AI22 at 8:15pm.

Please recommend hotels in Agra, Jaipur & Delhi. Also recommend for car hire.

Does this itenerary makes sense? Should I change? How?

Our primary objective of India visit is Tajmahal and Indian cloths shopping. Visiting Jaipur and Delhi sightseeing is nice to have.

Tahnks in advance.

8. Re: Need suggestion for 3 day Del-Agra visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:01 pm, February 27, 2014
Agra
Destination Expert
for Agra
Level Contributor
4,897 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Need suggestion for 3 day Del-Agra visit

Yes if you choose to travel on New Express way u can get to Agra before 2 pm.

You can try Hotel Mansingh and Howard park plaza not far from the the Taj Mahal.

When you arrive in Agra if the day is clear is suggested to visit Taj Mahal....days in Dec gets foggy.(It is hazy right at the moment from 6-10 am in Delhi and Agra)The rest depends how the weather is going to be in Dec.

Following day visit Agra Fort/Fatehpur Sikri on the way to Jaipur.

In Jaipur try Shahpura house and Alsisar Haweli and Mansingh.

The plan seems fine u can follow what you have thought and set.

For car hire and hotel in Delhi search in the box above corner or there will be suggestions coming up from TA members soon.

Thanks and Regards

Rashid Agra

10. Re: Need suggestion for 3 day Del-Agra visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 03, 2013