We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Delhi to Agra

London
Level Contributor
12 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Delhi to Agra

Please advise on the best train from Delhi to Agra? Cost is not an issue! I want to stay in Agra for one night, visit the Taj early in the morning (this seems to be the best time of day? ) then get the train back to Delhi and fly onto Goa...Thanks

My itinerary looks like this:

Arrive Mumbai 2 Nights

Fly to Delhi - train to Agra 1 Night

Train back to Delhi & fly to Goa for around 6 nights

Goa to Mumbai and fly home...

Dose this seem practical? or any advice on arranging the internal bits as so far i have not booked any of the internal bits...MANY THANKS!

Jaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur
Level Contributor
3,238 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Delhi to Agra

Avoid Delhi and take the train to Agra from Bombay & back. Chk with Steven_Ber at www.indiamike.com

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Delhi to Agra

Direct Train from Mumbai to Agra takes around 22hrs journey one way, if you have the time to spend then you can. The fare in AC 2 Tier would be approx $40 one way and the only convenient trains from Mumbai side would be Punjab Mail and this train requires advance reservation.

2137 +PUNJAB MAIL MUMBAI CST 19:40 AGRA CANTT 17:50

In return direction its at 8.55am

2138 +PUNJAB MAIL *AGRA CANTT 08:55 MUMBAI CST 07:35

There are other two trains which is arrives at odd hours and not recommended.

As you say cost is not a issue, then your plan specified is perfect i guess i.e. Mumbai-Delhi-Agra-Delhi-Goa

London
Level Contributor
12 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Delhi to Agra

Thanks very much. We only have around 10 nights in india altogther and really dont fancy a 22 hour train journey!!!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Delhi to Agra

The way I would do (and have done) Agra from Mumbai is as under (I don't fancy long train rides either):

Take the evening flight from Mumbai to Delhi. Stay overnight at Delhi.

Early next morning take the Shatabdi Express to Agra (departs about 6 a.m.), reaches Agra about 8.15 a.m. or so.

Spend all day in Agra and possibly even manage Fatehpur Sikri.

Leave Agra for Delhi by the Shatabdi on its return run (departs about 7 p.m., I think), reach Delhi about 9.30 p.m.

Stay overnight in Delhi again. Depart next morning for Goa.

London
Level Contributor
12 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Delhi to Agra

Thanks very much! That is very useful.

6. Re: Train from Delhi to Agra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, September 03, 2009