We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private car to agra

Which Agra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
Level Contributor
160 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Private car to agra

Hi all,

We are looking at travelling to Taj Mahal from Mumbai.

I have done searches on the forum, and see there is no flights, so either train or car.

I prefer the train (safer) but i cant seem to get a schedule. Been messing around on the site for ages.

We dont arrive in Mumbai until 7am from a cruise ship, so may miss the early express train that seems to be what everyone is talking about. Cant tell if there are more trains cant get site to work.

If we go by car how do we find a reputable person, with a decent car prior to arriving. Wont have time to mess around when we arrive.

Or possibly a day coach tour may be the go.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Caz

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,264 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private car to agra

The driving style in India takes some getting used to. But I have not heard of any tourist accidents or deaths on the Agra highway. If it were that unsafe, we'd hear of it. Get a big car, not a tiny dinky one, and don't be tempted to grab the lowest price you are offered.

The cheapest car is 3500 or so, it is usually a small Tata Indica, and you will be offered this by most operators.

…tatamotors.com/tatamotors/…CompareCar1.aspx

I'd recommend you ask for a bigger, comfortable vehicle since you have to be in it for 8 hours. My suggestion is this one, a Toyota Innova:

toyotabharat.com/inen/cars/innova/index.asp

I've heard prices quoted from 6000 to 7500 for Innovas for an Agra trip. It depends on the quality of the vehicle, whether it is single or dual AC etc.

Monument entrances are a total of 1000 rupees per person - although new (higher!) rates are going to be declared in September.

If you are not taking a guided tour to Agra, you can hire story-tellers at the monuments - they speak a broken sort of English and don't really have their facts correct, but it is better than nothing.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,264 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private car to agra

I just realised you said Mumbai! If your cruise ship arrives in Mumbai, you need to make an overnight trip to Agra.

Fly Mumbai Delhi, the earliest flight you should plan on taking is a 11:00 a.m. flight, or slightly later. Drive Delhi-Agra, or take the train to Agra. Then spend overnight in Agra.

Next morning, see the Taj and drive back to Delhi, take the flight back to Mumbai if you have to be back on the ship.

Most cruise ships offer a Taj supplementary tour, I would encourage you to take it. They'll make sure you're back on time.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,264 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private car to agra

Another option is to fly Mumbai-Agra with Kingfisher Airlines. They are the only airline doing this route, so book early. The flight has a stopover in either Jaipur or Delhi.Go to the Kingfisher site and check timings, please write again if you need more help.

- Deepa

Perth
Level Contributor
160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Private car to agra

Hi Deepa

Thank you so much for your reply.

I have looked at Kingfisher Air and there schedulie dont match in with the times to be back on the boat.

I have looked at getting off the boat in Dubai and fly to Delhi and then onto Agra. Seems to work. .We have 2 days bobbing in the ocean so we dont miss anything

But we still have the problem of getting back to Mumbai. I agree we should get a bigger vehicle, but how do i find a driver that is reputable.

Any ideas?

Thank you so much for your help. Greatly appreciated.

Caz

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,264 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private car to agra

Let say you get into Delhi from Dubai on Day 1. You press on to Agra - either by train, road or flight. It really depends on the timing. Personally, I prefer the road, because end to end it is the most convenient. You can get picked up from the airport and taken to Agra; spend overnight in Agra. Day 2; see the Taj early morning, and then drive back to Delhi. You can fly Delhi Mumbai, there are hourly flights.

The Agra-Delhi drive is 4 hours. Train is 2 and a half, but end to end, from airport to station and station to monument, you don't end up saving much time, plus there's the hassle of getting a car at Agra station.

For car recommendations - there are several car rental companies; many offering a pretty standard service. Please hunt for it on the internet, and post the terms here; we can tell you if the price is ok.

Perth
Level Contributor
160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Private car to agra

Hi Deepa

I just looked at a map of India.

Please excuse my ignorance. Not sure why i thoueght Agra was close to Mumbai. Its no where near there!!

Yep definately going to be a plane ride both ways.

Looks like Dubai,Delhi,Agra,Delhi, Mumbai.

May not be worth the hassle to visit the Taj Mahalr Have to rethink this part of our trip.

Once again thank you so much for your help.

Caz

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,264 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private car to agra

The Taj at Agra may be the main draw, but Delhi itself has some very good sightseeing; so does Mumbai. There are several UNESCO World Heritage sites in these two cities. If you have the time, then Dubai - Delhi - Agra - Delhi - Mumbai is definitely worth doing. Let me know if you need help with the itinerary.

IL
Level Contributor
77 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Private car to agra

Hi, Since you were looking for a simple way to book a train, you can try at http://www.irctc.co.in/

which i found after having the same problem.

9. Re: Private car to agra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, October 01, 2009