We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Ooty in October 2012

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Ooty in October 2012

I am planning to visit Ooty by 1st of October 2012 . Will it be the right time to visit ? I heard that Ooty will be deserted by that time and only very few people will visit by that time . How will be the climate ?

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Visiting Ooty in October 2012

Hi...

It has been clear yesterday.. Today seems to be a little cloudy.

Regards

Prasanna

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
16 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Visiting Ooty in October 2012

Hi Ooty Experts

I am planning to have a 2 night /3 day trip in ooty in Mid Nov. I will be driving from Bangalore with 4 adults and 1 kid.

I am budget minded traveller who does not want to do too much at one time.

How should I plan my day? I am interested in taking the toy train .

For stay which option is better ooty or concoor?

Any help is appreciated

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Visiting Ooty in October 2012

If you are a budget minded traveller, take a SIC basis tour which would be offered by travel operators in Ooty. They have a few options and I would suggest you may choose the ones that suit you. A toy train ride in a 3 day trip would not be my personal choice, as it would more or less take most of a day. Might be for experience, just do Ooty - Coonoor or vice versa. In your case, I would suggest Ooty as everything would be around. Coonoor might be a little quieter but commuting might be an issue.

Chennai, Tamil...
Level Contributor
34 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Visiting Ooty in October 2012

Dear Prasanna and rajan,

I am Back from Awesome Ooty!!

About Ooty, wow its Excellent... I enjoyed the Beautiful ooty the most this time all because of no rain, which i was fearing about..

And dear Prasanna and Rajan ur Advice Absolutely helped me lot.. I am Crystal To u both, A LOT...

Ok... Now here is the Review of my trip to Ooty :-

A) First let me start with the Routes including the Visit (Start to End) -

We Took NH45, NH47 and SH15 to Reach Ooty..

1) Started home (Chennai) by 7:25am in Innova (Drizzle Was there).

2) Stopped a Hotel Highway Inn near Madhurandagam at 9am.. (Drizzle Continues)

3) Left Hotel and headed NH45 until Ulundurpet. Road is just superb.. We reached speeds upto 130Kmph. (Drizzle continues)

4) Took Left to NH47 and headed the way as this : Kallakurinchi - Attur - Selam - Bhavani - Avinashi - and Mettupalayam... The NH47 is finished superb upto Selam (Speeds Upto 120Kmph) and after that its comes like Finished Bit by bit.. (It was Drizzling upto Bhavani And Then No Rain).. We tool food at Avinashi at a local hotel named Saravana Bhavan.. Worst hotel but we had no other option..

5) Reached Mettupalayam by 3:30Pm and look Kotagiri Road as per ur Advise boss... (absolutely no Rain :-) )

6) On way to ooty stopped for more than 6 places to view the valley down and hills and took atleast 400 snaps.. These stops were also meant Vomitting :( (No Rain at all, SH15 was excellent)..

7) Reached Ooty by 5:45pm... approx 10hrs including stops for eating and Hills viewing.... 540kms...

8) Got Room no. 604 super deluxe room at 6th Floor at Hotel Darshan.

B) Now about visiting at Ooty -

ABSOLUTELY NO RAIN AT OOTY FOR 2DAYS... Its was Sunny for both days on 25th and 26th including the return day the 27th.. We felt slight droplets drizzle at 6mile as it was a mountain terrain...

1) 24th Evening - Visited Market place until night 9pm.. Bought some homemade Chocolates and socks and muffler.. Dinner at Darshan Restaurant (Hotel Darshan itself).. Worst food…

2) 25th morning – Took breakfast at Nahar’s Garden Restaurant. Yummy food. Then First Visited Dodabetta Peak, Then Tea Musium (did no go in because my mother can’t walk up the stairs), Botanical garden and Rose Garden.

3) Took Lunch at Mutton Biriyani at Quality Restaurant. Food was Good but was bit salty.. Then Visited Udagamandalam Railway station (NO Train at Station :-( ), Wax Museum and Finally Ooty Lake (Did not do boating :-( )..

4) Dinner at Nahar’s Chandan Multi Cuisine Restaurant.. Food was nice, But they made an order mistake.. We ordered Mushroom Gravy but they served Cauliflower.. But we got both for the price of one..

5) 26th morning – Took BF Garden Restaurant. Then Left to Westbound of ooty.. Took NH181 and First Visited Pine Forest, then Sagar Dam, Then Sagar medu, Then 6th mile, the Pykara Dam (Closed and locked down) and finally Pykara lake and boat house.. We skipped pykara falls as security said that there was no water down there :-(. We also skipped mudhumalai National Park because the govt had closed it :-( . We came back to Nahar’s Chandan to have meals.. Then we came to room Straight by 4pm.. We had planned for Marketing in the evening but everything got spoiled due to sleep..

6) Woke up by 8pm and headed back to Nahar again for dinner to hav idly. But they did’t had. So we ate idly at Hotel Charring cross. Worst food there.

7) 27th morning – Checked out hotel by 9am. On way to Nahar we saw Train was there at Station so we tried to visit. But the security did not let us in to visit.. They said we needed platform ticket!! There was heavy queue so we skipped.. Took BF at Nahar’s Garden and then did shopping there.. Bought some items and left. Took the coonoor raod and visited Sims parks. Then from there headed to Kothari (via a bypass). Reached Metupallayam by around 2pm.

8) Took Lunch at Asoka Inn (Non-Veg) near Black Thunder. Food was great, but they r cheater in terms of Serving food.. We ordered for two Rs.140 Fishes, but they Served us two Rs.250 fishes and left by 2:30pm.

9) Then we two same route back until Avinashi. Took left and Visited Tirupur (By Around 4:20pm) to buy some low cost Whole sale Dress wears..

10) Left Tirupur by around 6Pm and Headed back same route. Took dinner at a local Vasantham Hotel near Uludurpet by 9:45pm and Reached home by around by 2am in 28th..

C) About my Stay at Darshan Hotel -

Yeah, it was good.. But was not excellent... Will Review it..

I took atleast 3300 photos in this tour..

Dear Prasanna, U r probably my Favorite Adviser here in the TripAdvisor..... Because of your Advice, Everything went well.. Our usual Main Problem in Food, that went perfectly well due to ur Advice of Nahar Hotel.. Thanks to Rajan too..

Thanks a 1000 lot for that Ji..

I will be posting reviews for every single place ASAP…

Will never forget Ooty Tour in my life… :-)

Best Regards,

Rajiv

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Visiting Ooty in October 2012

Hi Rajiv..

Those are very kind words. We, me & Rajan, absolutely like what we are doing here and the pleasure is always ours.

Anyway, as we were confidently advising you on rains, we had left necessary instructions at Ooty regarding your visit and the weather that needs to be there... Lol... How was that?

Very happy that you had a great trip.. It is nice to read people writing trip reports after their visit, so that we also get updated. Thanks for that.

Regards

Prasanna

Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,205 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Visiting Ooty in October 2012

Hi Rajiv

Thanks Prasanna, you said it !!!

Glad you had a nice vacation. I'm reminded of an old adage . . . . .

No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.

Welcome back and take care

regards

Rajan

Edited: 9:06 pm, October 28, 2012
Chennai, Tamil...
Level Contributor
34 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Visiting Ooty in October 2012

Thanks a lots and a Big :-) to both u best advisers - Prasanna and Rajan...

The Visit will stay in memory 'Fresh' ever..

Regards,

Rajiv

Bengaluru, India
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
48. Re: Visiting Ooty in October 2012

Hi Prasanna,

We are planning to visit Ooty on 19th October 2013 and stay for three nights. So can you please let us know which roads we should take from Bangalore as we will be coming from Bangalore by car. We have baby with us so which is the best way to reach Ooty & safe way. How would be the weather.

How are the roads and is it safe.

Bengaluru, India
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
49. Re: Visiting Ooty in October 2012

Hi Prasanna,

We are planning to visit Ooty on 19th October 2013 and stay for three nights. So can you please let us know which roads we should take from Bangalore as we will be coming from Bangalore by car. We have baby with us so which is the best way to reach Ooty & safe way. How would be the weather.

How are the roads and is it safe.

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Visiting Ooty in October 2012

Hi DivyaVivek...

Welcome to Trip Advisor...

The following links will be helpful to you as this topic has been discussed various times before...

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g297679-i12969-k590…

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g297679-i12969-k652…

In case you have further clarifications, kindly post.

Regards

Prasanna