We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in Agra - advice needed

London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
2 days in Agra - advice needed

Hello,

Im going to Agra from Jaipur on the Udz Gwl Super Express and arrive around 11am into Agra, will check into my hotel for one night - the howard park plaza - anyone heard of it or stayed before? so I will have the day to see Taj Mahal and Agra fort etc...time I get to the Taj will be afternoon, do you think this would be too busy to visit ? and maybe do the agra fort this day?

Would getting up for the opening the following day be advised when less tourists are there? and its not as warm? im going start of April...will Agra be very hot then?

I will have to check out my hotel by 12.00 that day, and my train back to Jaipur is not till 5pm that night....where do you sugggest to leave my luggage? at the hotel? or at the Agra Cant station and get it before my train? Im booking the CC AC chair class for me and my friend, will we have seats together or is it a first come first serve basis?

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,642 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in Agra - advice needed

Howard Park Plaza - 3-starish hotel offering a pleasant stay in Agra. Notthing to write home about, but not bad either. Reviews here (a couple of bad reviews recently, but most people seem to think its ok):

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g297683-d307322…

April - very, very hot in the afternoons. Evenings and mornings are pleasant. Temperatures for Delhi in April are here; Agra will be similar:

wunderground.com/history/…MonthlyHistory.html

Even now in March is it very hot an my tourists are already moaning and groaning :)

Avoid sightseeing in the afternoon and stay indoors. Go see Agra Fort in the evening on Day One and Taj at dawn on Day Two. Then on Day Two you can do the 3 hour extension trip to Fatehpur Sikri if you want, before heading to the train station.

Bags can be left at the hotel, they will hold it for you.

Train tickets come with pre-reserved seats, the coach and seat numbers are written on the ticket.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in Agra - advice needed

I'd definitely go the next day in the morning to see the Taj. Go when they open and you'll even find a small queue of eager foreigners waiting to get in. It's quieter, lighting is great for photos and you'll enjoy it much more. Keep in mind they are quite strict about what you can take in there. Cameras are fine of course. I've actually got a video of the Taj Mahal at dawn on my profile if you are keen to see.

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,052 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days in Agra - advice needed

I very much agree what Deepa has mentioned .Howard park plaza is good hotel and not very far from Taj mahal west gate.Temp. in day time may go up to 40 degree celisius.

On day 1 after visiting Agra Fort you can do Itmad-ud-daula(Mini Taj) and then go to Mehtab Bagh at sun set for beautifull view of Taj Mahal from other side of the river.

Day 2 early morning visit to Taj and a trip to Fatehpur sikri. You can leave your luggage at hotel after check out and can collect later when going to railway station.

deepak

Edited: 5:03 am, March 19, 2010
Agra, India
Level Contributor
750 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days in Agra - advice needed

As said about it earlier....Howard Plaza is not the very best in that segment of hotels, in fact I feel there shortage of a good quality hotel in the 3.5 - 4 star range in Agra......a New Hotel "Raj Mahal" in this segment has come up recently but I haven't had the opportunity to visit it yet and also haven't read any reviews about it so far......if you have already booked then you obviously can't do much about it.....I would rate it as an Average 3 star charging you 4 star prices.

Regarding your tour to Agra, I would completely agree with Vedic_Odyssey's advice to go early morning 2nd day day to the Taj Mahal......April is a very good time of the year to see the Taj Mahal at sunrise.....the sky is very clear and view is fantastic.....there will obviously be less people..... aim at 0545 HRS....The Taj Mahal is about 15 mins from Howard Park Plaza......

Happy Traveling......

Sunil

London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days in Agra - advice needed

Thanks for al lthe advice! im going to with the plan of seeing the Agra fort on my first night and Taj early morning the next! I was hearing there are monkeys in the Taj that are trained to steal tourist's money? it sounds funny but ill def be keeping my money out of sight!

Is it best to get a guide for the Taj? and do they take your bag off you? I leave this thursday for my trip to India and im soo excited/nervous!

Agra, India
Level Contributor
750 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days in Agra - advice needed

I have been going to the Taj Mahal for last 4-5 years now and have been there about a thousand times, have heard many cases of pickpocketing but haven't heard of monkeys snatching money...... no not all....although there are monkeys at the Taj Mahal, but it is not that they are everywhere....not very many.....

I would highly recommend you take a tour guide for your tour to the Taj Mahal and the Agra Fort simply because it adds so much more to what you see.....so a Big yes for having a guide.....

They allow you to carry handbags inside the Taj Mahal.....but are very strict on what they allow you to carry inside....only carry you camera, money purse, water, medicine (If you need to carry any), cellphones are allowed, makeup items are allowed, sunglasses, are allowed....

Eatables, magazines, newspaper, tobacco or any kind of tobacco products, Ipods, electronics, toys etc. are not allowed.....

Have a great trip.....

Sunil

7. Re: 2 days in Agra - advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, September 19, 2010