We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nearest Train Station to the Taj Mahal

Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nearest Train Station to the Taj Mahal

Warmest greetings.

1) Does anyone know which train station is the nearest to the Taj?

2) Will it be easy to catch a taxi at the Taj (as right after the visit to Taj we will be train-ing to Orchha). So would be great if we could opt for a nearby train station.

Advices would be most cherished!

Thank you very much.

Sincerely yours.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nearest Train Station to the Taj Mahal

The nearest train station to Taj named Agra Fort Railway Station, 3KM to Taj Mahal.

There is no direct train to Orchha. You can take train to Jhansi Junction and by bus to Orchha.

All trains to Jhansi Junction are depart at Agra Cantonment railway station, the railway station is 6KM from Taj.

agra
Level Contributor
1,693 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nearest Train Station to the Taj Mahal

and use west gate of the tajmahal to get inside the taj bcoz just nearby west gate,there is purani mandi parking from here u can hire tuk tuk to reach the station.

Happy journey

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nearest Train Station to the Taj Mahal

There are tuk tuks everywhere you won't have problems with transport to and from the station.

2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nearest Train Station to the Taj Mahal

The Main station near Taj Mahal is Agra Cantt where all Trains have stops.

Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Nearest Train Station to the Taj Mahal

Dear All,

THANK YOU all so very much for your advices, they are truly valuable in my plannings for the trip. You guys are wonderful!

chinaloveland, thank you, I might opt for a train that arrives at Agra Fort railway station simply for the reason that it is the closest to Taj Mahal. We are allocating about 5-6 hours (train delays taken into consideration) at the Taj Mahal thus time may be abit constrained so we want to minimise any transport time to Taj Mahal where possible. Oh and thanks for the tips on Jhansi! :-)

agraguide, thank you, I would appreciate your kind clarification - assuming we enter Taj Mahal via East Gate, are we able to get out of Taj via WEST Gate (and vice versa)? I am just concerned if we are required to use the same gate upon entering and disembarking....

Chrella, thank you, very relieved to hear that!

theconnaught, thank you, though we may consider Agra Fort railway station to due its minimal distance to Taj Mahal as pointed out by chinaloveland. But if the train had only Agra Cantt, we will opt for that.

By the way, because it will be a day trip, ie we will see Taj Mahal and leave Agra same day, we will not be checking into hotels. My concern is our luggages. Do you reckon it is safe to keep our luggages at the railway station while we visit the Taj? I thought of the driver idea where we can keep them safely in the car boot, but I am rather hesitant in hiring one along with the cost, just to keep the luggages, moreover it's just the Taj that we will be covering (no other sightseeings in the city). What would your kind suggestion/recommendation be?

Thank you all once again, wishing you a great day ahead whereever you may be :)

Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Nearest Train Station to the Taj Mahal

Dear All,

THANK YOU all so very much for your advices, they are truly valuable in my plannings for the trip. You guys are wonderful!

chinaloveland, thank you, I might opt for a train that arrives at Agra Fort railway station simply for the reason that it is the closest to Taj Mahal. We are allocating about 5-6 hours (train delays taken into consideration) at the Taj Mahal thus time may be abit constrained so we want to minimise any transport time to Taj Mahal where possible. Oh and thanks for the tips on Jhansi! :-)

agraguide, thank you, I would appreciate your kind clarification - assuming we enter Taj Mahal via East Gate, are we able to get out of Taj via WEST Gate (and vice versa)? I am just concerned if we are required to use the same gate upon entering and disembarking....

Chrella, thank you, very relieved to hear that!

theconnaught, thank you, though we may consider Agra Fort railway station to due its minimal distance to Taj Mahal as pointed out by chinaloveland. But if the train had only Agra Cantt, we will opt for that.

By the way, because it will be a day trip, ie we will see Taj Mahal and leave Agra same day, we will not be checking into hotels. My concern is our luggages. Do you reckon it is safe to keep our luggages at the railway station while we visit the Taj? I thought of the driver idea where we can keep them safely in the car boot, but I am rather hesitant in hiring one along with the cost, just to keep the luggages, moreover it's just the Taj that we will be covering (no other sightseeings in the city). What would your kind suggestion/recommendation be?

Thank you all once again, wishing you a great day ahead whereever you may be :)

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,028 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nearest Train Station to the Taj Mahal

There are two main stations Agra Cantt. and Agra Fort in Agra. Distance wise or time to travel from Taj is almost same to any of the above. Trains coming from Delhi (from North) or going towards Jhansi (to South) stop at Agra Cantt.

While Agra Fort is stoppage for Trains travelling Varanasi (East) to Jaipur (West) direction.

deepak

agra
Level Contributor
1,693 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nearest Train Station to the Taj Mahal

there is no problem with entrance and exit from any gate.u can use any gate to get in or to get out.

Railway station is safe option for luggage.but they dont take any valuables and bags should be proper locked.

Have a nice journey my frnd

Shanoo

Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Nearest Train Station to the Taj Mahal

deepakAgraIndia and agraguide, thank you so much for the great insights.

do you reckon which is a better option, storing our luggages at the railway station, or the taj mahal? or both is equally fine? does the storage entitle a fee of some sort?

once again, thank you so much for taking the trouble in addressing my concerns. you guys are most helpful in so many ways.

wishing you well and happy travel always.

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,028 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nearest Train Station to the Taj Mahal

There is a place to store luggage at Agra Cantt. station and for that you have to pay. I am not sure about availability of clock rooms at Agra Fort.

At monuments it is free. First look for the place to keep luggage after buying the entrances and then go towards the Taj Gate.

deepak